Fall Moose hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSalyards

Reaction score
I drew a cow moose tag for this fall. I planned to hunt it with my Sharps 45/110 ,BUT deer season ends Oct 2nd, elk season starts Oct 1st thru the 7th, and my moose season also starts Oct 1st. My deer and elk must be hunted with a muzzle loader so it looks like the first week of moose is gonna be muzzy hunting too!

I will be carrying my CVA Accura shooting 300 gr Speer Deep Curls in a black Harvester crush rib sabot over 84 weighed gr of Blackhorn. But I hope to have a gun bearer carrying my Sharps for the Moose. If not the muzzy will take it. It's just a personal thing I want to do.

Asking out of total ignorance, but having been close to moose (s) in Canada & Alaska, how does one get the meat, hide, horns out once it's down? Those things are BIG.

Asking out of total ignorance, but having been close to moose (s) in Canada & Alaska, how does one get the meat, hide, horns out once it's down? Those things are BIG.
I went on a drop hunt in AK last fall with a buddy. We were dropped on a mountain in a tiny plane, one person at a time. That was the only landing spot. We got a large bull just over a mile from that landing area. It was either we pack the meat up there, or hire some packers. We had the packers come in and one kid was a total animal. Tall and skinny. He carried most of the meat up the mountain himself like nothing was on his back. Once it was up there, the plane came over the next two days when he was flying by and picked up everything. We donated all the meat to the guide as it would cost a fortune to transport on numerous flights back home and keep it frozen. I don't even know how you could set up logistics to get meat home on a hunt like that. It was very remote.

Or, hunt at the local ski area. Where I live, the moose tend to interfere with skiers in the winter by hanging out on the narrow runs and actually blocking them, once in awhile even chasing skiers. The ski area ecourages moose hunting there by allowing hunters to drive in to retrieve any moose harvested. I had a cow moose tag last year, and after a 200 yard skid down a 45 degree slope with help from a friend, backed my truck right up to it.
Game carriers are a big help, too. Got my one bull moose in a lifetime tag here in Colorado back in '96 with a ML about a1/2 mile from the truck. There were 30 year old logging roads in the area almost to the moose, so after skinning and quartering, loaded it on my game carrier and with the help of my hunting buddy wheeled it down to my truck. Always hunt uphill from the truck is a good rule to follow.

Just make it smaller and carry it out. Done it likely a hundred times between my own and friends/family over my lifetime.
Walk

what gun , bullet and powder charge did you use for that moose ?

Not a muzzleloader Jeff. My friend used a 1953 Winchester Model 71 shooting a 250 grain .348 caliber Buffalo Bore round. 125 yard shot. Hit in spine - straight down.
The picture was more to illustrate a common way of extraction here in Maine in reply to Sheriff John's question.
Maine IF&W used to keep a record of how many moose are taken via muzzleloader each year. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Back