Entry level in-line muzzleloader for deer hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these models would you buy in my shoes?

• T/C Impact

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Traditions Buckstalker

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • CVA Wolf

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Something Else?

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm in the market for an entry-level muzzleloader for deer hunting.

It's been several years since I hunted deer. I've been mostly hunting rabbit and squirrel, but recently I've been itching to get back into big game. I no longer have a deer rifle, and I've decided to get a muzzleloader, both for the challenge and for the extra time to hunt.

However, the last time I used a muzzleloader was at least 15 years ago. Things have changed. The market is dominated by inlines, which I have only recently become familiar with, thanks to Google and Youtube lol. Previously, the only muzzleloaders I've fired have been sidelock percussion and flintlocks. I'm very intrigued by the modern break barrel inlines, and plan on getting an entry-level one to see if I like the platform without breaking the bank. I've narrowed it down to three models, but am leaning more toward two of them. The three guns I'm considering are:

Traditions Buckstalker
Thompson Center (T/C) Impact
CVA Wolf

And I am leaning more toward the Buckstalker or the T/C Impact. As these are all fairly inexpensive models, their trivial price differences aren't much of a concern to me. I'd like some feedback from anyone who's owned or fired one of these guns, what you liked and disliked about them, recommendations, concerns, etc. Would love it if someone has fired more than one and can offer firsthand comparisons. I'm also open to other suggestions if anyone has any... break-barrel models under $350, preferably.

I don't intend to make any shots beyond 150 yards with it, which (as I understand) is well within the effective range of a .50 smokepole.

I appreciate any input you may have!

I have a number of Traditions rifles, 2 Buckstalkers and 3 Pursuit XLT’s and they’ve been great. That’s probably the last good word you’ll hear about Traditions on this website.

I'd suggest one you haven't mentioned if you don't mind. CVA Optima V2.
One can find a nice used Knight Disc 50 cal in that price range too.
I'd don't have anything favorable to say about Traditions.

While I DO certainly appreciate the "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all," approach... I would be interest to know what you dislike in particular about them. I was kinda leaning more toward the buckstalker, so I would like to hear what others found as shortcomings. I value your guys' opinion because you're largely much more versed in these types of muzzleloaders than I.

Edit: I did look at the Optima. Bit of a price jump and it didn't seem all that worth the difference. I will look more into it though. I appreciate the recommendation

As I have never owned a Traditions MZ I have nothing good or bad to say about them. I currently have thirteen Muzzies including an Omega and a Knight Ultalite. If I could only keep one gun it would certainly be my LHR Redemption.

I have a wolf I paid 167 for it at Buds gun shop. It will shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards. I had to buy a few bullets to find a couple that shot well but that’s gonna be the case with most guns. It’s a well balanced compact gun that’s a pleasure to handle and shoot and I can definitely recommend the wolf.

I had a LHR Redemption as well. Shot great. My only issue was it was not iron sight friendly. Rear comb was too high.
In regards and fairness to traditions, my experiences were soft steel, poor springs and metal to metal fit was not good. Like 1970’s cars.But my experiences were years ago and I haven’t owned one since. If they have made great strides like CVA has in quality, I personally haven’t seen it.

This isn’t a paid commercial,
and I approve this message. Lol

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I owned and hunted with a Buckstalker for several years. It shot well for me. The only thing I didn't like about it is the 2 piece ramrod. You have to unscrew the top end, flip it around and re screw the 2 pieces together again. It's not horrible but kind of a pain, especially if you are trying to reload quickly.

Welcome to the forum. I owned and hunted with a Buckstalker for several years. It shot well for me. The only thing I didn't like about it is the 2 piece ramrod. You have to unscrew the top end, flip it around and re screw the 2 pieces together again. It's not horrible but kind of a pain, especially if you are trying to reload quickly.

I hadn't noticed that about the Buckstalker. Seems a bit odd that it would be designed that way. I wonder why they do it that way?

I’ve never owned the Wolf, but I’ve had four CVA products including two Optimas and they’ve all shot very well.

If the buckstalker doesn’t have a steel bushing around the firing pin, I wouldn’t buy one. My traditions xlt didn’t have the bushing and the soft alloy metal around the firing pin dented in from the 209 primer. Anyone with a newer buckstalker, does it have a steel bushing around the firing pin like the Impact and Wolf?

My son‘s Impact is an accurate rifle, I’m not a fan of the sliding hood design but it works well enough. The Impact is ready to go with BlackHorn 209 powder, the Wolf will need a new loose powder breech plug if you want to shoot BH209 powder.

