ENDS THE STUCK BREECH PLUG BLUES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some layout fluid or a sharpie marker will make it obvious to you. Thanks Sideshow for the tip. Gonna do mine now. I threw some layout fluid on mine and as everyone can see, it only hits about halfway around.
As stated, the grinding compound is a bear to get out of there. I used it on a My S91 .451 White that had a firing pin dragging causing no fires. Took a lot of hot water, brushing, and air, to get that crap outa there, but when you pull the trigger now, it goes bang.
Cool , good job !!!!! For your sake im so glad you put in the effort !!!! Thank you for listening . Dont forget the Permatex Thread Sealant w ptfe(teflon) !!!! Youll be glad you did !!!!

I have about a dozen inlines and I just did the procedure outlined on two of them. Want to test it out first. Here are my thoughts, the process may be better than sliced bread. I will know more after I shoot some and later have to pull the breechplug.
I have used nickel anti-seize for years and it has never failed me. A bit messy however.
My first impression of the Permatex is that it is quite a bit more messy than the nickel anti-seize IMHO. I do not have an issue with flame cutting or plugs getting stuck so the difference may not be a big factor for me. More for others perhaps. Now I do not shoot the numbers I used to so perhaps I have been lucky.
Way to early to tell how it goes. Will know more in the late Spring or Fall.

I have about a dozen inlines and I just did the procedure outlined on two of them. Want to test it out first. Here are my thoughts, the process may be better than sliced bread. I will know more after I shoot some and later have to pull the breechplug.
I have used nickel anti-seize for years and it has never failed me. A bit messy however.
My first impression of the Permatex is that it is quite a bit more messy than the nickel anti-seize IMHO. I do not have an issue with flame cutting or plugs getting stuck so the difference may not be a big factor for me. More for others perhaps. Now I do not shoot the numbers I used to so perhaps I have been lucky.
Way to early to tell how it goes. Will know more in the late Spring or Fall.
It can be messy but my way of doing it , my own technique improved alot over time . It wont stay that soft . It will dry somewhat . But the seal cant be beat !!! If you ever hunt in the rain its pretty nice too !!!
Better than sliced bread , i LIKE THAT !!! You will too !!! :lewis:

I've been using T7/fff 80gns by volume in all my whites for years and never had a stuck plug. Always clean threads with steel wool and use this: wbpg.jpg.JPG

I worked at a gun shot for about 5 years and seen many stuck plugs. I found the best thing to get them out was using Kroil. Just my take on it.

I worked at a gun shot for about 5 years and seen many stuck plugs. I found the best thing to get them out was using Kroil. Just my take on it.
Yea but WHY put yourself in that position ??? The whole point of tbis thread is to END that possibility FOR GOOD !!!!! Never Again !!! MAYBE the kroil will help get out a stuck plug . Do what ive shared and it WILL be the LAST TIME you ever use it on a plug EVER AGAIN . Its PROVED itself with all black and subs for nearly 30 years . You wont beat that.......

Two different uses. Kroil for stuck plugs and permatex to prevent.
I think you and bdog said the same thing just in different perspectives . Im just glad the word is getting out there to our members !!! Thank you !!!

just sayin, you wont need kroil if you're using the permatex, sorry for the sarcasim.....

I just dug this thread up to Give Credit where it is Due, Mr Sideshow Definitely knew what he was Talking about with this Permatex #80632 Thread Sealant with PTFE, This Stuff Definitely WORKS to keep a Nipple from Seizing up in my Sidelock Muzzleloaders, This appears to be some Really Good Stuff, No More Breech Plug Grease for Me! After 10 Shots the Nipple Broke Free EASILY, and the AMAZING part is i was able to Remove the Nipple with my Thumb and index Finger NO PROBLEM, I have NEVER EVER been able to do that with Breech Plug Grease, I have to Stay on the Nipple with my Wrench all the way out to last few Threads. I look forward to testing this Stuff More in the Near Future, I will have to Run up and Grab my Buddies Knight Bighorn in-line so i can test it on a Breech Plug that is NOTORIOUS for Seizing after a Shooting session with Real Blackpowder

A can of this Stuff could Very Likely be a Lifetime Supply, especially with little No. 11 Nipple Threads :)
VJH7bQol.jpg

