ENDS THE STUCK BREECH PLUG BLUES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an opportunity this morning after Bullet testing to show how well Sideshow’s Recommended Anti-Seize Actually Works, This stuff is REALLY REALLY Good!! I could NEVER have Gotten this Nipple out this Easy with ANYTHING else i have Used, This Stuff ABSOLUTELY WORKS :lewis: I have no doubt a Breech Plug would Come right out with this Stuff after a HEAVY Shooting of Triple Seven, or Real Blackpowder. In fact, i would Try JUST this stuff alone before “Lapping” I’m NOT Saying that “Lapping” wouldn’t Work/Help as Sideshow has Described in this Thread, I just don’t think it would be needed with This Particular Anti-Seize? I would bet on it

I had an opportunity this morning after Bullet testing to show how well Sideshow’s Recommended Anti-Seize Actually Works, This stuff is REALLY REALLY Good!! I could NEVER have Gotten this Nipple out this Easy with ANYTHING else i have Used, This Stuff ABSOLUTELY WORKS :lewis: I have no doubt a Breech Plug would Come right out with this Stuff after a HEAVY Shooting of Triple Seven, or Real Blackpowder. In fact, i would Try JUST this stuff alone before “Lapping” I’m NOT Saying that “Lapping” wouldn’t Work/Help as Sideshow has Described in this Thread, I just don’t think it would be needed with This Particular Anti-Seize? I would bet on it

Thanks Idaholewis , i shared this Permatex Thread Sealant with ptfe #80632 so ALL could be blessed with this product . Thanks for sharing it with the entire world .
Your right it does work all by itself on a plug . BUT , lapping in a plug IS the last/lasting word for breech plug sealing . PERIOD . With all powder types !!!
Thanks again for spreading the word .
----- Sideshow.......

So tell me , you that have done as ive suggested......is this worth being easily accessable as a sticky ??? I do . Buried somewhere in time is Not the place for this . This is Major .

Last edited:
Think I figured it out. Go to create a thread and scroll down , then there is info there.

How does this clean out of the threads before reapplying?
You must be refering to tje use of a shotgun bore brush turned coumterclockwise . If you get a brush to reach the bottom of the threads the rotation cleans the threads . Simple .you were talking about the bp bore right ?

Just a question. If one turned it counterclockwise wouldn't it unloosen and get stuck in the bore?

Just a question. If one turned it counterclockwise wouldn't it unloosen and get stuck in the bore?
I was talking about a brush from a rear entry , in from buttstock side . Were you ??

No it wont go in the barrel . It will actually try to push back against your hand as you rotate the rod . Threads get nice and clean like this , debris is spun out too . Ok ???

Last edited:
No it wont go in the barrel . It will actually try to push back against your hand as you rotate the rod . Threads get nice and clean like this , debris is spun out too . Ok ???

I haven't been following religiously, but with most common rods and brushes, the brush may come unscrewed from the rod if turning it counter clockwise. If it came loose in the action it may have to be pushed out from the bore.

Also for those with some bolt rifles, you have to be careful about debris falling into the trigger assembly, especially a Jewell.

For those wanting to use a brush to clean breech plug threads, there's a kit sold by Harbor Freight that will work and not allow the brush to unscrew. Its found in the auto section. I would NOT advise using the stainless steel brushes. If necessary, which it might be for some bolt action rifles, they also sell an extension. These snap lock. Comes with nylon, brass and stainless brushes of different sizes.

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

Back