Felt wad or cut off sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MIchigan Muzzy, what kind of groups are you getting from your Accura /45 LR? Mine doesn't shoot worth a darn. I'd like to know what you're shooting. I have some .50 subbases I got from Precision Rifle years ago. Never made any difference under a sabot, never thought to use instead of a sabot. I'll give it a try in one of my .50s.

I found that they needed a little more precise trim than i got with scissors. Might just be my eyes are getting worse. Also i may not have been using great scissors.

Ive never tried poly wads. Im going to give them a try. Ive never used vegetable wads either, tho.
I can get 99% with the scissors and if there’s a little left I use a coarse file to get the rest.

MIchigan Muzzy, what kind of groups are you getting from your Accura /45 LR? Mine doesn't shoot worth a darn. I'd like to know what you're shooting. I have some .50 subbases I got from Precision Rifle years ago. Never made any difference under a sabot, never thought to use instead of a sabot. I'll give it a try in one of my .50s.
I shoot bh209 80grV, a Gould home cast 40:1 lead bullet 346grn, sized .4525, last weekend i was putting 4 shots into <3/4" @ 50yds. (I had someone offer to buy the gun from me after that) i have a Lehigh breechplug in it. I have some saboted bullets but i really like shooting these fullbore bullets.

Last edited:
The sub bases are designed to go under a sabot for really hot loads arent they? Would they work with a flat base bullet.

I can get 99% with the scissors and if there’s a little left I use a coarse file to get the rest.
If youve never used a shotshell slitter, its pretty slick. Push the shell into a hole, squeeze the little arm that has a razor blade in it, spin the shell and it makes a perfect straight cut. Im sure I can make a .410 slitter work on a .45 sabot.

Just got back from the range and found one more good thing about the cutoff sabot. I did not get any cold barrel flyers. After target check breaks i would always have my first bullet about 1" to 1-1/2" away from the next 3 or 4 when using wool wads. Just to recheck that, i shot four groups with cut sabots. Then 3 groups with wads. All right after target checks and every group with wads had a wide first shot. Also the wool wad loads POI is about an inch higher than the sabot. I was shooting 70grV bh209, W209, Fury 265 STB .4525 in my Accura. Only swabbed between groups.

My best groups with the fury 265 tiped has been with 102 V of bh209. Getting ready to start a new lot# tomorrow, we’ll see if it holds true to the previous lot#.

If youve never used a shotshell slitter, its pretty slick. Push the shell into a hole, squeeze the little arm that has a razor blade in it, spin the shell and it makes a perfect straight cut. Im sure I can make a .410 slitter work on a .45 sabot.
Does the shotshell slitter work on the plastic wads. I am very interested in being able to trim the 0.618" diameter ribbed non-toxic wads that Ballistic Products sells for 20 gauge shotshell reloading.

I want to be able to trim the unslitted, 3" wads down to any length that I want so that I can experiment with non-toxic shot in a 0.620" diameter, 20 gauge black powder smoothbore.

Does the shotshell slitter work on the plastic wads. I am very interested in being able to trim the 0.618" diameter ribbed non-toxic wads that Ballistic Products sells for 20 gauge shotshell reloading.

I want to be able to trim the unslitted, 3" wads down to any length that I want so that I can experiment with non-toxic shot in a 0.620" diameter, 20 gauge black powder smoothbore.
IDK. I got my 12 ga slitter from BPI. But i only load slugs. Havent tried trimming a wad or cup down yet.

If that unslitted wad will fit in the 20ga hole i bet it'll trim just fine. These short little slitted wads are so flimsy they are tougher to cut. Ive gotta just get one here and tinker with it.

Ballistic Products wad trimmer is just a pair of scissors! Guess they dont think it has to be trimmed precisely.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Reloaders-Snips-6/productinfo/SNIPS/

I saw where the black powder cartridge shooters were fouling their barrels for a cold shot with graphite. The same spray on stuff for locks. I spray it on a patch, swab, and allow time for the alcohol to evaporate. It has worked well for me.

I saw where the black powder cartridge shooters were fouling their barrels for a cold shot with graphite. The same spray on stuff for locks. I spray it on a patch, swab, and allow time for the alcohol to evaporate. It has worked well for me.

??? What does that have to do with a “Felt wad or Cut off Sabot”?

Latest posts

Back