Entry level in-line muzzleloader for deer hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these models would you buy in my shoes?

• T/C Impact

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Traditions Buckstalker

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • CVA Wolf

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Something Else?

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters
The CVA Wolf is a nice entry level inline muzzleloader... Well made and works great! If you have the extra cash... get the Optima V2. The Optima is what I have now and was a great buy for the money. I was blessed and got mine for $160 bucks that was considered factory refurbished from a local CVA dealer here in Oklahoma. I can't tell why it was ever sent back to the factory... still looked new when I got it.

I would buy that now, without the scope.

I've always preferred stainless. Even with meticulous cleaning, you can hunt tough conditions with much more piece of mind when the gun is stainless. I've never cared for break actions, as I like the feel, stock, and safety position of my muzzle loader to resemble the center fire rifle I like to use for the rest of the season. As you've put you have different preferences I'll just put out what I like for other's who may find this thread.

I'm also partial to buying good used muzzle loaders. I always felt I get more bang for my buck... And the Remington 700 MLS is tops in that category for me. I'm biased as I sell and install the sealed breech conversions for them. But I do practice what I preach and came to sell and install them because I already liked the 700MLS first. I got my first 700 MLS in 2002 and have loved it since I sealed up the blowback and started shooting blackhorn209. If one can find a 700 MLS with a decent to good barrel for $300 or less, I always encourage them to buy it. They have a reputation of shooting accurately, and our 209 conversion (aka the Hunter bolt nose and breech plug) will work with any muzzle loader safe propellant you want (Blackhorn209, black powder, pyrodex, 777, etc).

To me that is what I want to take to the woods... a reliable, rugged, accurate rifle, that has similar ergonomics as the rifle I shoot the rest of the deer season.

Yours

Tom

I’ll cast another vote for the T C Omega. They shoot Blackhorn 209 well, easy to maintain, like XTP bullets, can scope or use the iron sights.

another thing about the cva break actions is if you are getting carbon blowback leakage around the primer and are already using the longer winchester primer you can get those very thin shims to go behind the firing pin bushing and it will seal right up then. I dont think traditions has the bushing to let you do that. I know TC has been a good gun for many years but they are owned by smith and wesson now and they aren't standing behind the TC's or the smiths like they should. back in the day TC would bend over backwards for you.
You are on point regarding the CVA blowback leakage, I have an Accura V2 .45 that had a pretty good blowback that made one heck of a mess. I didn't need to change primer brands to fix it. Just cleaning it well & adjusting the firing pin bushing slightly completely fixed it. now, zero leakage or mess. It was easy enough to fix, once the cleaning was done to where I felt kinda ridiculous for shooting so many rounds out of it & havin to clean the blowback mess from the gun & scope all those times before I found how simple it was to fix & completely stop. I couldn't agree more that back in the day, TC's cust serv was the best, absolutely fantastic to deal with for anything.

guys I really wanted to go with blackhorn with my wolf and at 100 yds it was grouping but further than that I was getting an occasional flier with every bullet I tried, and it was a confidence decision I made. the other thing that bothered me was the recoil with blackhorn, in the wolf it was punishing to me. some guns just seem to kick more than others with identicle loads. I do realize blackhorn is a superior powder and I may have eventually found a load . I'm on to a cva scout 45-70 conversion to smokeless and keep my wolf for backup or a guest hunter like my dad.

If u want to try an accurate load in your wolf that doesn’t kick . Try the Barnes 225 grain xpb 44 cal saboted pistol bullet I’m shooting 71.1 grains (weighed) of 777. But you can use about the same weight charge blackhorn and it should be real similar. It has a very light kick.

If u want to try an accurate load in your wolf that doesn’t kick . Try the Barnes 225 grain xpb 44 cal saboted pistol bullet I’m shooting 71.1 grains (weighed) of 777. But you can use about the same weight charge blackhorn and it should be real similar. It has a very light kick.
great suggestions.

Hey guys. I'm in the market for an entry-level muzzleloader for deer hunting.

It's been several years since I hunted deer. I've been mostly hunting rabbit and squirrel, but recently I've been itching to get back into big game. I no longer have a deer rifle, and I've decided to get a muzzleloader, both for the challenge and for the extra time to hunt.

However, the last time I used a muzzleloader was at least 15 years ago. Things have changed. The market is dominated by inlines, which I have only recently become familiar with, thanks to Google and Youtube lol. Previously, the only muzzleloaders I've fired have been sidelock percussion and flintlocks. I'm very intrigued by the modern break barrel inlines, and plan on getting an entry-level one to see if I like the platform without breaking the bank. I've narrowed it down to three models, but am leaning more toward two of them. The three guns I'm considering are:

Traditions Buckstalker
Thompson Center (T/C) Impact
CVA Wolf

And I am leaning more toward the Buckstalker or the T/C Impact. As these are all fairly inexpensive models, their trivial price differences aren't much of a concern to me. I'd like some feedback from anyone who's owned or fired one of these guns, what you liked and disliked about them, recommendations, concerns, etc. Would love it if someone has fired more than one and can offer firsthand comparisons. I'm also open to other suggestions if anyone has any... break-barrel models under $350, preferably.

I don't intend to make any shots beyond 150 yards with it, which (as I understand) is well within the effective range of a .50 smokepole.

I appreciate any input you may have!
I shoot a T/C Strike using BH 209 powder and a CCI 209 primer to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold bullet with their black crushed rib sabot using a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope. It is a solid 200-yard shooter and if I had a conveniently located range longer than 200 yards, I’d have a longer opinion.

What ever you get make sure that it's legal to use in your state. Make sure it can take a 209 shotgun primer and is OK to use with BlackHorn 209 powder.

Back