Encore at 300yds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, from what I've seen, I would definitely do pillars in a wood stock that I cared about.

So I finally got the stock after waiting an additional month or so more than expected and took it straight to a gunsmith who had pillared complete stocks before and he was unsure of what needed to be done as far as pillars for my encore. He looked it over and wasn't sure what to do with the dovetails or mounts already on the barrel and I was no help other than saying they told me I should get it pillared. What pillars had you used and did they replace the dovetail mounts installed on the brux barrel?

Keep the dovetail stand offs on your gun...I used 1/2" aluminum pillars...Adjusted the length of the pillars to make contact with stand off...contersunk the pillar to keep forend screw centered...It makes a solid mount plus it will keep your forend from splitting....
Zen

Another thing to consider ...I mounted the pillars to standoffs prior to epoxy...wrapped a couple wraps of tape at both ends of barrel to provide a free float clearance between barrel and forend when complete...set the barrel with epoxied pillars installed into the forend...taped the two together to hold in place until cured...make sure to put release agent, plummers putty in dovetails where needed (Johnson clear boot polish)...and plenty of epoxy where needed...good luck
Zen

Last edited:
Back