Ed Mason M1911A1 Muzzleloader Conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FalseMuzzle

Reaction score
Good Morning!

I have a M1911A1 "upper" that is a single shot muzzleloader in .45 caliber. The "slide" is stamped Ed Mason which I assume is the maker. Does anyone have any information on this person? All I can find is that he was a gunsmith in TN. and a competitive BP shotgun shooter.
The "upper" is extremely accurate. 30gr FFFg and a .440 PRB have been the best combination so far. The plan is to hunt small game with it this year. Would like to shoot it in modern BP matches as well if I can find any.
Any information on him would be appreciated. Must have been an interesting person to spend the time and effort to do this.

Thanks!

Attachments

• EdMason_1.jpg
    EdMason_1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • EdMason_2.jpg
    EdMason_2.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 2
  • EdMason_3.jpg
    EdMason_3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • EdMason_4.jpg
    EdMason_4.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 1
That looks like fun! I had a Pachmyer SS conversion in 7/08 for a 1911 but did not like it at all, this looks like something I need

Good Morning!

I have a M1911A1 "upper" that is a single shot muzzleloader in .45 caliber. The "slide" is stamped Ed Mason which I assume is the maker. Does anyone have any information on this person? All I can find is that he was a gunsmith in TN. and a competitive BP shotgun shooter.
The "upper" is extremely accurate. 30gr FFFg and a .440 PRB have been the best combination so far. The plan is to hunt small game with it this year. Would like to shoot it in modern BP matches as well if I can find any.
Any information on him would be appreciated. Must have been an interesting person to spend the time and effort to do this.

Thanks!
Call NMLRA , they have matches most of the summer in Friendship , Indiana

Mike Luma had an article in Muzzle Blasts a couple of years ago on the pistols. Contact the NMLRA for his contact information. I believe the pistols are still being made. Let me check my files to see if I have the article.

I found the article and the person Mike mentioned was Phil Quaglino.

You might check with Mike to see if he knows the maker, send me a PM and I will give you his phone number.

Last edited:
To be honest.... I kinda like the thought of a BP upper for my AR, either short for my stockless han-solo-blaster-esque lower or rifle length for my target rig A2 lower (2lb hiperfire trigger... no creep, no overtravel, just break). But then, I'm not gonna pay $1k for it either....

At one time, he had a shop in the back of Dowdle Sporting Goods in Memphis. Had a great reputation.

Latest posts

Back