Federal B.O.R-LOK Bullets.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramrod1

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Federal Premium .50-cal. 270-gr. Trophy Copper Muzzleloader Bullets

I had a package of them and ran them thru one of my 50s at the range. They were accurate using a 77 weighed grain load of BH209 and q100 yards. Other than that I have no idea how they would work on , say, a deer. The gun I used will plant 5 300 grain.44 cal XTP bullets in a nice cloverleaf at 100 yards. Ten of these bullets made similar groups at the 100 yards but slightly higher and somewhat left of center. If I had to I would use these in the gun in the field and not touch any of the adjustments. No idea how the compare velocity wise with this charge. They loaded very easy.

I shot a doe with a 270 gr copper version over 90grs of pyrodex, in 2016. Shot was at 78 yds according to my rangefinder and she dropped in her tracks. Bullet went in right side behind shoulder and was sticking out the opposite side but still lodged in skin. All but one petal expanded well, one only partially. None of the base ring was attached nor was the plastic tip. Bullet weighed 252 grs. I was happy with the performance but if I decide to use it again, I will up the charge to 110grs or so and may switch to 777.
John20151207_211453_zpshj3fe0cj.jpg20151207_211421_zpsfgmdcppl.jpg

I shot a doe with a 270 gr copper version over 90grs of pyrodex, in 2016. Shot was at 78 yds according to my rangefinder and she dropped in her tracks. Bullet went in right side behind shoulder and was sticking out the opposite side but still lodged in skin. All but one petal expanded well, one only partially. None of the base ring was attached nor was the plastic tip. Bullet weighed 252 grs. I was happy with the performance but if I decide to use it again, I will up the charge to 110grs or so and may switch to 777.
JohnView attachment 4092View attachment 4093

Not bad for sure.

It did, she fell immediately and kicked a couple times and that was it. If i recall correctly, everything we looked at had a lot of torn up parts and essentially mush. The bullet performed well enough but i think if the shot had been further, it might not have opened up enough which is why I am thinking that if I use it again, the charge will be 777 and likely 110 grs.

Latest posts

Back