Federal 350g BorLock--50g Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning the Federal 350g Premium bullet was tested. The load was 50g of Blackhorn, W209 primer, and the 350g bullet which uses no sabot. The bullet was very easy to load. Range was 25 yard to test media consisting of carpet, plywood, water jugs, and a phone book stack.

At 25 yard, the bullets was clocked at 1045 fps. The bullet penetrated carpet, plywood, 5 jugs, and into the sixth jug where it was found. The first two jugs were split on the front face. Now the bullet weighs 330.5g. The skirt thingy was found on the ground below the horse.

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

Looks familiar with the same results, didn't you test this bullet back in the summer?
Also, I noticed this time it's with 50 vs 80gr. Any other difference.
These test are great, thanks again.

Question:
How is your gun holding up to these test?
How about breech plug?
Any issues, ignition issues?
And of course - how are you holding up? My friend Bob Wood.... did testing with different amounts and makers of Black Powder years ago (2500 shots) all with the same 500gr bullet and gun - took months.. He wrote it up in MB magazine. He said he would never do that much intense testing like that again.

Here is a LINK to the test using 80g of Blackhorn as the charge.

My guess is i have tested about 60 bullets. Normally i shoot two shots of each bullet. So it seems i have shot around 135 or so shots to do these tests. Gun is just fine. Breech plug is fine. Zero ignition issues. No big deal.

Have you tested the all copper ones, my buddy just bought some. Wondering if I should tell him to put them in the trash.

Your tests are fantastic for me, I want to thank you for all the time you have spent doing these. Being able to look at the various bullets and their performance in these tests is a great way to begin to understand and compare the claimed results and real life results. at least on the media you are using for the testing.

Thanks very much.
windwalker1

Back