Elkastrami

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LHR

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Finished Making some more Elk pastrami yesterday and it turned out fantastic.

Elkastrami.jpg

Here is my recipe:

Elk Pastrami
Ingredients
5 lbs. of elk or deer brisket or flat round roast or any cut you want really.

Brine
1 gallon water
1 ½ cups kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
8 tsp. Instacure No. 1 (pink salt)
2 Tbsp. pickling spice
¼ cup honey

Rub
3 Tbsp. black pepper
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. garlic powder

Directions

1. In a large pot set over medium heat, whisk together the water and brine ingredients. Lightly simmer until the salt and sugar are fully dissolved. Remove the pot from the heat and, when cool, transfer to the refrigerator.
2. Once the brine has chilled, add the meat. Place in a large Tupperware container being careful to ensure the meat stays fully submerged. Refrigerate for 3 to 5 days (great for Jerky strips), depending on the thickness of the meat. (Longer the better) For a thick roast I will leave it in for 28 days!
3. At the end of the curing period, remove the meat from the brine and rinse thoroughly. If you’re worried about the finished product being too salty, soak the roast in a bowl of cold water for a few hours or overnight. Remove the roast from the soaking water, rinse and dry thoroughly. It will be very salty even with fresh rinse/soak overnight.
4. Combine the rub ingredients and coat the meat well. On thinner cuts, consider rubbing only one side.
5. Preheat a smoker to 200-225 degrees. Once it reaches temp, add the meat and hot-smoke it until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 150 degrees.
6. Preheat your oven to 275 degrees.
7. Remove the meat from the smoker and place on a rack in a roasting pan. Add about an inch of game or beef stock to the pan, seal tightly with foil and place in the oven. Steam for 1 to 2 hours, or until the meat is tender.

Finished Making some more Elk pastrami yesterday and it turned out fantastic.

View attachment 22979

Here is my recipe:

Elk Pastrami
Ingredients
5 lbs. of elk or deer brisket or flat round roast or any cut you want really.

Brine
1 gallon water
1 ½ cups kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
8 tsp. Instacure No. 1 (pink salt)
2 Tbsp. pickling spice
¼ cup honey

Rub
3 Tbsp. black pepper
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. garlic powder

Directions

1. In a large pot set over medium heat, whisk together the water and brine ingredients. Lightly simmer until the salt and sugar are fully dissolved. Remove the pot from the heat and, when cool, transfer to the refrigerator.
2. Once the brine has chilled, add the meat. Place in a large Tupperware container being careful to ensure the meat stays fully submerged. Refrigerate for 3 to 5 days (great for Jerky strips), depending on the thickness of the meat. (Longer the better) For a thick roast I will leave it in for 28 days!
3. At the end of the curing period, remove the meat from the brine and rinse thoroughly. If you’re worried about the finished product being too salty, soak the roast in a bowl of cold water for a few hours or overnight. Remove the roast from the soaking water, rinse and dry thoroughly. It will be very salty even with fresh rinse/soak overnight.
4. Combine the rub ingredients and coat the meat well. On thinner cuts, consider rubbing only one side.
5. Preheat a smoker to 200-225 degrees. Once it reaches temp, add the meat and hot-smoke it until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 150 degrees.
6. Preheat your oven to 275 degrees.
7. Remove the meat from the smoker and place on a rack in a roasting pan. Add about an inch of game or beef stock to the pan, seal tightly with foil and place in the oven. Steam for 1 to 2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
Does the finished meat taste salty? My wife is very sensitive to salt but this looks delicious.

When i do pastrami, i start out with soaking the brined meat in plain water. This is using store bought because they are almost all super high sodium. Pastrami is basically corned beef that has been smoked.

When i do pastrami, i start out with soaking the brined meat in plain water. This is using store bought because they are almost all super high sodium. Pastrami is basically corned beef that has been smoked.
This last batch I flushed with fresh cold water, let it soak overnight in the fridge, flushed again, let it soak again overnight. Then finished with the smoking and steaming process. It turned out much better, but it is still salty for anyone who might be sensitive to sodium. It's the nature of it, you can't change that with pastrami.

Latest posts

Back