Favorite venison recipes???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing too fancy. I salt the steaks down; add some black pepper, some garlic powder, and finish with a light dusting of parsley flakes. Grill those suckers up and chow down.

Another favorite is to cut the steaks into 1/4 or 1/2 inch wide strips and season as above. Sauté some onions until they are translucent; add the steak strips and stir everything together until the strips are medium rare (only takes a couple minutes with the strips). Man oh man is that some good stuff.

Brined Deer Ham

The cure I used is called Pop’s Brine. You may find more about it online. The deer meat I used was a deboned ham. I rolled it off the bone following the bone with the knife. I also removed the membrane and glands in the ham. I soaked the deboned ham for 15 days in the fridge in this brine.

Pop’s brine calls for:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup kosher salt
1 Tablespoon Cure #1
1 gallon very cold water

You can dissolve the sugar and salt in a little warm water then finish bringing it to a gallon with cold water. You can also add some pickling spices if you want.

After 15 days rinse and season with black pepper or a favorite season going light on the salt because it’s been soaking in it.

I rolled mine and tied it in a loaf. Smoke on smoker until it reaches 170 internally.

Let rest and slice thinly!

Attachments

• 83BEFE82-E9FA-4B74-96A1-1A6A8D016C6C.jpeg
    83BEFE82-E9FA-4B74-96A1-1A6A8D016C6C.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 201DFEFB-769C-4717-A0DC-B484B4AB5C7C.jpeg
    201DFEFB-769C-4717-A0DC-B484B4AB5C7C.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 50B92EAD-5ACB-4626-91E5-E87C59614A9D.jpeg
    50B92EAD-5ACB-4626-91E5-E87C59614A9D.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 1
Take 1lb of venison burger and mix in 1 pack of lipton onion soup mix add just a little bit of water and mix it well. Pat out 4 1/4lb burgers and either grill or fry until medium well. Add a slice of American cheese and Enjoy! I usually use my Foreman grill and grill em 7 minutes!

Take a venison steak and cut about a 4 inch wide and a half inch thick steak. Take a meat hammer and pound it out until fairly thin. Dip the steak into a egg wash and then into cornmeal. Fry it up until golden brown and add cheese and whatever toppings that you like! Deer Veals is what my buddy always called em!

My venison chili recipe.

1-3/4 lb venison stew meat / ground venison
2 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 green pepper and 1/2 red pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 15 oz can Bush Mild Chili Red Beans, drained
1 15 oz can Bush Mild Chili Black Beans, drained
1 28 oz can Hunt's diced tomatoes, drained
2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2-1/2 tablespoons Tabasco Sauce

Brown meat. Saute onions and minced garlic, then peppers in juices from the meat over medium/high heat add olive oil as necessary. Place remaining ingredients in Instant Pot or Crock Pot and stir well, slow cook high 5 hours.

We like to take whole loin pieces and coat them generously with Bearded Black Butchers rub and some Canadian steak seasoning, let them set for a day in fridge. Then cook on high temp with smoker grill rubbing butter over when grilling, take off when pink and let rest at least 10 minutes covered in foil. Slice semi thin and enjoy with a salad and tater…811B7C7F-35B8-4F51-B8B6-B8528EF7DC01.jpeg
CAF53919-6EB2-4187-A95C-1A3C2FD2D5B0.jpeg

We like to take whole loin pieces and coat them generously with Bearded Black Butchers rub and some Canadian steak seasoning, let them set for a day in fridge. Then cook on high temp with smoker grill rubbing butter over when grilling, take off when pink and let rest at least 10 minutes covered in foil. Slice semi thin and enjoy with a salad and tater…View attachment 33972
View attachment 33974
Very nice. They look perfectly cooked & delish.
I use to cut all my backstraps into 1" chops when processing them into the freezer. Now I cut them into qt freezer bag lengths ( about 3-4 sections - depending on deer size ) and I too like the Montreal Steak seasoning with a splash of Worchester sauce & they go on a hot grill @400* for 8 min per side then rest before slicing very thin. Same thing in a cast iron skillet seared in butter or bacon grease. The satisfaction of hunting, butchering, processing, & cooking your own game & sitting down at the table with good friends & family for a meal like that is just priceless.

Here was Sunday supper.
We got fresh jumbo zucchini out of the garden.
I used my deer/bacon burger in this recipe. It’s outstanding!
The meat mix is;
2+lbs deer burger
1 huge sweet or vidalia onion or 2 med sized ones - diced med-fine & sautéed together until onions are done .
Put meat/onions in a large bowl.
Add 2 heaping tblsp minced garlic to mix.
4c water w/3 tblsp butter, S& P
2.5c long grain rice.
Cook 15 min. NOT 20 min.
Let cool, then dump in bowl with meat.
Add 1/2lb shredded Cheddar/Jack cheese. Mix well.
Slice zucchini & use lg metal spoon to scoop out the inside.
S & P the squash, then fill - piled up & packed down by hand.
Sauce;
2 jars whatever sauce you like with 1 lg can drained diced tomatoes & 1/4c sugar.
I used 1 jar of Tomato Parmesan Bisque & 1 jar of Marinara this time bc that’s what I had on hand. This sauce mix was excellent & it went very well with this dish. I'm going to use it again.
Cook the sauce & tomato mix down a little bit - cook the water out of it.
Then pour over everything.
Add 1c water to the pan
Cook on 350* 1hr then 300* for another hr.
The sauce will dry up on the top. You can put foil over the pan & cut cooking time by a good 30 min & still have the sauce on the wet side if you want.

Attachments

• IMG_0404.jpeg
    IMG_0404.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0405.jpeg
    IMG_0405.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Got the loin on for supper with a couple Yuenglings…
NICE!!! I got Yuenglings, Becks, & Guinness nitrogenated smooth & creamy draft in the frig, I think Becks will be nice with some of that squash for supper again tonight. I ate half of that one in the glass dish & a cpl Becks yesterday, I was full like a tick & happy as a clam. BUt I was DONE for getting anything done afterward.

Yuengling brewery is one of the oldest breweries around. I pay under $18.00 for a 24 count case, which is certainly not price gouging. They make an awesome traditional lager, which is my favorite, and a great black and tan. They are family owned and still have family values, which the other breweries just lost. I will put my money on them as the rest of the big breweries are big business and are bought off very easily…

Latest posts

Back