Federal Firestick

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, legalizing Firesticks will lead to opening more states to straight wall cartridge hunting during “muzzleloader seasons”. Instead of calling them Firesticks, they should probably call them Coffin Nails (an old reference to cigarettes that young folks may not have heard) for muzzleloaders.
Thats the truth right there .

IMHO, legalizing Firesticks will lead to opening more states to straight wall cartridge hunting during “muzzleloader seasons”. Instead of calling them Firesticks, they should probably call them Coffin Nails (an old reference to cigarettes that young folks may not have heard) for muzzleloaders.

My current rifles will out shoot many CFs already soooo what am i missing here? A faster 2nd shot? Cheaper cost per shot possibly? No corrosion?

That would be bad why exactly?
Is there a reason you feel rifles that can easily kill deer past 200 yards deserve a special season?

My current rifles will out shoot many CFs already soooo what am i missing here? A faster 2nd shot? Cheaper cost per shot possibly? No corrosion?

The elimination of the special mz season . Thats why . You didnt forget which forum your on did ya ???

How does my rifle differ from a 30-30 or 35rem in terms of effectively harvesting deer out to 250 yards?.....If anything mine is better than 2 commonly used rounds. I only get 1 buck tag and 1 doe tag. Sooooo i just dot get it.

Special primitive "draw hunts" sure but why would i DESERVE my own season when my rifles are just as effective as a CF? Just because i cant reload as fast?

Is there a reason you feel rifles that can easily kill deer past 200 yards deserve a special season?

The second shot would be no faster than a regular inline. You would still have to ram the bullet down the muzzle.

No, i was addressing the single shot straight wall CF that some states allow. Notice my quote with BOLD highlights.

The special ML season ended as soon as they allowed, subs, jacketed bullets, 209 primers and scopes. Not much is primitive about any of those things so whats one more nail? I dont get an additional tag for using a ML. I hunt firearms season with a ML by choice, so i just dont see all the fuss within my regs.

Just maybe we see it as the LAST NAIL , and its not worth it .
At times i hunt cf season with a mz too . I also just got a 45 Raptor / 300 win mag switch rig set up for my A--Bolt . You can bet i will use them too . And there is a difference , even among cf .
You have said you dont usually hunt the special season anyway only regular and special draw hunts . So where is your beef ?? ? Mine is its not a true mz with a loading breech , shelf, then bullet . BIG DIFFERENCE . Cant talk about it 2 ways . Or try to add in a third .

You dont understand
I get ONE any deer tag. Its good for firearms and alternative season. I can buy additional doe tags in a few counties....thats it other than managed draw hunt tags.
When im drawn i use slightly more primitive methods by choice..I could use a SML if i wanted for the hunts i apply for.
Hunter orange is mandatory except for archery season
My alternative season is AFTER firearms.
We have managed hunts with more restrictions and high success for those that dont want to share the woods.
My NULA will shoot a 275gr bullet over 2400fps very accurately. That is a fair amount better than a 450BM. It smokes the NitroFire to hell and back.
Nearly any ML is legal as long as its 40cal or larger and loads from the muzzle.

How exactly is the Fiddlestick going to effect MY seasons?
How exactly would a single shot straight wall CF rifle effect my seasons?
This is nothing more than "I dont want to share the woods with THOSE people" even though killing performance is virtually the same as many commonly used CFs today.

I cant seem to get a straight answer to this.

You dont understand
I get ONE any deer tag. Its good for firearms and alternative season. I can buy additional doe tags in a few counties....thats it other than managed draw hunt tags.
My alternative season is AFTER firearms.
We have managed hunts with more restrictions and high success for those that dont want to share the woods.
My NULA will shoot a 275gr bullet over 2400fps very accurately. That is a fair amount better than a 450BM. It smokes the NitroFire to hell and back.
Nearly any ML is legal as long as its 40cal or larger and loads from the muzzle.

How exactly is the Fiddlestick going to effect MY seasons?
How exactly would a single shot straight wall CF rifle effect my seasons?
This is nothing more than "I dont want to share the woods with THOSE people" even though killing performance is virtually the same.

