Fall walleye bait

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Its been a while since I toyed with this bait's mold, and recently I was asked for some bait samples for the wily summer bass. This mold came out of hibernation for the task. Another guy asked for some sample baits that work well with cold weather/water walleyes so I cooked this one up with a chartreuse core in a clear/"party-crasher" glitter body. Ought to get the walleye job done nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_1968_1.jpg
    IMG_1968_1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 659
Dang nice looking bait! We tip em with a crawler for the early June season with the solid color. I like the "core" thing. It looks great. Mike. :yeah:

Those look DARN Good!! :yeah: What all kinds of equipment does a guy need to make Plastic jig baits? I would really enjoy doing that kind of stuff!

The molds can't bite ya pretty bad. The injection molds I use range from around $60.00 dollars to around $170.00 dollars. An injector will run around $50.00. You'll save money by buying the liquid, raw plastic in 2 1/2 to 5 gallon containers rather than by the quart or gallon. Shopping around will be smart to get the best deals on the plastic and the components used with it...colorants, glitters, etc. A microwave that you can dedicate to this use can be gotten cheap at a Salvation Army store or Goodwill center. These places will also have some pyrex measuring cups in the one cup size.

Open pour molds are a good way to get started without an injector and the molds are generally much less. I'd avoid any plastic or plaster - of - paris molds.

A couple hundred bucks can get a guy into hand pouring. The injection stuff you can figure about $400.00 for a good start with injector, plastic and the extra components without any molds.

Here's a great place to get an idea of things you'll need and the costs involved: http://www.do-itmolds.com

Here's another good place to start looking... https://www.barlowstackle.com/WORM-MOLDS-C368.ASPX

Tom, I looked this stuff up, and watched a few YouTube videos, I could see myself enjoying this! The Molds are definately Spendy, but i guess they last forever with proper care
I might Talk to our Local Sport shop Guy (My Closest Friend here) and see if he is interested? He can buy everything, and I’ll make them :D

I use the same stuff, maybe scaled bigger in saltwater. I dont make the soft plastics. ( I have way too much junk, and too many hobbies now) But I do tie bucktails and feathers on jigs. Its my main summer flounder rig. (locally here, we call summer flounder fluke) same thing scaled up for striper bass.

Squeeze said:
( I have way too much junk, and too many hobbies now)

I think this is a problem for everyone who lives and breathes the out-of-doors.

Re: RE: Re: Fall walleye bait

MrTom said:
Squeeze said:
( I have way too much junk, and too many hobbies now)

I think this is a problem for everyone who lives and breathes the out-of-doors.
Yes we do, but somehow we fit it all in. Not a bad problem to have.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

To many hobbies, and not enough time to do them! I am in that situation right now. I have a nice little 14 Ft lake boat with a 15hp Evinrude on it, I used it 1 time last year and that was it, I didn’t even License it the year before. My boat is sitting out in the Driveway as i type this waiting on a Couple from Spokane Wa to come look at it to Buy it. I want my Garage Space more than i care about the boat anymore, Hopefully it sells today and i can actually walk in my Garage again, And Cast Muzzleloader bullets without being crammed in a Corner :yeah:

When i lived on the Wa Coast Fishing was a MAJOR part of my life, We had all species of Salmon and Steelhead that Ran the Local rivers, I had something different nearly every month to Fish for, and they were BIG fish, I could literally Walk from my house to 2 Different Rivers. After moving here to Northern Idaho and fishing for these little pan Fish for a few years i simply got bored with it, I have other Hobbies now that pretty much consume all of my extra time. Maybe i will buy another boat down the Rd? I just don’t see it in my near future

Back