Elk Country

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
I love where elk live. This video should get your juices flowing.

WARNING...........If you watch it more than once you'll get hooked on the music and won't be able to stop watching it.

No idea about the backyard pet buck.

Last edited:
It looks like it but this guy hunts in a few different states. It looks like where I hunt so Colorado is a good guess.

Man that was cool! Loved that trail cam pic of that big velvet bull screaming behind the young bull.....

I'm making a scouting run up to Colorado for a long Labor Day weekend. At 67, it will be a test of my will to find out how 'out of shape' I am... Coming from almost sea level, I know it will be a challenge, but I'll be in no hurry to see what I can find out.

Take it easy and go up high in steps. I live at 8000ft and going to 11,000ft still takes an adjustment for me. Of course, being 77 doesn't help that. I don't have the reserve energy I had when I was younger. Being tired is about the only effect I have going high but there's a lot more that are serious and can kill you. Be careful.

Being older and wiser now, I know not to push too far and hard. I am taking 3-5 days to go up & down the Spanish Peaks at a decent pace to find a wallow or two. It would be sweet to hear my first elk bugle too. One way or the other, it's gonna be fun and exhausting.

I do not know your barriers to going on a Western elk hunt ....but If you can in anyway make an elk hunt happen I would suggest pulling out all the stops...many states have an OTC counter option...

I do not know your barriers to going on a Western elk hunt ....but If you can in anyway make an elk hunt happen I would suggest pulling out all the stops...many states have an OTC counter option...
I put in for the draw hunt here in Oklahoma but didn't get picked for this year. Private land is still an option for me here. Kinda slim chance to get permission from a land owner.

Are you insinuating that I'm old?

I wouldn't do that. :)

Don't consider an OTC rifle elk hunt. I doubt you'd enjoy it. Way too crowded and the elk are much harder to find that time of the year. Plus, you could be dealing with bad weather. Do the muzzleloader elk hunt in mid Sept. Nice weather and it's during the rut. Some units can be gotten during the draw with 0-1 point.

I wouldn't do that. :)

Don't consider an OTC rifle elk hunt. I doubt you'd enjoy it. Way too crowded and the elk are much harder to find that time of the year. Plus, you could be dealing with bad weather. Do the muzzleloader elk hunt in mid Sept. Nice weather and it's during the rut. Some units can be gotten during the draw with 0-1 point.
Muzzleloader would be more to my liking for sure.
I'll have to look into it more.

I'm making a scouting run up to Colorado for a long Labor Day weekend. At 67, it will be a test of my will to find out how 'out of shape' I am... Coming from almost sea level, I know it will be a challenge, but I'll be in no hurry to see what I can find out.
I commend you sir & I'm even abit jealous. Take it all in while you still can. Enjoy & stay safe

Elk country is beautiful country for sure.
I'm about 2 weeks away from heading into the elk woods with a bow in hand. My time hunting elk in the rut is far and away my favorite of all hunting.

Latest posts

Back