Fed B.O.R. Lock MZ success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only tried them once and they almost fell down the bore. Are you guys getting a tight fit?

Moderately loose fit in my REM. Ultimate but good group at 100 yds. The photo is actually a 4 shot group. Forgot to turn the Labradar on for one of them. I thought velocities were low, about 100fps compared to some other boolits.34A835F4-381E-4B42-ABD3-E1EB0405E1BD.jpeg

I agree with they're supposed to load easily. That skirt gets bumped up, obturates, when pressure develops under it from the burning powder. I think the skirt is what is referenced as the "B.O.R.S." in their name.

True, but they have to fit tight enough to stay on the powder. Especially, if you're using BH which needs compression.

I also remember when they first came out and were tested by I think Greg. They weren't expanding. I'm not sure if Federal fixed that. I like the bullet and they're legal in Colorado. I'd like to use them if they worked good. Sure beats a Powerbelt but I think my best hope for a bullet I can use for all game is the new Hornady Bore Driver.

Any idea when the Bore Driver will be available for purchase?
I occasionally shoot the BOR Lock and shot a doe with one at 80yds behind the front leg a few years ago. Bang flop, with 90grs 777. Recovered bullet under the off side, just broke the skin. Expansion was okay but IMHO another 10 or 20 grains would have been better. Have not tried the lead ones

.20210317_115053.jpg

20210317_115038.jpg

Last edited:
I talked to Hornady and she said they plan to ship in April. I hope she's right. I'll wait until then before buying any bullets. I would have preferred a 250gr and maybe 325gr for elk. 250gr is perfect for deer. 290gr is ok though.

The only time I had issue with them was when I had forgotten to run a dry patch through the bore after it had been in storage. There must have been a small trace of lube or cleaner left in the bore. There wasnt enough friction to hold the bullet on the powder long enough for the skirt to expand. I saw a puff of smoke and heard the bullet hit the ground in front of me lol. Luckily i was target shooting and not hunting :p.I always fire a primer before loading now just to be sure and havent had an issue since. I couldn't get them to group as well with my accura but I shoot these bullets exclusively with my wolf.

True, but they have to fit tight enough to stay on the powder. Especially, if you're using BH which needs compression.

I also remember when they first came out and were tested by I think Greg. They weren't expanding. I'm not sure if Federal fixed that. I like the bullet and they're legal in Colorado. I'd like to use them if they worked good. Sure beats a Powerbelt but I think my best hope for a bullet I can use for all game is the new Hornady Bore Driver.
I shot him with the 270gr federal bor lock out of my optima pistol he was at 60yd complete pass-through

Attachments

• 20201226_165442.jpg
    20201226_165442.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 6
Back