You don't need an expensive ML to kill a deer. Any you've mentioned should get the job done if you spend the time to work up an accurate load. That said, my cousin hunts with a TC Impact and I'm impressed.

I have a wolf I paid 167 for it at Buds gun shop. It will shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards. I had to buy a few bullets to find a couple that shot well but that’s gonna be the case with most guns. It’s a well balanced compact gun that’s a pleasure to handle and shoot and I can definitely recommend the wolf.
What bamawoodsman said. I have a wolf also. I have had a little more difficulty getting down to 2" groups at 100 yards but it can be done. Probably because of my unwillingness to use a powder other that T7.

The young fellow I mentor had a Buckstalker with scope given to him. It was in pretty bad shape but we worked with it. Not the most beautiful bore but it shoots well. I dont think you could get him to part with it at this point. He dropped 2 deer in their tracks with it this last season.

Either would serve you well as a starter or will serve you for life. If you continue to follow along here your needs (real or imaginary) will increase. Take a look at all the guns some of these guys own. 🙂

If the buckstalker doesn’t have a steel bushing around the firing pin, I wouldn’t buy one. My traditions xlt didn’t have the bushing and the soft alloy metal around the firing pin dented in from the 209 primer. Anyone with a newer buckstalker, does it have a steel bushing around the firing pin like the Impact and Wolf?

My son‘s Impact is an accurate rifle, I’m not a fan of the sliding hood design but it works well enough. The Impact is ready to go with BlackHorn 209 powder, the Wolf will need a new loose powder breech plug if you want to shoot BH209 powder.

2 models use this now including the Buckstalker. Its sort of like a bushing for the firing pin.
traditions-northwest-conversion-kit-209-2.jpg

I would ask myself 2 questions.
Why do i want a chromoly barrel when i can get stainless for virtually the same price?...The Wolf and Optima V2 are available in stainless. The others dont offer SS.
How much do i want to use Blackhorn209 powder?....The Traditions plug is the worst of the bunch and there is no aftermarket option for a BH209 plug.

The CVA also come with a scope mount so by the time you buy one for the Buckstalker you are about the same price as a CVA Optima V2
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/inline-muzzleloaders/cva-optimatm-v2-pr2020sm.html
You will spend $40 or more adding rings and a base/s
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifl...traditionstm-buckstalker-cerakote-barrel.html

Last edited:
2 models use this now including the Buckstalker. Its sort of like a bushing for the firing pin.
traditions-northwest-conversion-kit-209-2.jpg

I would ask myself 2 questions.
Why do i want a chromoly barrel when i can get stainless for virtually the same price?...The Wolf and Optima V2 are available in stainless. The others dont offer SS.
How much do i want to use Blackhorn209 powder?....The Traditions plug is the worst of the bunch and there is no aftermarket option for a BH209 plug.

The CVA also come with a scope mount so by the time you buy one for the Buckstalker you are about the same price as a CVA Optima V2
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/inline-muzzleloaders/cva-optimatm-v2-pr2020sm.html
You will spend $40 or more adding rings and a base/s
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifl...traditionstm-buckstalker-cerakote-barrel.html

This is the sort of stuff I'm looking for. Yes, the stainless steel barrel was a consideration for me, but ultimately it became a less important detail, as I am meticulous about cleaning guns anyways.

Also, this is the first I'm hearing about requiring a specific plug for different types of powder? I've never heard any mention of this until now, can you elaborate?

And btw... the buckstalker DOES come with a base and rings. I could even get it with a scope included as well, however I generally never do that because included scopes are almost always crap, and I just end up replacing them anyhow.

I only ever used real black or pyrodex in my buckstalker.
Don't know for sure if the breech plug is or isn't compatible with blackhorn 209 powder.

Another vote for the CVA Optima V2. They have some great deals direct through CVA/BPI. Just a matter of finding the deal. I got mine in Nov 2018. Stainless/Camo/Scope/Case for $250 & free delivery. Felt like I won the lottery. Lol0B22083F-BCE1-4F72-94A5-1E9D86A9F3F9.jpeg
I did buy the BH209 breech plug and am 100% happy with results from both gun and powder.

Another vote for the CVA Optima V2. They have some great deals direct through CVA/BPI. Just a matter of finding the deal. I got mine in Nov 2018. Stainless/Camo/Scope/Case for $250 & free delivery. Felt like I won the lottery. LolView attachment 9267
I did buy the BH209 breech plug and am 100% happy with results from both gun and powder.

Damn! I can't find that combo for under $390 lol

Latest posts

Back