ENDS THE STUCK BREECH PLUG BLUES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow,
Forgot to ask earlier, what do you use to clean the Permatex compound from the threads after shooting?

And, is this a better option than using anti-seize? Reasons

Sideshow,
Forgot to ask earlier, what do you use to clean the Permatex compound from the threads after shooting?

I've used brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol to clean it up. It's a tuff cleanup for sure. Time will tell if it's better. The anti seize works well for me but i am trying out this stuff to see for myself.

Sideshow,

Most of the time only a rag to clean the threads on the plug . After it dries up a bit i use a brass toothbrush . The breech i use a shotgun bore brush . If you got a 5/8 plug (.625) use a 16ga bore brush on an old non rotating t --handle shot gun rod . 11/16 plug a 12ga brush . Turn the brushes counter clockwise while holding it in . The old rolls out , almost effortlessly .
Its better cause anti seize is messier and doesnt seal a thing .
The thread sealant seals the threads ,not only from primary seal leaks (bp to barrel) but also weather and its not NEARLY as messy as antiseize or moly grease . Grease period really . No petroleum near powder remember ???

Remember too no stuck plugs . No backup for primary bp to barrel seal for most others either .

Antiseize is helpless against bp to barrel leaks and ive had stuck plugs using it . Greases too . Teflon tape isnt 100% reliable in and out and reinsertion is a joke . May not reseal . Hell may not even STAY ON THE PLUG .

NEVER had stuck plugs with the permatex thread sealant for nearly 30 yrs now .

To be perfectly honest i kinda gigle to myself when guys have stuck plugs and keep doing it the SAME WAY SAME STUFF . AND they will defend that method ........WOW !!!!

Last edited:
I've used brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol to clean it up. It's a tuff cleanup for sure. Time will tell if it's better. The anti seize works well for me but i am trying out this stuff to see for myself.
The key for me for easy cleaning is to work smarter not harder . Wipe WITH the threads . Clean breech female threads holding brush in while turning counter clockwise . Denatured alcohol or menthanol works really , really well . The menthanol in denatured is the key i think . Its stout stuff .I soak my plug during the rest of my clean up . Ive said it before and i will say it again NOTHING BEATS IT AS A THREAD SEALANT TO END STUCK PLUGS , NOTHING !!! That in and of itself sold me decades ago . Ive tried other things and if i couldnt re--purpose them in the garbage they went !!!! Let me down once and they were DONE . I WILL NOT tolerate stuck plugs . NOPE !!!!

IF i was using the RIGHT STUFF they wouldnt be stuck EVER would they ???? Ask yourself THAT one........

Most of the time only a rag to clean the threads on the plug . After it dries up a bit i use a brass toothbrush . The breech i use a shotgun bore brush . If you got a 5/8 plug (.625) use a 16ga bore brush on an old non rotating t --handle shot gun rod . 11/16 plug a 12ga brush .
Its better cause anti seize is messier and doesnt seal a thing .
The thread sealant seals the threads ,not only from primary seal leaks (bp to barrel) but also weather and its not NEARLY as messy as antiseize or moly grease . Grease period really . No petroleum near powder remember ???

Remember too no stuck plugs .

Antiseize is helpless against bp to barrel leaks and ive had stuck plugs using it . Greases too . Teflon tape isnt 100% reliable in and out and reinsertion is a joke . May not reseal .

NEVER had stuck plugs with the permatex thread sealant for nearly 30 yrs now .
To be perfectly honest i kinda gigle to myself when guys have stuck plugs and keep doing it the SAME WAY SAME STUFF . AND they will defend that method ........WOW !!!!

Thanks, that is the answer I was hoping for!

I lent my best friend my bk--92 when it was a 54 . I forgot i did that and he didnt realize how corrosive our powders were . I used pyrodex select then . I didnt get the gun back for a YEAR . PUT UP WITH BEING SHOT AND LEFT DIRTY IN HIS DAMP BASEMENT !!!!!!! The barrel was solid HEAVY rust ---JUNK ....... ..but that breech plug spun right out effortlessly . Can what you use now compete with that ?????????

I did the same thing. I lent my Rem 700 ML to my cousin and I even told him to make sure he cleaned it after using it and I even showed him how it was to be cleaned . I kept asking him to bring it back sense the season had been over for 3 months he didn't and I had to go pick it up. I asked him if he had cleaned it and he said ( I Think So ) well when I get home I went to clean it and it still had a load in it and the barrel was so rusty that it was impossible to save it. SO NOW NO ONE Barrow's my guns any more.

I know guys , i wont ever again loan one out .
BUT , how about that permatex thread sealant !!!!!!! That bp spun right out !!!! No.Rust --- No Stuck !!!!!

