Favorite Smokepole Loads?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's muzzy season here in Michigan since last Friday and I've recently been seeing quite a few classifieds for buying/selling Bullets.
Got me thinking it might be interesting if you fellow muzzleloaders could share your best recipes:

Gun description/bullet maker/caliber/type/weight/propellant/charge (please note if by weight or volume)/muzzle velocity.

It's understood that any postings are for information/entertainment only and in no way suggests the following loads are appropriate/safe for all.
As is so often repeated here and other forums, start with a minimum charge and slowly work up.

Since I switched over to Blackhorn with the Arrowhead LMRP Module system last winter, I haven't had a chance to measure mv.

My kit:
Original Ultimate Muzzleloader/Fury Custom Bullets/50 Caliber/Universal Fit/320Gr/Blackhorn 209/100 grains weighed.

Alright my current fave is
Knight DISC .45 1:20"
330 Gould bullet(346grn actual weight) lubed wool wad over 80grV bh209 Fed209 primer

But a close second is

Accura LR .45 1:22"
Barnes 195 in LBCR sabot on
90grV bh209 cci 209 primer

...for now

Since I switched over to Blackhorn with the Arrowhead LMRP Module system last winter, I haven't had a chance to measure mv.

My kit:
Original Ultimate Muzzleloader/Fury Custom Bullets/50 Caliber/Universal Fit/320Gr/Blackhorn 209/100 grains weighed.

Converted a BP Xpress to:

“DUNAMIS”

Bestill Creations LLC custom .45cal.
McMillan Game Warden, Dark McWoody finished stock with adjustable cheek (bedded)
Remington 700 S/A single shot
Modified & tuned bolt w/stop, w/Badger Ordnance tactical bolt knob
Arrowhead Rifles breech plug
50 brass and 60 hardened modules
.250" recoil lug
Rock Creek 1:19 twist, 8 grove heavy varmint barrel.... 1.250" for 5" then straight taper to .892" at 26", 28" OAL
LR Customs T-Rex CSTM muzzle brake
Trigger Tech Diamond Pro trigger
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR
Leupold 15moa Mark4 mount (bedded to action)
Leupold Mark4 rings

BT35-LW17 5-H Atlas Bipod

300gr Arrowhead XLD and/or 300gr Fury ST2P......... 100grs BH209 by WEIGHT

100grs W of BH209 w 300gr XLD.JPG

Favorite of all............ 300gr XLD

Benchmark 88grs 2894fps with spin drift.JPG

Traditions Tennessee rifle
50 caliber, 495 round ball, .015 Oxyoke cotton patch, 75 grains by volume Swiss 3f.
CVA Mountain Stalker rifle
50 caliber, Hornady PA conical 240 grain. 80 grains by volume of 2f Swiss.
CVA Optima V2 pistol,
50 caliber, Hornady 240 grain XTP hollow point bullet.
80 grains by volume 2f Triple 7.
These are pretty much my go to hunting guns.

Cva Optima V2 50 cal
110 grains Blackhorn
265 grain 44cal Ftx
Green Crushrib Sabot

Second bullet option is .430 240 XTP with same powder charge and sabot, both very deadly loads.

Knight 1-20, fury 225 ST in blue CR sabot, 110 gr Vol. BH, win 209 primer.
Got to hand it to Tony Knight. He turned the world of muzzle loading on it's ear. My first muzzleloader was a BK92, which provided me with much success and basically created an insatiable desire to hunt with one all season, every season. I still love building/shooting my centerfires but there's a place in my heart for smokepoles that'll never be replaced. My warden seems to remind me of this daily...

Converted a BP Xpress to:

“DUNAMIS”

Bestill Creations LLC custom .45cal.
McMillan Game Warden, Dark McWoody finished stock with adjustable cheek (bedded)
Remington 700 S/A single shot
Modified & tuned bolt w/stop, w/Badger Ordnance tactical bolt knob
Arrowhead Rifles breech plug
50 brass and 60 hardened modules
.250" recoil lug
Rock Creek 1:19 twist, 8 grove heavy varmint barrel.... 1.250" for 5" then straight taper to .892" at 26", 28" OAL
LR Customs T-Rex CSTM muzzle brake
Trigger Tech Diamond Pro trigger
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR
Leupold 15moa Mark4 mount (bedded to action)
Leupold Mark4 rings

BT35-LW17 5-H Atlas Bipod

300gr Arrowhead XLD and/or 300gr Fury ST2P......... 100grs BH209 by WEIGHT

View attachment 17824

Favorite of all............ 300gr XLD

View attachment 17825
Very impressive ballistics! You sure you're not mixing this with your 416 Barret data???

Knight mountaineer, 45 1:20, 270 emax , 84 grains of bh209 by weight, 0.060 veggie wad.
Nice! I too really like that Parker 270gr E Max bullet for target shooting. I'd like to see how it does on game bodies though. I heard they were devastating. I don't want " devastating " thats why I quit using the ELR's in the first place. I got some sized to .4525 but in my Paramount it needs to be pretty cold for my barrel to shrink up abit to where they'll have any bore tension loading. But they shot real well & their BC really shined over the chrony too. I'm keepin the hunting bullet I'm using, but I'm goin to get some more E Max's & knurl them up to .4535 & go from there, & spend some time on my 300 & 400yd targets with them.

Nice! I too really like that Parker 270gr E Max bullet for target shooting. I'd like to see how it does on game bodies though. I heard they were devastating. I don't want " devastating " thats why I quit using the ELR's in the first place. I got some sized to .4525 but in my Paramount it needs to be pretty cold for my barrel to shrink up abit to where they'll have any bore tension loading. But they shot real well & their BC really shined over the chrony too. I'm keepin the hunting bullet I'm using, but I'm goin to get some more E Max's & knurl them up to .4535 & go from there, & spend some time on my 300 & 400yd targets with them.

I have never chronographed that load but I think its between 2000-2100 fps. My dad shot a doe at 140 yards and the 270 emax passed through on a double lung shot. He said the blood trail was amazing and the doe went about 60 yards.

Latest posts

Back