favorite float.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
My favorite floats have been discontinued and are getting to be miserable hard to find anymore so I fixed the problem in the shop. Serve me up some balsa wood, acrylic rod, sand paper and my dremel and here we go.

i62IG8W.jpg

The above photo shows my handiwork prior to sealing and painting. One of the commercial floats is shown for comparison. The unfinished ones are hand turned to what I think is a very close approximation to the original.

And below they have been painted and sealed and the latex bands put on the stems that are used if one wants to make the floats fixed.

G2GyXgV.jpg

Nice work. I have a couple that look similar. I don't use them as they are more of a keepsake to me. They belonged to my late brother in law.

Nice work. I don't have any like that, mostly plastic ones.
I don't fish, but I have a lot of fishing stuff. Seems I NEVER catch anything.

Happens all the time. I finally found a top water lure that works well (for me) for speckle trout just this past year. It is the Rapala Skitter Walk. Went to get a few more about a month ago and none to be found. Seems that Rapala discontinued it and now has the "new and improved" Skitter V. And it may very well be and I will find out in time but I was well satisfied with the old lure.
If you have something that you like, go get a lifetime supply because it will be discontinued!!
At my age, a lifetime supply of something isn't as expensive as it used to be.
Pretty work by the way on those floats!!

Very nice MrTom! I bet you catch a lot more fish with your homemade floats! And if the fish aren’t biting you will have the satisfaction of watching your handiwork bobbing around in the breeze!

I fished them this morning and all is well. I'm cooking up another 30 or so while I have the materials and time. That should last me a while.

Those new floats coupled with those home made lures should keep you knee deep in fish.😃

If you are having trouble catching fish a mepps spinner will usually do it. I fish brookies. Had a brother in law who wanted to take me bass fishing. He wanted me to use the lures he used and when I refused he was not happy. I used my mepps spinners and caught more fish than he did. He wasn't happy at all. Later that fall I knew where a deer was on his farm. So I asked if I could hunt it. He said yes and im sure he figured I wouldn't get it. I was home with the deer be noon. Not happy. Hes not my brother in law anymore.

I have zero problems catching fish. Where I am at a Mepps spinner of any size is an invitation to pike and a lost spinner.

I use to use a Mepp's quite often when I was younger and use to fish pike.

When I was young I used Mepps spinners for pike....on a steel leader. The pike in the Mississippi River backwaters are a whole different breed of toothie. The only other fish to have consumed as much of my tackle in the river is dogfish.

I'm a crappie angler and when pike of the doggies show up its time to quit for the day. Just their presence screws up the crappie fishing.

A local warm water reservoir is full of Pike. Never caught or ate one. How do you go about catching them and are they any good to eat?

Cold water pike are not bad eating if you can master getting the Y-bones out of the fillets. Pike like structure like weed beds. Run a white or chartreuse or red and black spinner bait along the weed line or over/thru the weeds. White and chartreuse are great now in this region where the ice just left the waters. When things warm up the red/black will drive big pike nuts. Try 1/4 or 3/8 ounce models while the water is still fairly chill, 3/8 or 1/2 ounce when its fairly warm water.

Pike out of cold water and of a certain size, are very tasty. We use the deep fryer on them and when the filets come out the "Y" bones stand up and you can pick them out. All of their cousins, Great Lakes Muskie, Northern Muskie, Tiger Muskie, taste like s$%t. We've baked, broiled, smoked, canned, BBQed, it don't mater they TLS.

Back