Favorite hunting bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your favorite bullet it use for hunting?

What are you hunting? would be my first question.

I would suggest as an All-Around bullet, either deer or elk the Lehigh .452x265 CF. This is and excellent bullet for accuracy and especially "Terminal Performance"

265-Misc-Pics.jpg

This a computed ballistic sheet for the bullet.

Lehigh-452-265-CF-HP.jpg

If you are looking for a dynamite deer bullet - might take a look at the Lehigh 451x230 CF. Same performance as the Lehigh bullets are noted for.

Lehigh_451x230_CF-HP.jpg

These bullets have worked very well for me and others...

But... there a lot of good bullets out there.

As of today?

For 50 caliber.
#1 - 240 grain 44 caliber Speer Deep Curl
#2 - 240 grain 44 caliber Hornady XTP (.45/300 XTP is a close runner up)

For 45 caliber LRH barrel.
Either one of Ed Mehlig's big lead full bore conicals.

The 250 grain 45 caliber XTP. 12 deer from 15 feet to 150 yards. Velocity in the mid 1500 fps range. Either a BOOMflop or they wobble like a drunk for a short distance and topple over like Tyrone from Laugh In.
If its possible to go wrong with an XTP, it isn't by much. I 've use the 180 and 200 grain .40's, the 240 grain 44's and the 250 grain 45's with complete satisfaction.
The TC Cheap Shot is also a fine bullet.

Until this last season I used the XTP's in all of my .50's with outstanding success. Last fall all three deer I took were taken with the Barnes X-panders and they were a great bullet too. I'm thinking I'll stick with the Barnes now just to keep lead out of the environment plus they work well on deer.

I am a fan of the lead conical. Excellent accuracy, perfect penetration, controlled expansion and nearly 100 percent weight retention. Who could ask for a better projectile.

Love lead in my 45s and for deer the little Gould HP is about perfect for deer within 150 yards. Cheap to shoot and easy to load. Almost 100% weight retention if not shot too fast.

In a 50cal i really like the Barnes 225gr XPB but im sure the Lehigh .451 230gr CF is just as good or better. Both offer good to excellent performance with a little less recoil. At "warp speed" that little XPB begins to act like the Lehigh. Some of the petal will blow off but it will still retain about 200gr if it does. They expand very easily too.

Barnes 275xpb.
Especially driven Hard !!! If your looking for shoulders nothing beats them . Good balance of trajectory , energy , and recoil loaded hot in my 50 knight custom . This is what i use when i dont know where i will set up or ranges from near to quite far . Ive yet to recover one and the damage is brutal even at 200 yds .
Further farm field / fence row hunts , when i plan on that , is 275 BE Parkers for out to my personal max range of 300yd chest only shots . Any further and i just admire them as they walk away....... Maybe next time........

Wind plays a big , big factor . These ranges are for Excellant conditions . Nothing less !!!

Id like to try Bear Creek Balistics 285gr ball point coppers and do both jobs with one bullet . Nice looking bullet with a proven record .

Last edited:
I am pushing the 275xpb @ 2475fps out of my Apex conversion sml. I have taken 7 deer with this particular bullet. Longest shot was only about 125yds. Shot a buck in Tenn. @ about 90yds. quartering hard to and hit it in front of the onside shoulder and when I skinned it the bullet was under the hide offside rear quarter it was drt. Only bullet ever recovered and it opened perfectly.

I am pushing the 275xpb @ 2475fps out of my Apex conversion sml. I have taken 7 deer with this particular bullet. Longest shot was only about 125yds. Shot a buck in Tenn. @ about 90yds. quartering hard to and hit it in front of the onside shoulder and when I skinned it the bullet was under the hide offside rear quarter it was drt. Only bullet ever recovered and it opened perfectly.
Sounds like ive been lucky D55 . I bet im at least 250fps slower with 140grV of bh209 . Seems like most of my shots are really close ,50yds or less , or pretty far ,150 to 200yds where i like to be at with the xpb loaded .. Close ones get the shoulders and longer the lungs . Safests bets i figure . Wish i would find a "mount ornament" recovered , but i cant complain !!! The bullet works !!! The Barnes 275 xpb is a good one !!!

Last edited:
Back