Encore Loads?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panhandle

Reaction score
Hey Guys...
I just built an Encore Pro Hunter SML conversion using a MGM (Arrowhead) barrel / 1" full bull contour. I'm looking to shoot 275gn Fury bullets, smooth form/ H4198 powder. Do any of you shoot something like this and if so do you have a favorite powder load.. Luke suggests keeping it 2500-2600 fps with this barrel...This is my first Encore build...always have shot bolt guns. If you have any suggestions as to powder amounts and accuracy I would appreciate it.
Thanks Zen

Hey Guys...
I just built an Encore Pro Hunter SML conversion using a MGM (Arrowhead) barrel / 1" full bull contour. I'm looking to shoot 275gn Fury bullets, smooth form/ H4198 powder. Do any of you shoot something like this and if so do you have a favorite powder load.. Luke suggests keeping it 2500-2600 fps with this barrel...This is my first Encore build...always have shot bolt guns. If you have any suggestions as to powder amounts and accuracy I would appreciate it.
Thanks Zen
If it were me, I'd follow Luke's recommendations ;)

I am currently waiting on a smokeless encore barrel also except a Brux/Hankins HIS. From everything I’ve read it seems 55-65 grains and a 275 bullet is a good combo. With 60 grains being the most common. Some say a wool wad is necessary some say not. It all depends on the barrel.

Thanks 03mossy... I think you're right about 55-65gns is in the ballpark. I'm not trying to push the limit with this gun...just wondering how much powder would get me to 2500-2600fps that Luke recommends...just a start..I'll make adjustments when I chrono it at the range.
Zen

Here's the new gun....I loaded up some 60-63gn loads of H4198 and sized some 275gn Fury Star Tips....first time to the range...We'll see.
Zen

Great looking rig! I’ll be waiting for your range reports as I have the same plans. Are you going to use wads or not?

I have the same barrel from Luke, and man, I love it. Could not get sabots to shoot well for me, but it sure likes smooth form with 4198 and dry wool wads. I originally shot Pittman AccuMax 275 gr with 57.5 gr and it gave me one hole groups at 100 yds. Lately I have been shooting Barnes 250 gr TEZ. I can get 1'' groups with them shooting 60 gr of 4198. The 290 gr TEZ does not shoot bad either, about a 1.5'' group with 60 grains as well. With the all copper bullets I will size just a hair loose and knurl back up. Seems to work for my barrel. I have not experimented past 60 grains of powder. But if I do, it will only be with a 250 grain bullet max. I have not chronoed any of my loads with this gun as of yet. Been too lazy to lug and set it up when I shoot.
There is no doubt in my mind the Fury bullets will shoot good out of your gun. Will probably take a little tweaking. Looking forward to hearing your report.
Good Luck

I'm getting 2550 fps MV and sub MOA accuracy at 200 yd with the Fury 275 Star Tip 2 & 60 gr 4198, with a veggie wad, from a Bestill Omega with a 28" barrel, radial brake and ASG 209 breech plug. I took 3 deer last fall, 2 165-170 bucks at 90 yd and a small doe at 65 yd, using the Fury 275 Star Tip 2 and the bullet that preceded it, the 275 FAT. All were dead in their tracks.

Back