Encore 209x50 pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowderBurner

Reaction score
With the recent threads here about the CVA Optima pistol, and folks adding an adapter to put a rifle stock on it, I have a question regarding T/C Encore 209x50 pistol barrels in the same vein. Let's say a guy has an Encore pistol frame, and a 209x50 muzzleloader pistol barrel on it with a pistol grip, can the pistol grip be taken off, and a rifle stock be added without getting in hot water with the government/regulation? I am already aware of previous rulings regarding pistol to rifle and vice versa depending on the classification from the factory as to what the frame was designated as- pistol or rifle. My understanding is these previous rulings/clarifications were for center fire barrels, both rifle,pistol, and shotgun. So, does this also apply to the the muzzleloader barrels- pistol and rifle as well?

Last edited:
I believe the encore doesn't fall under the SBR rules while it has the ML barrel on it. That was my understanding when I decided to put the stock on my Optima pistol. Although being able to be converted back to CF the Encore may be different. I bet law enforcement would make their determinations on the spot, and maybe let a judge sort it out.

Yeah, as things are as they are in the country right now, it would be better to avoid such a determination on the spot by LE, if at all possible. No sense going into that situation if it can be avoided beforehand.

Since the TC Encore is purchased as a Form 4473 Firearm, I'm Fairly Certain you can use a Buttstock & Centerfire Barrels.
I have a friend that uses "All" the variations it offers. That .50 Cal Pistol Barrel has Wicked Recoil! 🐎

I think I need to fine tune my question in this thread. Again, if I have an Encore pistol frame, mount a Encore 209x50 pistol muzzleloader barrel on it, and then mount a Thompson Center rifle stock on it, am I making this gun a SBR by definition, even though the barrel is essentialy a short muzzleloader barrel?

IIRC the .50 Cal Barrel is 15" Long so if it was a Centerfire Barrel it would be illegal, but it is a BP Barrel?
Do you live in New Jersey?

Since the TC Encore is purchased as a Form 4473 Firearm, I'm Fairly Certain you can use a Buttstock & Centerfire Barrels.
I have a friend that uses "All" the variations it offers. That .50 Cal Pistol Barrel has Wicked Recoil! 🐎
You posted as I was typing. I already know that an Encore centerfire pistol barrel on a Encore pistol frame, with a rifle stock, is a no go.That is a SBR, by definition. Less than a 16 inch barrel is a SBR. Does the same apply to a muzzleloader pistol barrel being mounted, therefore making the gun a carbine Encore muzzleloader? If this is one of those grey area deals, then so be it. Just looking for clarification, and preferably by someone that has a FFL 01, or 03.

IIRC the .50 Cal Barrel is 15" Long so if it was a Centerfire Barrel it would be illegal, but it is a BP Barrel?
Do you live in New Jersey?
No, on living in New Jersey. Yes, the Encore 209x50 pistol barrel is a muzzleloader barrel.

Well, with all the views of this thread, and only replies of a couple of forum members, maybe admin can close this thread. I viewed a recent thread in the smokeless alternative forum about making a muzzleloader pistol, plus with the threads in this sub forum about adding a stock to an Optima V2 pistol, I just don't get the lack of response on this thread.

Well, with all the views of this thread, and only replies of a couple of forum members, maybe admin can close this thread. I viewed a recent thread in the smokeless alternative forum about making a muzzleloader pistol, plus with the threads in this sub forum about adding a stock to an Optima V2 pistol, I just don't get the lack of response on this thread.
I think your setup is just too much a grey area that you might need to talk to your local DNR, police, or Conservation officers about.

No more grey than adding a stock with a Farrow Tech adapter to a Optima V2 pistol. Or making a smokeless muzzleloader pistol from whatever build someone wants to use. Appreciate the reply, but- well, I''ll leave well enough alone.

From what I could find, muzzleloading guns aren't considered as firearms. Some old Colt and Remington revolvers have shoulder stock adapters available.
Uberti sells a model called the Cattlemen's Carbine.
It appears that all the language about SBR's has to do with modern firearms.

Modern firearms, that's why i think your Encore may have different status than the Optima. The Cattleman Carbine is considered an antique, the Optima can't be converted to shoot modern cartridge ammo, the Encore isn't an antique design and can easily be converted to CF. In the end its going to come down to a Law Enforcement Officer and/or a judge to determine whether or not its an SBR.

This is the reason I lopped off my 209x50 barrel to 16 3/8" so it would be legal in either configuration. A shorter muzzleloader barrel in rifle configuration is likely legal but why avoid the hassle.

Man, you sure opened a can of worms with your question. I would imagine that for every law enforcement agency/officer you check with, you're going to get a different answer !
I, personally, would leave it at home, to avoid any potential problems. But that's just me.

IL hunting regs state that a MZ rifle will have a barrel "no less than 16"", so it is clear. As far as the Feds are concerned, IIRC MZ are not recognized as firearms to be regulated, regardless of the frame. The Encore frame is a 4473 item, not the barrel.

Latest posts

Back