Federal Firestick

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm pretty open minded and accepting. While I never moved past the old plunger design inlines, still hunt with my Knights, newer technology never bothered me. I have zero issues with custom rifles or SML's. This however bothers me. I think to me the bottom line is, all the previous guns are muzzleloaders. In my mind this isn't. It's not legal in VA, propellant and projectile must load through the muzzle.

I remember when inlines became popular here, people complained about them being used during muzzleloader season. I remember thinking it didn't bother me as they were still muzzleloaders. I don't feel the same about these. Every year I here more complaints at VDGIF meetings from the gun hunters about muzzleloader season. As such, I hope these stay out of muzzleloader season. I worry as manufacturers push the limits we will eventually lose the muzzleloader season.

Am I way off base here?
In Michigan mz season is after cf season in Dec . It falls during the 2nd rut of 1 1/2 yr doe statewide . Good time to be in the woods !!!! Few do it .
We have a couple areas in the southern lower penninsula that were management areas for Chronic Wasteing Disease . There any weapon was allowed legal for the areas . I dont/wont hunt there anymore .
If anything hurts hunting success here its the Early Special hunts --- very political . Youth , wounded veteran , etc. ,etc . Spooked pressured deer are hard to hunt !!!!!!

Am I way off base here?

All this is very very confusing. How is it, a rifle doesn't load from the muzzle yet is considered a muzzle loader??? It is as though words don't mean what they mean. If a rifle loads from the muzzle, isn't it a muzzle loader? If a rifle loads from the breech, it is a breech loader?

If a rifle loads from the muzzle, and from the breech it is a hermaphrodite?? If a rifle loads from both the muzzle, and the breech, how is it considered a muzzle loader?

This confusion would encourage one to babble, and babble, and .....................

Well, I think it will come down to how someone defines loaded. You can’t load the bullet from the breech and it’s not loaded in the legal sense, without one. It’s not a breechloader if it can’t be loaded from the breech.
I can load a T/C Triumph the same way, turn out the breechplug with my fingers, slide in 2 pellets, put the plug back, load a bullet from the muzzle.

I can load a T/C Triumph the same way, turn out the breechplug with my fingers, slide in 2 pellets, put the plug back, load a bullet from the muzzle.

You can do it, but it doesn’t matter what you can do. It matters what your state game management agency says you can do. I’ve learned that they’re not necessarily open to logic and reason.

LMAO. All these hating comments on how it's a bad design and such and no one has even used them. SMH. That being said, I do not think it would be in my wheel house because I like loose powder and being able to develop my own charges but to all the people who use Pellets, this may be a much better option. They claim it is cleaner and much more consistent than pellets.
I say it is an inferior design because there are several breech loading rifles that use metallic cartridges. If you are going to use a breech loader, why would you not use one that uses metallic cartridges, which cost a lot less, are virtually waterproof, and easier to clean? SMH.

I think I'm pretty open minded and accepting. While I never moved past the old plunger design inlines, still hunt with my Knights, newer technology never bothered me. I have zero issues with custom rifles or SML's. This however bothers me. I think to me the bottom line is, all the previous guns are muzzleloaders. In my mind this isn't. It's not legal in VA, propellant and projectile must load through the muzzle.

I remember when inlines became popular here, people complained about them being used during muzzleloader season. I remember thinking it didn't bother me as they were still muzzleloaders. I don't feel the same about these. Every year I here more complaints at VDGIF meetings from the gun hunters about muzzleloader season. As such, I hope these stay out of muzzleloader season. I worry as manufacturers push the limits we will eventually lose the muzzleloader season.

Am I way off base here?
Louisiana has a Primitive Weapon season,instead of a muzzl
My actual ML season is long gone other than managed hunts. It went away when they allowed hand rifles like a 7mm-08 Encore pistol and changed the name of the season. So i dont really care if its allowed or not in my state. My SMLs will dust it in performance anyday. In all the years ive hunted deer ive done over 90% with a ML or SML and that includes during firearms season. I needed a quick 2nd shot once in all those years.

