Fast Twist .36 Cal Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
granite7 said:
Idaholewis said:
I am WAY more into functionality than Traditional :D in Fact Traditional Looking means NOTHING to me personally, I just prefer the Function, Simplicity, and Cleaning of Sidelock Muzzleloaders

Where is a Good place to look in to Nitride finishing? Any places you have used, or know of that is spoke highly of?

I see GM54 came in with an answer already. I have heard of WMD also. That price sheet looks like it is geared toward modern sporting rifles (aka the Evil Black Rifle or AR-15). The nitriding process involves high heat, so I have heard that barrel parts should be disassembled before nitride treatment. I have heard of problems with AR-15 receiver extensions coming loose if the barrel assembly was treated after assembly. Anyway, all of that to say, it might be worth an email to WMD to see if they will treat muzzleloader barrels at that same price.

On a side note, muzzle-loaders.com has Mountaineers listed with nitrided barrels. That is what I really wanted, but after speaking with their salesman, it sounds like it was announced by Knight but not yet released. Rather than wait (who knows how long) I went with the stainless.

COOL on the Knight Mountaineer!! If i were a Serious inline guy that is EXACTLY the Rifle i would get! I am not a Serious inline Guy and I’m stil Struggling with Buying one of them :lol: I want the 1:20 Twist .45 Cal :yeah: Looking forward to your Results with it!!

Nitride on SS doesn't do much other than another level of corrosion resistance. It wont harden the surface as much as it will cm4140. Milspec AR/M16 barrels are cm4150 which is harder than cm4140.

Thats an awesome price if the work is good. I could have sworn $150+ was far more common for rifle barrels. Is this barrel a 4140 or something like 1137 that GMB uses for BP barrels?

GM54-120 said:
Is this barrel a 4140 or something like 1137 that GMB uses for BP barrels?

I cannot remember what he told me he used? I will get that info when i get the Barrel, i am hoping to hear from him soon :yeah: he said after the Holidays, That should be now :D

Latest posts

Back