Ed' 7:1 Blend -- 80g Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
edunfired39071.jpg

......made with a mixture of 7 Ingots of Pure lead and one of 40-1. Again, my bullets are made from the (45-380M) mold from Accurate Molds.......

Ed

IMG_4915.JPG

Between rifle, and bottles is 25 yard.

IMG_4916.JPG

IMG_4925.JPG

Bullet destroyed the first two bottles tossing them afar. Bullet went through third bottle; into fourth bottle where it was caught.

IMG_4926.JPG

IMG_4929.JPG

IMG_4931.JPG

IMG_4927.JPG

IMG_4930.JPG

Still great weight retention. What a hole that would make. How did it feel on your end Ron?

Still great weight retention. What a hole that would make. How did it feel on your end Ron?
Hi Art,

Didn't feel it. Did notice the first shot at paper though. Woke me up. Aim was a way off due to previous shooting been using 50g Blackhorn. This morning, three shots at paper, then this one. Recoil is moderate; do have a good Limbsaver pad on the Omega. A way more recoil using 80 grain compared to 50 grain, but no bother really. Perhaps one would add powder if elk hunting? For that longer shot? Perhaps not?

80grV of BH209 imo is the very upper end for that bullet weight in a 45cal. I wont use that much unless its needed to group well. I shoot more like 70gr by volume and thats plenty fast for kills out to 125yards or more. 80gr is almost certainly producing over 1400fps with a 390gr conical.

Thanks Ron.
Great results as expected.
Based on other 80grV test with lead in that weight range, seems soft lead performs (mushroom, penetration & weight retention) regardless of design.

Once I shot a 500+ grain boolit out of a gonic with 110 grains of triple 7 3f. That was all I wanted.

WOW!! Is that impressive!! Man, that has to create some tremendous shock to anything it hits! Wonder if there would be any shank left with the pure lead bullet?
Thanks Again Ron I would have loved to be there to personally watch those water jugs blow up and fly through the air spraying water all over the place. :D

Ron how far away was the camera to the water jugs? The reason why I ask is It appeared the lens got wet from the spray of water?

Sure does look like the water hit the lens, but it didn't. Evidently the spray missed just low. Seems like the camera was about 20 feet from the bottles. If memory serves, the camera has been hit by water twice before, during the capture, but not this time.

The lens was not cleaned before the after photo of the bullet were taken; those photo are clear, not through water drops.

The camera was located a little closer than usual this time, because of a patch of Canadian Thistle.

Seems to be a good bullet Ed. Maintained some shank; did considerable damage; Good penetration; recoil isn't intolerable. This shooter was so focused on watching the bottles, and squeezing the trigger, now have no recollection of recoil. Did manage to watch bottles flying. Thank's for sending the bullets; it was fun.

Somebody check my math....
40 parts lead + 1 part tin = 41 equal weight parts
Assuming the ingots are all equal, and using 1lbs as the weight, here is the math..
16/41=0.390243902439024 Which would be the weight In ounces of the total tin in the batch.
7 ingots pure + 1 Ingot mixed = 8 total ingots.
8x16 = 128 total ounces
128-0.390243902439024 =127.609756097561 total lead in the mix
Gonna round off now:
127.61/.39=327.21
327.21:1 ratio
Ed, did you check the hardness of this bullet Before you sent them to Ron? Curious where they would be. My guess is pretty darn close to 5 BHN still.
You do have a dang good performing bullet right there, regardless of the BHN

Back