I just dont see how it would make my season better or worse.
Louisiana no longer has a ML season. They have Primitive Weapons season. Most have switched to single shot breech loaders and and metallic cartridges.

now some people might understand how traditionalist think about Inlines period
Actually because of how many traditionalists act is why i dont get one . The inline was invented in 1816 iirc and they cant seem to recall that or support anybody else that has one based on that old design concept . Truthfully with the worst of them gathered together id love to show up with a thumbhole stocked side hammer in blue--green and orange polka dots with a modern fast twist precision barrel shooting sabots with blackhorn and deflate their nazi egos down around their ankles when we go pull the targets . Its really getting.old hearing this crap from them all the time and having to tolerate the rudeness constantly . ENOUGH ......

Last edited:
They had a flinter called the Ferguson during Revolutionary War used by British. I have same feeling as you about it

They had a flinter called the Ferguson during Revolutionary War used by British. I have same feeling as you about it
We are all muzzleloaders . I dont understand at all why some guys feel it necessasary to divide us all into us vs them ??? For what purpose ???
Thanks for understanding 45--70 the inlines dilema . I just dont get at all why there has to be one.....

I just dont care how traditional or primitive or whatever it is or is not. Its just not gunna float in any state that prohibits pellets unless they change the laws and im betting when its put under a microscope they find out the Triple 8 is closer to smokeless than BH209. Any state that does not allow smokeless will either ban them or allow smokeless. You could do the same thing in a few minutes with a cheap single shot 45/70. Load up some brass with BH209 and add a polywad to seal it. The loading procedure for all intents is identical other than the brass is primed and its not a 50cal.

So once they change all the laws to allow the Fiddlesticks you should be able to shoot just about whatever your heart desires.

I just dont care how traditional or primitive or whatever it is or is not. Its just not gunna float in any state that prohibits pellets unless they change the laws and im betting when its put under a microscope they find out the Triple 8 is closer to smokeless than BH209. Any state that does not allow smokeless will either ban them or allow smokeless. You could do the same thing in a few minutes with a cheap single shot 45/70. Load up some brass with BH209 and add a polywad to seal it. The loading procedure for all intents is identical other than the brass is primed and its not a 50cal.

So once they change all the laws to allow the Fiddlesticks you should be able to shoot just about whatever your heart desires.
EXACTLY !!!!! Well said GM54--120 !!!!!!
It isnt a muzzle -- loader !!!!

ATM it is NOT in my state according to the regs. So it dont matter if i think it is or not. Regardless of what happens its not going to effect me in the slightest. It wont effect our current season either. Guys who want "easy" will just buy a Encore hand rifle. Not a thing will change other than opening up another can of worms when some guy loads up a 45/70 the same way. The CO can easily check if it was loaded within the regs.

Pull the brass out....Yep its got a sabot stuck in the bore....You are good to go sir, have a nice day.

ATM it is NOT in my state according to the regs. So it dont matter if i think it is or not. Regardless of what happens its not going to effect me in the slightest. It wont effect our current season either. Guys who want "easy" will just buy a Encore hand rifle. Not a thing will change other than opening up another can of worms when some guy loads up a 45/70 the same way. The CO can easily check if it was loaded within the regs.

Pull the brass out....Yep its got a sabot stuck in the bore....You are good to go sir, have a nice day.
Just think !!! 460 weatherby sales will skyrocket !!!! :eek:

Last edited:
You wouldnt like an alternative to bhorn ??? Are you happy with the price for 10oz instead of 16 ??? You dont think bhorn could be surpassed in cleanliness and preformance ??? Competition for our $$$ isnt welcomed for better ??? Really.....????
Nitrosticks are $2.70 a shot, not counting the primer.

IMHO, legalizing Firesticks will lead to opening more states to straight wall cartridge hunting during “muzzleloader seasons”. Instead of calling them Firesticks, they should probably call them Coffin Nails (an old reference to cigarettes that young folks may not have heard) for muzzleloaders.

Latest posts

Back