I cant seem to get a straight answer to this.
Yep youre in Michigan same as me . I suppose i could say the same thing except my Raptor smokes your Nula .
The fact that the Nitrofire cant load entirely from the muzzle is the reason its not a mz period . It would be in my favor potentionally to use the Raptor but i really dont want to loose the season of the 2nd rut or its being for an mz . Tends to be a closer range season because of deer movement anyway . The second shot theory has never held water that ive ever seen unless you got a semi auto truthfully . Everybody seems to worry about that than do what it takes for precision on the first shot as should they . Running or not .
Yes i LIKE the fact that much fewer are in the woods and fields during mz season here . It seems the politically correct special hunts run non stop from nearly late summer right into regular cf season without a break . There is only about a week then before mz season begins and i see the deer relax a bit too . Good for us both . Nocturnal deer dont get "managed" .
MZ season was always the true die hard hunters would brave the elements to go out and hunt . As i grew i also saw thats when the fewest were in the woods as well . The biggest smartest bucks are also much more readily available to shoot then . Part naturally and partly because the place wasnt full of PEOPLE willing to freeze their butts off for that chance . I LIKE THAT . The season IS special if you can hunt . I LIKE THAT TOO . Could i do it with a sidehammer ??? Yea but i Really Dont Want One . Many reasons as to why .

Last edited:
Our managed hunts are not way before firearms season. Some are just a day or two before. Some maybe a week. Archery starts ways before firearms and goes on for even longer after. It makes no difference if i think a NitroFire is a ML at all. ATM the state regs are clear to me. ONLY FROM THE MUZZLE is exactly how its worded. I take "ONLY" as meaning all components. The exact same system would be completely legal in a pistol.

BUT its not going to go over well in states that ban:
Sabots/Powerbelts.....i dont see people using it with most conicals other than thors
Smokeless....im betting its a nitro based propellant
Pellets...sure looks like a "pelletized propellant module" even though its loose inside.
209s primers
Scopes

Those states will either have to change regs or make a special exemption for 1 firearm and 1 propellant. That will open up a whole mess of other legal issues if its an exemption. States that already allow all those things wont be affected at all.

Our managed hunts are not way before firearms season. Some are just a day or two before. Some maybe a week. Archery starts ways before firearms and goes on for even longer after. It makes no difference if i think a NitroFire is a ML at all. ATM the state regs are clear to me. ONLY FROM THE MUZZLE is exactly how its worded. I take "ONLY" as meaning all components. The exact same system would be completely legal in a pistol.

BUT its not going to go over well in states that ban:
Sabots/Powerbelts.....i dont see people using it with most conicals other than thors
Smokeless....im betting its a nitro based propellant
Pellets...sure looks like a "pelletized propellant module" even though its loose inside.
209s primers

Those states will either have to change regs or make a special exemption for 1 firearm and 1 propellant. That will open up a whole mess of other legal issues if its an exemption.
Honestly cant tell you anymore when the youth hunt , liberty hunt , wounded vetran hunt etc is anymore . Used to be damn early though for some . I have to tolerate they screw things up i CAN tell you that . Geez the firearms season is 2wks and after day 2 1/2 if you dont have a deer its gonna be a loonng season !!! Thank God for mz season !!!
The bird hunters dont hurt or their dogs . Deer hunters hurt it .
If guys think an mz is expensive go ahead and stay tuned up with a handgun HA!!! I used to hunt with a 44 mag down state . Glad its gone !!!! Furthest kill was 158 paces . Cost a fortune in practice with hunting loads not to mention constant stress fractures in the wrist !!!! They can keep em !!!
Thats the whole problem with the nitrofire and probably that lehigh as well . LEGALITIES . Season changes or eliminations . Somebody really ought to think about what they are trying to do with their whiz bang creations in the grand scheme of things . Rare today i know . Its alot like looking BEYOND your intended target BEFORE you pull the trigger !!! After is too late . Besides they got PLENTY TO IMPROVE UPON with exsisting designs and executing those issues already . The last thing needed is a exclusive system for THEM . Cash cow ??? You betcha !!! Honorless in the grand scheme .