To those that might not know? On a Breech plug, I would make SURE to get a Coating of this Stuff NOT only on the Threads themselves, But the Sealing Nose edge, and forward Unthreaded portion of the Plug (Red arrows) There is a Brush Applicator in the Bottle That Would make this EASY to do
d94dsoCl.jpg

Glad to hear the good report Lew, I applied the Permatex #80632 Thread Sealant with PTFE stuff on my new Bestil White Breech Plug on my 451 White M98 a couple of weeks ago but have yet been able to get out and shoot. I applied it the same way you described in your picture as well. Naturally, I applied some to the #11 Nipple threads also. :) I can't wait to find time to get to the range weather permitting to see how it performs.

Last edited:
I just dug this thread up to Give Credit where it is Due, Mr Sideshow Definitely knew what he was Talking about with this Permatex #80632 Thread Sealant with PTFE, This Stuff Definitely WORKS to keep a Nipple from Seizing up in my Sidelock Muzzleloaders, This appears to be some Really Good Stuff, No More Breech Plug Grease for Me! After 10 Shots the Nipple Broke Free EASILY, and the AMAZING part is i was able to Remove the Nipple with my Thumb and index Finger NO PROBLEM, I have NEVER EVER been able to do that with Breech Plug Grease, I have to Stay on the Nipple with my Wrench all the way out to last few Threads. I look forward to testing this Stuff More in the Near Future, I will have to Run up and Grab my Buddies Knight Bighorn in-line so i can test it on a Breech Plug that is NOTORIOUS for Seizing after a Shooting session with Real Blackpowder

A can of this Stuff could Very Likely be a Lifetime Supply, especially with little No. 11 Nipple Threads :)
VJH7bQol.jpg

To those that might not know? On a Breech plug, I would make SURE to get a Coating of this Stuff NOT only on the Threads themselves, But the Sealing Nose edge, and forward Unthreaded portion of the Plug (Red arrows) There is a Brush Applicator in the Bottle That Would make this EASY to do
d94dsoCl.jpg
Awh shucks Idaholewis , iz just helpin a brother out . Pretty hard keepin something like this all to yourself when you KNOW you got THE ANSWER !!!!! Im just truly happy to hear that you tried it and like it !!! I KNEW that anyone who Fights Fouling would come around to Adore this stuff after the Very First Use of it .
On that bplug DONT FORGET to LAP IT IN !!! That just makes it SO Nice !!! It IS DEFINATELY A BEAR TO CLEAN UP THE VALVE GRINDING COMPOUND HOWEVER !!! But afterwards is just a little slice of heaven . :lewis:

Lapping In a bp is crucial , at least to my way of thinking . THAT SEAL bp to barrel IS LEAKING and LAPPING IT IN cures it !!! FOR GOOD !!!!!! FOREVER !!!!! ITS THE MOST IMPORTANT SEAL THERE IS FOR A MZ !!!!!!

I probably shouldnt say this but the Permatex Thread Sealant all by itself WORKS to keep fouling out . BUT ITS NOT THE RIGHT WAY NOR THE LAST WORD IN THIS !!!!! Lapping IS !!!!!!!!! :lewis:

Youre correct on how youve said to apply the Permatex Sealant to the plug . Once Lapped you dont really have to put it on the end of the barrel , however it wont hurt a thing . If it feels good to you , do it . Might further complicate cleaning though , just a thought .

Ive leaned ALOT from you Idaholewis . I VALUE THAT !!!! Sure feels good to give Something Back..... :2cool:
I LIKE THAT !!!!

P.s.--- found a steam cleaner yesterday for any used mz's i might get that need "deep cleaned" . That was a jewel too --- thanks again !!!

Last edited:
Glad to hear the good report Lew, I applied the Permatex #80632 Thread Sealant with PTFE stuff on my new Bestil White Breech Plug on my 451 White M98 a couple of weeks ago but have yet been able to get out and shoot. I applied it the same way you described in your picture as well. Naturally, I applied some to the #11 Nipple threads also. :) I can't wait to find time to get to the range weather permitting to see how it performs.
You dont know it yet Ed but im calling it right here , right now ---Youre a Convert too !!!! Lol !!!! Youll see , they ALL DO !!!!

Back