Encore 357 Max barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot W296 in my Scout with Barnes XPB 140's and Hornady XTP 180's. My hunting load this year is 23.5 gr W296 with Barnes XPB 140's. With the Hornady XTP 180's is 22 grs of W296. All lit by Rem 7 1/2 primers in Rem Max brass.

I gonna try the Barnes 180 and 200 gr TTSX in the rifle, along with some others.

In my cva scout I’m shooting a 180xtp with 23.5gr of w-296 and in my mgm 21” 357 max I shoot a custom 180gr Henson hp over 24gr of h-110 from a left over loaded batch. I just picked up some 296 at a gun show and am currently using that. 110 and 296 are one in the same.
Have you tried any other bullet weights in pistol or rifle?

Have you tried any other bullet weights in pistol or rifle?

Yes I also shoot speers 180gr hotcor and remningtons 180jhp. The Remington pistol bullet performs wonderfully in both rifle and pistol setups. I have shot deer and porcupine with this bullet and expansion has been devastating

I also shoot the 140ftx in the pistol

I gonna try 140 to 200 gr bullets in the rifle. I shot 180 XTP in the pistol in the beginning. I mainly shoot Barnes 140 XPB in the pistol now. I may try the Barnes 125 TAC-XP in the pistol when working on loads for the rifle.

I gonna try the Barnes 180 and 200 gr TTSX in the rifle, along with some others.

200 TTSX's are going to run out of steam pretty quick in the Max and the 180's won't be too far behind with a minimum opening velocity @ 1800 fps. And considering 1800 fps will get you some expansion, I would not really want impact velocity to be much below 2000 fps. TTSX's will just limit your range with their expansion threshold.

I would shoot Fury bullets out of a Max if I had one.

200 TTSX's are going to run out of steam pretty quick in the Max and the 180's won't be too far behind with a minimum opening velocity @ 1800 fps. And considering 1800 fps will get you some expansion, I would not really want impact velocity to be much below 2000 fps. TTSX's will just limit your range with their expansion threshold.

I would shoot Fury bullets out of a Max if I had one.
I was looking at trying the Fury bullets....

I bought every box of 357 MAX I could find till there were no more in DFW area. I now have hundreds of once fired brass and several hundred new Remington unprimed brass. The last gun show i went to at Market Hall in Dallas i bought 500 Remington 180 grn sjhp bullets dirt cheap. Between the 10" Contender in 357 MAX and my 14" barrel in 35 Remington those bullets may not last too long. I tend to hunt with the 35 Remington more now. The 10" MAX has a lot of wrist torque to it. The 14" 35 Remington is just plain brutal after the 3rd or 4th shot. I have 4 rings holding the scope on it. Deadly out past 125 to 150, longer than i can shoot anymore.
DL

I
I bought every box of 357 MAX I could find till there were no more in DFW area. I now have hundreds of once fired brass and several hundred new Remington unprimed brass. The last gun show i went to at Market Hall in Dallas i bought 500 Remington 180 grn sjhp bullets dirt cheap. Between the 10" Contender in 357 MAX and my 14" barrel in 35 Remington those bullets may not last too long. I tend to hunt with the 35 Remington more now. The 10" MAX has a lot of wrist torque to it. The 14" 35 Remington is just plain brutal after the 3rd or 4th shot. I have 4 rings holding the scope on it. Deadly out past 125 to 150, longer than i can

Now that Starline is making brass you can get ammo from Steinel or Reeds. For those that handload pistol bullets work great on whitetail out to 200 yards. I picked up Remington SJHP Bullets in 180gr the last time Remington ran a batch.
MGM built me a 20” full bull on a 1:14 Excalibur blank then had it chambered by Mike Bellm.

upload_2020-1-29_22-15-0.jpeg

I recently got MGM full bull 1-16 barrel chambered by Mike Bellm. I got to start working on loads for.

HawgHunter
I like that stock. Those 180gr SJHP are hard to beat arent they? I have 2 bullets i extracted from deer in my gun case. Perfect mushrooms. The 180gr sjhp and a 140gr Sierra 7mm boat tail that i fire out of my 10" 7 mm TCU barrel. Have yet to extract one fired from the 35 Rem 14" barrel. Mostly pass threws.
DL

Back