Felt wad or cut off sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to make some wads out of sabots when i got to the range and had left my wool wads at home. They worked really well IF you trim them carefully. I had a bunch that i left some slivers of the petals on and accuracy was not great. But the sabots that i was more careful with shot very tight groups. Im only shooting them now. Its worth the time and $ to me for the improvement ive seen. This is in my Accura .45 LR.

Felt wads in both the .451 and .504 Super 91 White rifles. Never tried anything else, no need too!
Afternoon ToyTruck: Would you share maker name and size of felt wads used in the .451 and .504 White rifles? If the maker has a part number that would be handy to know also. Do you use dry felt wads?
Thank you: Steve

I have tried to but haven't been able to find any info yet.
I will delve into this more tomorrow.
I will let you know if I am able to find anything.
Thank you: Steve

Track of the wolf sells dry wool wads and also ox yolk lube wads. I personally use the 54 cal size in my 504 whites. Of course other vendors carry them. The 54 cal are over sized for a 50 but they create a nice tight bore seal.

I much prefer the MMP Sub Base than any other type wad in a 50 cal.

You can see the sub base inserted in the muzzle with the bullet sitting on top

Lehigh-500-325.jpg

MMP_Sub_Base.jpg

I trim sabots and shoot them under a 275 grain .500 Barnes expander and a 300 grain Hornady .500 ftx and get really good accuracy. A lot better than veggie wads. I’ve never tried felt wads.

A very sharp pair of scissors. Just bend the petals down all you can bend them and trim them off
I found that they needed a little more precise trim than i got with scissors. Might just be my eyes are getting worse. Also i may not have been using great scissors.

Perhaps poly wads will work? There are times when vegetable wads don't work very good, but the poly wads work great.
Ive never tried poly wads. Im going to give them a try. Ive never used vegetable wads either, tho.

Back