I 67 and hunted bp with my knight and vintage 58 cal enfield and never had a plug that it couldn't remove with a hand tool easily. I clean them in the kitchen with what is available.
liquid soap ,hot water for oil on the breach plug I have even used butter but usually a cooking spray. this last season I used original pam on the plug in my cva. I fail to see any problem with a stuck plug ,what are you doing?
the pam I spray down the barrel and wipe the drips off .them brush the outside with the same napkin. I been doing this for 30 years. rifle gets warmed up by the fireplace after cleaning if no fire I make sure I get it hot using hotter water to clean and it air dries inside.
I made an error with the breach plug this year. I was standing in a foot of snow and ready to hunt and had trouble putting the cap on. the breach plug was only in a few turns and the knight was charged. so I took my tool and tightened it atleast a quarter inch . then went hunting.
I figured it just moved the bullet up when tightening or packed it good. it fired fine 3 days later when I unloaded it. I must have forgot to tighten the plug after cleaning and didn't notice when loading.

Last edited:
I 67 and hunted bp with my knight and vintage 58 cal enfield and never had a plug that it couldn't remove with a hand tool easily. I clean them in the kitchen with what is available.
liquid soap ,hot water for oil on the breach plug I have even used butter but usually a cooking spray. this last season I used original pam on the plug in my cva. I fail to see any problem with a stuck plug ,what are you doing?
the pam I spray down the barrel and wipe the drips off .them brush the outside with the same napkin. I been doing this for 30 years. rifle gets warmed up by the fireplace after cleaning if no fire I make sure I get it hot using hotter water to clean and it air dries inside.
I made an error with the breach plug this year. I was standing in a foot of snow and ready to hunt and had trouble putting the cap on. the breach plug was only in a few turns and the knight was charged. so I took my tool and tightened it atleast a quarter inch . then went hunting.
I figured it just moved the bullet up when tightening or packed it good. it fired fine 3 days later when I unloaded it. I must have forgot to tighten the plug after cleaning and didn't notice when loading.
Brilliant! Never occured to me

LOL! My son borrowed a ML from a friend many years ago. He has offered many times to get the ML back to the friend. Friend said hang on to it I have another one. It is a CVA Optima V1. My son has his own for many years so really don't need his friend's.

Follow up to using Permatex 80632. Shot our new Optima V2's today, unfortunately conditions didn't cooperate and we never did come up with a "good" load for them (at least I hope it was conditions).

On the plus side, after shooting 42 shots out of mine the breech plug turned right out with my fingers. Clean up was a breeze using Acetone to remove the excess after removal and a little brushing with a brass bristle brush looks good as new.

Used W209 primers, no problems or blow by. Wish I could say the same about the 3 Fed 209A I tried, first one no problem but the next 2 had massive blow back. Made a real mess to clean up. I guess the Feds need an o ring.

Anyway, the Permatex worked just like Sideshow said it would. I'm sold!

edited due to wrong number of shots fired, now corrected

Last edited:
We started with T7 3fg. Shot 80, 90 and 100 gr by volume. Got disgusted with results and switched over to Pyrodex Rs 100 gr, my standard in our other MZlers. Did better but not what we wanted, ran out of daylight, so.....try again tomorrow.

Check my last post as I made a mistake on number of shots.

Follow up to using Permatex 80632. Shot our new Optima V2's today, unfortunately conditions didn't cooperate and we never did come up with a "good" load for them (at least I hope it was conditions).

On the plus side, after shooting 42 shots out of mine the breech plug turned right out with my fingers. Clean up was a breeze using Acetone to remove the excess after removal and a little brushing with a brass bristle brush looks good as new.

Used W209 primers, no problems or blow by. Wish I could say the same about the 3 Fed 209A I tried, first one no problem but the next 2 had massive blow back. Made a real mess to clean up. I guess the Feds need an o ring.

Anyway, the Permatex worked just like Sideshow said it would. I'm sold!

edited due to wrong number of shots fired, now corrected
Thank you , But honestly thank yourself for being open to something new and unheard of before .!!! Im so very pleased i was able to have helped you !!! --- Sideshow

Some layout fluid or a sharpie marker will make it obvious to you. Thanks Sideshow for the tip. Gonna do mine now. I threw some layout fluid on mine and as everyone can see, it only hits about halfway around.
As stated, the grinding compound is a bear to get out of there. I used it on a My S91 .451 White that had a firing pin dragging causing no fires. Took a lot of hot water, brushing, and air, to get that crap outa there, but when you pull the trigger now, it goes bang.

Attachments

• 16940E54-02AF-4AA8-960C-9787925D345C.jpeg
    16940E54-02AF-4AA8-960C-9787925D345C.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 4B420D09-86D7-4073-81F5-0E3D6EF99E4C.jpeg
    4B420D09-86D7-4073-81F5-0E3D6EF99E4C.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 34
Tbere is a guy over in the smokeless forum thats been useing Loctite # 8060 silver stick anti--sieze on his front sealing leaking bp using blackhorn only . He now has blobs of aluminum deposited , almost brazed , in his bore . Loctite TELLS YOU that it is NOT supposed to be exposed to a oxidizer . All powders have them and the naptha based oil in the anti sieze will be like gas on a fire to help melt the aluminum and graphite . They also say it is NOT to be in a bearing situation . That IS the situation as a bullet travels down the bore . Tell you what , look up that crap and see for yourself from them who make it !!!! Now tell how good it is ......
I feel bad for him . His 45 Pacnor ba$$el is now hurt pretty bad ......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back