Favorite hunting bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You heavy lead shooters: What is the BHN or mix of your bullets? Are you shooting hardcast? I've read that the bufflalo hunters used 1:20, which is around 10 BHN. I've used hardcast in the past, and I love the penetration (front to back on a cow elk), but the killing was a little slow.

You heavy lead shooters: What is the BHN or mix of your bullets? Are you shooting hardcast? I've read that the bufflalo hunters used 1:20, which is around 10 BHN. I've used hardcast in the past, and I love the penetration (front to back on a cow elk), but the killing was a little slow.
Seems most are useing pure or 40 to 1 . Others may chime in that cast cuz i dont . I just pay attention to whats said .

I am a fan of the lead conical. Excellent accuracy, perfect penetration, controlled expansion and nearly 100 percent weight retention. Who could ask for a better projectile.
Plus, they seldom exit on elk. Leaving all their energy in the animal. The farthest trail I’ve had to follow was 200 yards on a big 350” bull, but that was my fault. Hit him high and back. One dropped like he was hit over the head with a VW and two walked a few steps before going down. All were 100 yards or farther and all had the bullet under the hide on the offside. Nose the size of a nickel, and the base still able to see the rifling engravings. Perfect performance in my opinion. Watch my buddies bull at well over 100 yard. 460 grain No Excuses .504 caliber.

Plus, they seldom exit on elk. Leaving all their energy in the animal. The farthest trail I’ve had to follow was 200 yards on a big 350” bull, but that was my fault. Hit him high and back. One dropped like he was hit over the head with a VW and two walked a few steps before going down. All were 100 yards or farther and all had the bullet under the hide on the offside. Nose the size of a nickel, and the base still able to see the rifling engravings. Perfect performance in my opinion. Watch my buddies bull at well over 100 yard. 460 grain No Excuses .504 caliber.

I use Big Lead when i hunt with a Muzzleloader, It’s simply Hard to beat, I shoot all sorts of Jacketed bullets for Fun, and some i would definitely Hunt with, But If I only had 1 Choice it would UNDOUBTEDLY Be BIG Lead

:roll:QUOTE="Sideshow, post: 296993, member: 21948"]Cant be !!! Ida never thought that....:D[/QUOTE]

The last batch I casted up were 35:1. I mix my own alloy using lead and 50/50 solder. 17lbs lead, 1lb 50/50 solder equals 17.5 lbs lead, 0.5 lbs tin 35:1. I haven’t shot an animal yet with this bullet but, on paper at 100 yards they printed dang good. I think I’ll still get a good mushroom at that alloy. Hopefully I’ll know this fall. Here’s a video of how they shot. The Black MZ didn’t group well but the others did. I’m planning a video to compare Swiss, Sheutzen, and Goex and Pyro for consistency in speed and accuracy. Just gotta place my order for the powder. It’s in my cart at Powder Valley. Just gotta hit the checkout button. Want to make sure the boss isn’t gonna have my head on a platter first :)

My favorite would be a round ball but that's not what you're asking. The Barnes are my favorite but i'll be using the Powerbelt Aerolite 300gr for muley's this year because I foolishly bought 5 packs of them and can't sell them.

I'll use 70gr of BH in the hope they won't over-expand with that load.

I like Bear Creek Ballistics 285gr all copper Ball Points
taF6xRY.jpg

entrance left, exit right, big doe at 221yds,
XsdoVtq.jpg

a bit too much for 'yotes at 50yds
DmNOWz1.jpg

I’ve always hunted and shot with pure lead, just a hint of tin in my lead pot to cast easier and give a shinny appearance- they will oxidize over time, especially with handling.
I warned my cousin when he went in an African Safari after the 2001 World LR ML matches in RSA. He used his original Whitworth Target Rifle and his pure lead target bullets and shot thru every animal sideways and longways - Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, etc..
I warned him he needed a metplat or HP. He did kill everything he shot. The PH never saw anything like it, he said.
If it shoots accurately, shoot it.

I go with big pure lead in my Whitelightings. 451gr with 70gr(by weight) of 777/fff under it. But I never have shots hunting as long as 100 yards. Does the job for me.

I’ve always hunted and shot with pure lead, just a hint of tin in my lead pot to cast easier and give a shinny appearance- they will oxidize over time, especially with handling.
I warned my cousin when he went in an African Safari after the 2001 World LR ML matches in RSA. He used his original Whitworth Target Rifle and his pure lead target bullets and shot thru every animal sideways and longways - Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, etc..
I warned him he needed a metplat or HP. He did kill everything he shot. The PH never saw anything like it, he said.
If it shoots accurately, shoot it.

I was going to take my .451 M98 with me to South Africa, several years ago. but being I could not get powder there or purchase the powder they sell there, I took my 280Rem shooting 150gr Barnes bullets. My Kudu, Zebra, and Impala never knew what hit them.

Latest posts

Back