Eye problem not sight problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered a vernier tang sight and a globe front sight for my TC hawken .45 cal 1:20 twist barrel. I got it in yesterday and when I looked thru the aperture I could see what looked like a burr or fuzzy in the .050" hole. I ran a pin thru it with no effect. I tried changing the angle and still saw it. Just out of curiosity I looked thru it with my other eye and it was gone!
Looking at different size holes I poked thru a piece of paper revealed that I need to enlarge the hole to .062 or .070 for the fuzzy to be at a point where it won't affect my aim. Getting old sucks!

Snapbang you are correct. We should appreciate getting old. All too many didn't have the privledge. I carefully bored out the aperture hole to 5/64" (.078") and the fuzz is all but eliminated. I'm sure if I were able to bore it out to .093" it would be completely gone but I don't have enough meat on the stem that screws into the sight frame.

I tried to shoot my friend's pistol with a red dot sight. I couldn't see the dot. I have a blind spot in my left eye. I can still use a scope, and I can shoot right handed if necessary. I stretched or tore a tendon in my left shoulder a couple of years ago and had to shoot right handed for a year or so. Getting old sure does beat the alternative. Give thanks every day you wake up, and especially every day you can still hunt. I went on an ibex hunt this year, and determined I am too old for that hunt. Really tough country.

I have a question about the red dot sights. I am red/green color blind, would one of them even work for me?? Thanks in advance.

BSA makes a red dot with red, green, and blue colored dots. The blue might work for you, but might be a little tough to see in bright sunlight conditions. That scope is not big bucks for cost, so some may question the quality of it, but it's an alternative if nothing else will work.

Not intending to hijack this thread and I apologize to Bronko in advance. Ive been watching the documentaries on TV about the battles of WWII. Mostly the tank battles. Many of those solders were here in this second and gone in the next. 18-19 years old. They didnt get the chance to come home, start a family, raise their children and grandchildren. Same for all the services but I just happen to watch the tank battles. Makes me real humble to think all these kids, I call them kids respectfully, died to free the world from tyranny. I know it happens in all wars and continues today. Im sure they would have appreciated the opportunity to grow old. My $.02.

I have a question about the red dot sights. I am red/green color blind, would one of them even work for me?? Thanks in advance.

If you have an astigmatism, that red dot will look like a red smudge. Don't think a dot sight is a magic cure. The other issue with dot sights is the amount of the target that they occlude (cover). Precise aiming isn't going to happen with any red dot sight. If you read the literature supplied with them, you'll find they cover anywhere from 3-8moa meaning at 100yd, you won't be able to see 3-8in of the target. They're fine for up close where accuracy isn't essential.

I've gone from 20/10 to 20/30 in non dominant eye to 20/25 with astigmatism in my dominant eye. I shoot iron sights in competition and the best thing I've found is 1x readers with a Merit device. It works great for my eyes and with some experimentation, you may find the same. The Merit is out of production by there is on made by Gehmann that is a dead ringer for it.

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/gehmann-stick-on-iris-for-ordinary-glasses/-Gehmann

And a clip on version that can be flipped up.
https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/gehmann-clip-on-iris-for-ordinary-glasses/-Gehmann

I have astigmatism in both eyes (corrected with eye glasses). Have had the same problem with peep sights - fuzzy or thin thread across. Checked into the diopters like Merit. Decided if they could sell a clip on, I could make one for a lot less. Used a clip on sun glasses that flip up, cut out the left lens, cut the right lens down to a width that covers the right eye. ID approx location for hole, started small, increased till I found the right size, painted the lens with flat black spray paint. Works great for iron sights on my front stuffer and only cost me $10. Second time I used the snap on frame style. Nice thing is if you get the hole in the wrong place, just cover it up with tape and start over. Used to tell people I am conservative with my money, friend told them I was just cheap....
Diopter from sunglasses.jpg

Yes, it will work. I have the same issue and use Holoson with dot within a circle. Much better than just a dot (IMHO)

Snapbang you are correct. We should appreciate getting old. All too many didn't have the privledge. I carefully bored out the aperture hole to 5/64" (.078") and the fuzz is all but eliminated. I'm sure if I were able to bore it out to .093" it would be completely gone but I don't have enough meat on the stem that screws into the sight frame.
I discovered that peeps were way the best for me at my age, but none Had a big enough hole, so I made my own. I have three muzzleloaders with peeps sites. Depending upon the distance from the eye this has a lot to do with the size hole. The closest one which is right about the end of the barrel is a 3/16 or, .1875. The next peep Is about halfway between the rear sight and the breach where you would normally put a peep, Is a 7/32 or decimal, .21875. The last one sets right where the rear sight did set and it is a 21/64 or Decimal .328125. This may seem terrible large to some of you, but with an adequate outside diameter it seems to be very effective and I can hold my own at the turkey shoots I attend. I term them all hunting peeps and they have proven very effective at the ranges that I hunt. When you take a normal peep sight and then unscrew the peep out of the holder, like many say you should for hunting, all I see is a very faint fuzzy ring with the hole too small on the inside and the diameter too small on the outside. For the average sight, I discovered a 3/16 flat washer was just about the perfect size inside and outside, it's just you have to get it cleaned up good enough so it will take bluing.
Squint

Last edited:
Human eye can only focus on one thing at a time. Young eyes can switch from target to front sight to rear sight quickly - some to the point they seem all in focus at the same time. Geezers- can't do it as fast.

As long as you have the same "hold" - cheek weld, eye-to-sight distance and angle the same - resulting shots will be the same. Target blurry, rear sight blurry, focus is on front sight. Edges of peep sight hole are of no consequence as long as everything's centered and you can see the target and front sight through the hole clearly.

Look through the rear peep sight, not at it.

Human eye can only focus on one thing at a time. Young eyes can switch from target to front sight to rear sight quickly - some to the point they seem all in focus at the same time. Geezers- can't do it as fast.
Look through the rear peep sight, not at it.
The nice thing about a peep sight is your eye will naturally center the front sight. You focus on the front sight - the target and peep are blurred.

Latest posts

Back