Editing an old Post

Discussion in 'Modern Muzzleloader Announcements & Help' started by sabotloader, Jan 15, 2020.

Modern Muzzleloader

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

1. Jan 15, 2020 #1

sabotloader

sabotloader

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast Supporter

I am wondering why we have lost the ability to edit one of our older posts? Several of my posts were written when I was using Photobucket, and most know the story of the Photobucket saga, I have all the pictures transferred to another host site. I would like to be able to go back into these posts and correct the X-out pictures.

Sideshow likes this.
  2. Jan 15, 2020 #2

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member ADMIN Global Moderator

Hi there. Do most of your images show in one section or one forum? I can amend your editing abilities for a time so you can edit those photos.

Sideshow likes this.
  3. Jan 15, 2020 #3

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Most forums allow a small amount of time to edit and then it goes away. I think 12 or 24 hours is pretty common.

4. Jan 15, 2020 #4

Angie

Angie

Angie

Here a regular member has a full 1440 hours, and supporting members have a43200 (30 days) as a thank you for supporting the forum. Since sabotloader has been on staff and use to unlimited time, it will feel confining to him.

CatamountRob likes this.
  5. Jan 15, 2020 #5

herschel conyers

herschel conyers

herschel conyers

Supporter Supporter

My edit feature leaves in less than 24 hrs.

Sideshow likes this.
  6. Jan 15, 2020 #6

Angie

Angie

Angie

Thanks, I'll need to check the settings. And talk with Hal to see if I'm all mixed up.

7. Jan 15, 2020 #7

sabotloader

sabotloader

sabotloader

Angie still do not understand why a person con not edit a post as needed when needed. Although in this case Hal has taken care of the problem for me.

Since I have been here for so long I really do have some posts that are way back in time. As they re-appear and I check them - that is when I find out that Potobucket has blocked the images. Case in point is in the Inline section the thread PBR for scope zero. Some relied lately to that one and I could not go in and fix the pictures.

I believe BUSTA had the same problem recently.

mike

8. Jan 15, 2020 #8

Angie

Angie

Angie

I have made sure that registered users have one day to edit and supporting/sponsors have one month.

Now, if there is a section someone wants to update from long ago, just send me a message and tell me where. I'll extend the editing time for awhile so it can be updated.

And we do not leave extensive time for editing as some people in places have gotten their shorts in a twist and gone on an extensive editing to delete all their content. Then we have to go back and try to get it back, so it is better to give a reasonable time for most cases and then offer to work with someone in a case such as yours.

9. Jan 15, 2020 #9

halloflin

halloflin

halloflin

I am fine with 24 hours for regular members and 30 days for Supporting Members. I also agree with Angie and her above post. We have had this happen. Members can also PM me and we will work with members to get their old post pictures updated. That is what I did for sabotloader today.

Sideshow, herschel conyers and Angie like this.
  10. Jan 15, 2020 #10

sabotloader

sabotloader

sabotloader

Hal one more favor then could you go into the discussed post and add this line for me. You will need to change the parentheses () to brackets on each end of the img statement . This will change it from a tumb nail to a picture

(img)https://i.postimg.cc/63JdfZgR/Lehigh-452-265-CF-HP.jpg(/img)

[​IMG]

11. Jan 15, 2020 #11

halloflin

halloflin

halloflin

Angie, let's give Mike editing privileges for a period so he can make his changes.

12. Jan 15, 2020 #12

Angie

Angie

Angie

For sure. I'll take care of it.

13. Jan 15, 2020 #13

Angie

Angie

Angie

Mike, I have you set up to edit anything you need to. Sorry I didn't understand what was happening at first.

14. Jan 16, 2020 #14

Sideshow

Sideshow

Sideshow

Thank you to all involved !!!! A picture can be worth a thousand words at times !!! The pics being unavailable are a shame and often a great loss to all . Its very , very cool that this is being addressed . I hope that all who have used some type of photo service will check their old posts and correct them if possible . Thanks again !!!!!

Angie and halloflin like this.
  15. Jan 16, 2020 #15

BuckDoeHunter

BuckDoeHunter

BuckDoeHunter

Good to know I may still be able to fix some of my older posts, I saved all my photobucket pics and was halfway to fixing my old posts when the editing feature was changed.

Sideshow likes this.
  16. Jan 16, 2020 #16

sabotloader

sabotloader

sabotloader

It used to be standard operating procedure that any member could edit any of his own posts for any amount of time. Having this freedom is really handy for correcting errors, adding information or in my case trying to update a very old post from years ago. And adding that since I was on this forum a really long time and accumulating 8,000 some posts over that time there is always a possibly to need to edit as old posts are occasionally brought back to the top. In may case the Photobucket change has created many blank spots in old posts. Guess I really should not use as many pictures. But then again in my case a picture shows me more than a ton of words. Damn! I am getting old...

Hal did explain the reasoning behind the change - that one individual did create a problem for the forum and I do understand his concern, but as many members that we have and one or two people create a problem that all of the rest of us become effected by rule changes seems a reach.

17. Jan 16, 2020 #17

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

If you upload your pictures to a 3rd party site like P-Bucket and then close your account, don’t all the pictures go away anyhow? Even if the editing is turned off?

18. Jan 16, 2020 #18

GM54-120

GM54-120

GM54-120

Xenforo caches pictures from 3rd party hosts but if that picture changes such as the PB watermark or blurred out it can still ruin the pic. So if you deleted the pic from a 3rd party site....that dont mean its gunna be gone from the forum. I can test this i guess easy enough with some of my pics.

19. Jan 16, 2020 #19

GM54-120

GM54-120

GM54-120

20. Jan 16, 2020 #20

GM54-120

GM54-120

GM54-120

ATM i cant think of any forum that allows you to edit your post forever. HNI changed after someone went back and ruined 100s of threads/topics. Its pretty common for a user to want to leave and take his input with him. Problem is that input is no longer their property. You sign that away with the user agreement when you become a member. Its in virtually any EULA ive seen on forums.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/tos/

Draft saved Draft deleted