We got late youth hunts and early managed youth hunts. We got hunts to satisfy nearly everyone but BPCR. We even have managed hunts that allow firearms just to keep numbers in check. I say shoot what ya got and combine our CF and alternate method season. Remove some of the firearms managed hunts. Add more ML managed hunts and maybe some single shots.

Until im offered a real ML season before firearms i just don't see any point in the current minimal restrictions. Its a joke. A PACNW type reg early season even if its just 5 days to a 1 week would be great.

Honestly cant tell you anymore when the youth hunt , liberty hunt , wounded vetran hunt etc is anymore...………..

Note: Within the bTB area, they start shooting ANY deer after dark with night vision and silencers, starting in September right up until just prior to Archery.

Deer:

• Early Antlerless Firearm: Sept. 21-22, 2019
  • Liberty Hunt: September 14-15, 2019
    • Youth and Hunters With Disabilities Hunt
  • Independence Hunt: Oct. 17-20, 2019
    • Hunters With Disabilities Hunt
  • *Archery: Oct. 1 - Nov. 14, 2019 and Dec. 1, 2019 - Jan. 1, 2020
    • Extended Archery - Urban Deer Management Zone of Macomb, Oakland and Wayne Counties: Open through January 31, 2020.
  • *Regular Firearm: Nov. 15-30, 2019
  • Muzzleloading:
    • Zone 1: Dec. 6-15, 2019
    • Zone 2: Dec. 6-15, 2019
    • Zone 3: Dec. 6-22, 2019
  • Late Antlerless Firearm:
    • Dec. 23, 2019 - Jan.1, 2020
    • South of M32 in Alpena County, private land only, Jan. 2-5 and Jan. 9-12, 2020

Note: Within the bTB area, they start shooting ANY deer after dark with night vision and silencers, starting in September right up until just prior to Archery.

Deer:

• Extended Archery - Urban Deer Management Zone of Macomb, Oakland and Wayne Counties: Open through January 31, 2020.
  • Muzzleloading:
    • South of M32 in Alpena County, private land only, Jan. 2-5 and Jan. 9-12, 2020
If i was a deer id stay hid all my life !!!! :moon:

I can't imagine why anyone would buy the firestick system. How is this easier than pellets? Dropping two or three pellets and pushing down a sabot/bullet. This system you still have to push down the sabot/bullet. I can see Bass pro and Cabela stocking them for only a few years and then dropping the product line... Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Well, they’re moisture proof, that’s the difference.
There is a big segment of the market that wants it as simple as possible, shoots less than 10 rounds a years and doesn’t really clean their rifle so they replace them every few years. They mostly aren’t on this forum.

How many guys are going to be out hunting in rain hard enough where a regular inline wouldn't stay dry, most people wont hunt if its barely sprinkling. Knight rifles, CVA and T/C etc are plenty waterproof as long as you don't point barrel up in the air. I would never buy one because I see no need for anything any simpler or easier and I like what I have now.
See this appealing to the lazy people as stated who don't really want to clean or mess with there guns other then to shoot a couple shots to get on paper and be done except for shooting at a deer.

Deer:

• Muzzleloading:
Less than 1/2 of 1% of ALL the deer ever taken to the Michigan DNR during the last 25 yrs have EVER tested positive for bovine TB .

In the earlier years military snipers would head shoot the deer and let them lay in the fields . Farmers bitched so they "mended their ways" and gut shoot them instead .

I think that speaks for itself ....

Just to put this into perspective you used to be able to turn a corner by hay fields at night and see literally HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS OF DEER in them . Now youre LUCKY to see a handfull .

I dont like car insurance lobbying and i dont trust the DNR to do whats right with this fiddlestick Either.......

Last edited:
Well its already illegal here, smokeless is allowed but the rule is it must take the powder and the bullet from the muzzle. Considering who is making it I don't even want one alongside of me at the range , in fact I may make a motion at the meeting on them.

Well its already illegal here, smokeless is allowed but the rule is it must take the powder and the bullet from the muzzle. Considering who is making it I don't even want one alongside of me at the range , in fact I may make a motion at the meeting on them.
Smart man ......

Back