Fast twist and patched ball

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gesthuntn

Reaction score
Does anyone here shoot a patched ball from a fast twist barrel? I talking 1:28 and faster. Looking for a hunting load with round ball.

I shoot a .490” roundball patched .018” pillow tick in my Lyman GPH fast twist with 60gr Goex 3fg. Good enough accuracy for all the gongs on the woods walk!
Walk

Does anyone here shoot a patched ball from a fast twist barrel? I talking 1:28 and faster. Looking for a hunting load with round ball.

Lower your powder Charge, With a Fast Twist and Patched Roundball you need to Slow em Down til you find the Sweet Spot :lewis: This is Opposite with the Slow Roundball Twist, you Can run them FAST/HARD, The Slower the Twist, USUALLY the faster you want to push for best Accuracy.

Nobody can tell you exactly where you will find best accuracy in your 1:28 twist? But i am Confident it will be with a Light powder Charge, Running SLOW. This could end up being a Problem on Game, depending on just how Slow you end up having to Go?

Seems like you need a low charge to shoot a ball in a one in twenty-eight twist. I haven't tried it in anything faster.
Looks like Lewis and I were keyboarding at the same time.

I shoot a .490” roundball patched .018” pillow tick in my Lyman GPH fast twist with 60gr Goex 3fg. Good enough accuracy for all the gongs on the woods walk!
Walk
I've done the same with my .54 GPR Hunter 1-32", same powder and charge weight. A very tightly patched round ball helps smooth out a new barrel.

So a good starting point? In 1 in 48 tcs generally 70-80 of 2f. 490 ball with pillow ticking 6/1 water/ballistol patch My 54 is 80 grains 530 ball same patch. My knight orange disc does well with green harvester and 429 XTP hornady and 60 of 2F 777. I would guess start at 50 grains and go up in 5 grain increments or 2.5 if you can. I also believe there is a big difference in using real black powder vs subs and 209 primers vs #11 caps there is also variations between manufacturers of percussion caps and primers. On a side note does anyone use magnum 209 primers?

What I’m getting at is this seems like a cool idea for cheaper trips to the range thanks for bringing this up.

The sabot will stand up to pressure and speed a LOT better than a patch. Did you read the reviews? A lot of (few?) guys seem To really love those things.

People do seem to like it. I might try some if I can't find anything else to group. Got the gun brand new and haven't shot it yet. Just don't seen right shooting sabots out of a Hawken.

My dad and I used to shoot prb's and Pyrodex out of our plunger style inlines back in the 90's. He had a Traditions with a 1:28 twist and I had a CVA with a 1:32 twist. They shot well enough to kill deer out to 80 yards or so. We were shooting 80 gr of Pyrodex RS, RWS #11 caps, Hornady prelubed patches and .490 round balls. We were not interested in shooting bugholes at 100 yards, we were trying to get 2" or better groups at 80-ish yards for deer hunting in the river bottoms hardwood stands. I shot those until I got old enough I could afford my own ammo and went to conicals.

Finally got a chance to shoot my gun a few times today. Just shot freehand at 25 yards and did good with patched round ball and 70 grains of powder. Wanting to shoot a bunch of patched balls to break my ball in. Will shoot some groups after that.

Latest posts

Back