Finally got to the Range today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got to the range today and shot the LH Renegade that I bought Gemihur. I was able to get the oversized bullet unstuck by firing between .5-1gr of 777-3F. The bullet only moved about 8 inches, but I was able to pull it out from that point. Harleyboss was gracious to send me some 50-415I bullets to try out. Three were sized to .499 and the other three were sized to .501. The .499 size bullets just slid down the bore from their own weight. The 501 bullets went down with a slight bit of resistance just the way I like it. I dropped one of the 499-sized bullets and it got banged up so I didn't shoot it as I was afraid the little grit I saw on the bullet might scratch the inside of the bore. Both bullets almost hit the same spot. The two holes on the right were my first shots, shooting one of each of the ones Harleyboss sent me. After I adjusted the windage a little and settled down the remaining three bullets went almost into the same hole. My shots were at 50 yards using a load of 70gr of 777-3F and I used a 50 cal felt wad as I didn't purchase any 54 cal wads as of yet. To say I'm ecstatic is an understatement. The only thing I did notice is my shoulder hurts more than shooting my 45 with my 345gr bullets. LOL I may have to get a recoil pad?? LOL

I like the method the Marines taught us to sight in our rifles to point of aim equals point of impact. So If I aim at 6 o'clock that is where I want my bullets to hit. So I need to adjust my elevation to shoot lower as my aiming point is 6 O'clock under the black.

Attachments

• 50I.jpg
    50I.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 0
You might powder coat those .499, the extra diameter from the PC would help them stay in the bore, and also lubricate them. PC would probably bring them out to .503 but it is somewhat soft and should allow easy loading.

I should add that the proper way would be to decide on your diameter, then PC and size to that diameter. I'm guessing that with slippery PC on them, you'll need more like .508 or larger.

I originally took a cast bullet that measures. 508 as is from the 50-415I mold and shoved/hammered it down the bore. I then tried the best I could to pull the bullet out and it would not budge. I was just about to try Idahoron's Grease Gun method to push the bullet out, but decided to try a small charge of powder less than 1gr, and fire it off at the range. As it turned out, the bullet did not come out but moved approximately 8" up the bore. I inserted my bullet puller and was able to pull the bullet out the rest of the way. I put my caliper on the bullet and it measured .501.

Is this a smooth bore? I'm guessing it is a 50 cal which is normally about 495-500 on the small side and 50x to a lot more on the big side if rifled.

Good Shooting!!!
Harleyboss generously gifted me a sample to try in my Renegade as well. I’m looking forward to getting out to the range. I will likely run 80gr of 2F Scheutzen since I don’t have any triple 7 to duplicate your load.

A quick search suggests .500 and either .507 or .510. If yours is a .507 groove, then I could see how such a long bullet at .508 could get stuck. My Traditions is like .520 in the grooves, which seems huge to me. .510 would be nicer since it would match my airgun, though I can't see throwing anything heavier than a 320 grain REAL through it. My airgun is designed for up to a 550 grain pure lead bullet, but will be fairly slow (under 700fps?). Planning on 450 grains being the heaviest out of that rifle, should still make 600 foot pounds at the muzzle.

Latest posts

Back