Favorite venison recipes???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
I need to mix things up from the same ways I’ve been cooking our venison. Still love our standard recipes but with being blessed with 2 kids that are real good and keeping our venison freezer well stocked we want to try new recipes.

One I found the other day that we are gonna try next weekend is a venison pot pie that looks amazing.

What’s all your favorite ways to cook up the best meat on earth?

Brown it then chuck it in an Instant Pot for 30min with beef broth and whatever seasoning you like. My favorites are chilli and curries for venison since its flavor pairs well with those spices. The Instant Pot will make nearly any cubed meat tender within 20-30min plus the pressure release time. Release the pressure naturally and then set it to slow cook on low until you are ready to feast.

Simple one is Lipton beefy onion soup mix instead of beef broth if you dont mind the sodium. I use unsalted beef stock for all that kinda stuff. Then add salt to taste.

I take some loin cuts about 2" thick.... chops if you will. I pound them flat with a meat mallet doing both sides until about 1/2' thick and maybe 6" around. Set aside.

In a pan large enough to hold the pieces of meat flat I melt about 2 tblsp of butter. When fully melted I add three tblsp of Pea and Perrins Worchestersire sauce, stir until blended then add the meat. Cook on a fairly hot setting, flipping the pieces every couple minutes until you cannot see any more vidsible blood in or on the meat. Either serve the pieces on a buttered bun or as is on a plate with some sides. Tender as all get out and tasty, but not spicy.

Heart attack on a plate.

Fry up bacon and strain the grease from the bacon. (save the bacon)
Add butter to the bacon grease and fry cubed venison in the mix
Seperately fry up onions, green pepper, mushrooms.
Now add the bacon back in with the venison, add sour cream, add the onions, peppers, and mushrooms.

Ladle over some egg noodles.

Make a big pot because it freezes nicely and is better after a few days.

I need to mix things up from the same ways I’ve been cooking our venison. Still love our standard recipes but with being blessed with 2 kids that are real good and keeping our venison freezer well stocked we want to try new recipes.

One I found the other day that we are gonna try next weekend is a venison pot pie that looks amazing.

What’s all your favorite ways to cook up the best meat on earth?
This might be a little out-of-the-way, but I have a recipe for making salami out of deer and pork and it is the best one I ever found. It was put out by the Montana Fish wildlife and Parks by one of their employees, probably 50 years ago. There is no shortcut that I could find but it is the best I've ever homemade and I've made a lot of it I've tried a lot of other recipes and none of them is as good. I had to copy and paste it to get it on here.
Squint

1668962118281.png

Was given some pure ground, nothing added. Swapped it straight up for ground beef in the wife's awesome meatloaf, it came out soooo good. Have a bit more, may get her to make her empanadas (home made sofrito, olives, more garlic go in) with them since they tend to come out a bit greasy on the insides... have a 0 fat meat should fix that right up :)

Was also given some tenderloin (introduced a buddy to front stuffers and he got an extra season out of it, and both he, one of his sons, and another friend of his scored during ML season) and I'm gonna do that with the same method as I do our lamb, beef roasts and pork loins, which come out fork tender. Based on temp and not time ... Season meat as you want to, have 350 oven waiting. Sear meat on all sides in a heavy oven safe pan, chuck it in oven. When temp hits 120 (15-18 minutes per pound for pork tenderloins), crank oven to 500 and remove when meat is "done", tent and let sit for a few minutes. When is "done"? It is all by temp... rare to medium rare beef at 135, medium lamb 135 to 140, and pork at 150. WARNING - TEMPS CLIMB FAST! When it is tented and sitting, temp will rise a few more degrees - show your non-believers the thermometer, because the pork tenderloins will be fork tender and actually look medium-well cooked and not "well done". But they can hit 165+ if you leave tented for 10 min and have a good heavy pan. Think I'll pull it at 135 and treat it like lamb as far as temp goes.

Only ever had two venison dishes that I wanted more (lots more!) of - my wife's venison stew (made in the crock pot, so it cooked very slowly), and venison hamburgers one of the guys made and brought to the lease. He used 5 lbs of ground venison, 5 lbs of ground beef, and two lbs of ground bacon, all mixed together. Also, the way it was cooked contributed to the mouth-watering taste - lit the little tabletop Weber grill, waited until the coals were ready, then take a machete, walk over to the nearest mesquite tree (we're talking Central Texas here), and cut three or four green limbs, inch to and inch-and-a-half in diameter, and about 8 inches long. Drop those on top of the hot coals, put the hamburger patties on the grill, and put the top on. It took a bit longer than normal to cook the meat, but, oh-my-gawd, was it good ........

Miker'

I made chili & cornbread last night. I’m not a chili fan at all, but this turned out so good, I’ve eaten more chili in the last 12hrs than I’ve eaten in the last 12yrs. It’s chocked fulla farts too, this morn my bedroom smelled like I slept in a construction site porta John.
And I just had another huge bowl for lunch.
Here’s the recipe as best as I can give;
2.25lbs deer/bacon burger browned & drained.
5 cans of diced or stewed tomatoes, with juice.
2 cans of dark kidney beans, drained.
2 cans Campbells pork & beans.
1/4 cup sugar
1 heaping tblsp crushed or chopped garlic.
1 lg sweet onion or 2 med sized ones.
1 of each - red, yellow, green peppers.
1/2 tsp each - cumin, Tyme, oregano.
1 heaping tblsp smoked paprika.
1/2 tsp each S&P
I used 1pk of chili seasoning to start off, it wasn’t enough seasoning. That’s why the other spices got added.
2 tblsp of your fav hot sauce. My fav is Boars Head.
Let cook down & get most of the water out of it.

Attachments

• 4A146039-6316-42E5-BEFB-E6567A44B9E2.jpeg
    4A146039-6316-42E5-BEFB-E6567A44B9E2.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I tell yea, for chilli....Just use Williams no salt added chilli mix for the base. I use beef broth and 1 can of Rotel tomatoes with green chiles. Also no salt added. The Williams mix to me only needs a little more garlic and cumin. The best part is if it needs more "chilli kick" you are not adding a ton of salt at the same time. Its not that im anti sodium, its just that im 100% capable of salting my own food.

I like it so much i just get the big bottle instead of the tiny packs at the grocery store.
https://www.amazon.com/Williams-Chili-Seasoning-Mix-18/dp/B005A8SDCO
Oh and its nearly impossible to use too much onion in chilli. They cook away to nothing so save some fresh to add to your bowl or at the very end of the cook time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back