Felt wad or cut off sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier he had mentioned cold barrel flyers and I offered a possible solution. Sorry if that wasn't appropriate.

It’s all good, I see what you we’re talking about now :lewis:

That Graphite Lock eeze ”Cold Bore” Shot info is here on this Forum as Well, I tried it a Few years back and Spoke of it here

Ok, here's my dumb question:. Has anyone tried using a guillotine style cigar cutter to trim sabots in this fashion? If you get a good one, they're quite sharp.

51YurQ-zgDL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Ok, here's my dumb question:. Has anyone tried using a guillotine style cigar cutter to trim sabots in this fashion? If you get a good one, they're quite sharp.

View attachment 10057
No, never smoked cigars so it never occurred to me. Im going to look at some in a local smoke shop. Good idea. I love your dumb questions. Its your smart questions that concern me.

Hmmm! Kinda like a pipe cutter? How’d the cuticle cutters work? jcnull did I-Lewis get your adjustable mould handles yet? That’s going to be interesting to see what he comes up with. Wrap those sore hands around a cold beer!

Hmmm! Kinda like a pipe cutter? How’d the cuticle cutters work? jcnull did I-Lewis get your adjustable mould handles yet? That’s going to be interesting to see what he comes up with. Wrap those sore hands around a cold beer!

That's the thought, although the more I think about it, it would probably be a lot of effort. I'm sure there's better, purpose built tools for the job.

Lewis should have the ST Machining handles tomorrow.

That's the thought, although the more I think about it, it would probably be a lot of effort. I'm sure there's better, purpose built tools for the job.

Lewis should have the ST Machining handles tomorrow.

Tracking say’s tomorrow :lewis: I emptied my Lead Pot and Cleaned it today, It’s Ready to Pour HIGH QC Bullets ;)

Interesting information for sure and this thread has some interesting potential concepts. My gun shoots Powerbelts under an inch at 100 yards with a scope. I am in Idaho so have to shoot a full lead bullet and a Powebelt is legal but I don't like the hollow point or the poor expansion reports on elk. The no excuses I have been using are no where near as accurate as the Powerbelts. I have used them with and without wool wads. I was wondering if it would make any sense to put a sabot base under a cast bullet like a Lyman plains bullet to mimic the Powerbelt accuracy in my rifle? As always, thanks for the great information.

Interesting information for sure and this thread has some interesting potential concepts. My gun shoots Powerbelts under an inch at 100 yards with a scope. I am in Idaho so have to shoot a full lead bullet and a Powebelt is legal but I don't like the hollow point or the poor expansion reports on elk. The no excuses I have been using are no where near as accurate as the Powerbelts. I have used them with and without wool wads. I was wondering if it would make any sense to put a sabot base under a cast bullet like a Lyman plains bullet to mimic the Powerbelt accuracy in my rifle? As always, thanks for the great information.
I recommend that you at least try it. Hardly any cost for a few groups. Im using cut sabots under a cast lead bullet.

TFacis, please let us know your results when you do try it. I've gotten good accuracy with wool wads and 400 gr. lead bullets, but would always like my groups to be smaller. I've heard too many horror stories about Powerbelts on elk, so I've never tried them. I've used all kind of bullets on elk, and wasn't happy with the results until I went to a 405 gr. Remington .458 made for the .45-70. DRT on my first 3, and 35 yards onthe 4th.

Muzzy! Are you saying you have to much time on your hands? LOL I’m waiting on some nipples from Buffalo Arms. Need to start cutting some more firewood. I’m loving all this retirement time! Just have to get prepared for fall... Got drawn into Lake Katherine for there muzzle permit! Might need another freezer. Get her tuned in November 15th right around the corner!

So how tight of a fit are you guys getting from the cut off sabot base? I had a bag of MMP 50 cal sabots (black smooth sided) not sure of the product number. I cut the petals clean and did a test fit in my Whitetail. Seems pretty loose fit in the .504 bore. Does this matter? Thinking of trying a test run with my home cast 450 grn bullets. Any advantage to following the sabot base with a thin card wad before dropping the bullet down to the sabot base?

They did fit looser than when they have petals and a bullet in them. I havent tried a card or wad with it because the base seems to have enough rigidity and still seal really well.

Latest posts

Back