Finally part of the morning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Made it to the club today and found myself the only shooter on the 600yd range. Went down and hung targets at 2-3-4 and 500yds.

Shooting the 275gr Fury star tip2 bullets, veggie wad on top of a heavy dose of BH.

Used the velocity reading I got the other day, used the .280BC and JBM. Printed out the settings and they were dead on.

First 3 at 200 went made a single large hole, then I personally started doing something wrong/different and it opened up. Still not bad for not shooting in earnest for 2 years. Not happy with it, but can live with it for the first time out. Need to make some personal corrections. Had a couple "OJ's".

IMG_1703.JPG

Sent them at 300 next. One "I did it", but 5 just less than MOA.

IMG_1704.JPG

I've always liked shooting 400yds for some reason but..... I or something completely fell apart at 400. The 275gr bullets are light for sending 400yds.

IMG_1705.JPG

So...…… the 500yd target is hanging so, why not? I just sent the first round and then the trucks started rolling in with shooters. I had just loaded the second round when doors started opening and shooters started packing things to the other benches. Because of the tactical brake, I told them I'd shoot my second round and call it a day. They covered up and I sent the second round, then they went to hang targets and me to pull mine. Wish I could have sent 3 more after seeing the target.

IMG_1706.JPG

I think that rifle is definitely going to shoot. You'll get there. ;) Still looks pretty good to me.:thumb: Been a Long time since I shot anything that far out and never at paper.

I have not been shooting much this year and it shows for me too.:(

I think that rifle is definitely going to shoot. You'll get there. ;) Still looks pretty good to me.:thumb: Been a Long time since I shot anything that far out and never at paper.

I have not been shooting much this year and it shows for me too.:(

Everything's not always good, so I don't mind showing the bad too. After all the shooting and cleaning is done, I think a lot about what I may have done right or wrong. I had all kinds of time so the barrel never got warm in the 62° weather this morning. My belief is, that I was using my off hand improperly, at least it was a contributing factor IMO.

I just think that the 275's aren't the best bullet to be shooting long range. I'll size up some of the Fury 300gr and try them next trip.
It'll take awhile to get back in the swing of things...…….

It'll take awhile to get back in the swing of things...…….

I know what you mean. Had the 450BM out and just shot a few. Started ok then fell apart. Had not squeezed the trigger on it since last fall. Should not have been shooting it anyway at the moment. I'm going to start small and just shoot the 22lr for a while to work my way back.

looks to me like moa or close all the way
Thanks Bob.
Close I guess except for the 400yd target, which just boggles my mind. I really wanted to send 3 more at 500, but a guy with a youngster set his things on the bench next to me, and shooting with the T-Rex brake with them there just wasn't an option. He tried to convince me to continue shooting, but I knew better with them setting close.
I think I was trying to push that 275gr bullet a little to far too, along with making mistakes on my part. I'm thinking that the 275's are probably good to 300yds but beyond I'd bet the 300gr star tip2 bullets would be a much better choice.
I'll size some of the 300gr bullets for my next trip, run a couple of them over the chronograph here at home and run the JBM program for turret settings. I was really impressed at how accurate JBM was with the known velocity and the .280BC from Fury. I dialed up what the print out stated and never adjusted elevation at any range.
I have 300 Pittman Accumax, but I'm waiting to shoot them without the brake and 84grs weight of BH.

seems you got a plan , rifle shoots good , I think you are right about 275.

Your problem was the target you used at 400 yds. better aiming point on Redfield type targets. You would have missed the 500 yd target completely if it was the load or the rifle.

Your problem was the target you used at 400 yds. better aiming point on Redfield type targets. You would have missed the 500 yd target completely if it was the load or the rifle.
Yeah, I'll use those for archery, which is what they were intended for in the first place.
Its all sand out there, even in the middle of a cedar swamp. Mirage was crazy and I couldn't see the holes, even with the spotting scope.

turn target over and draw the the ten ring or put 3 inch shoot'n see on back

Sized up 50 of the Fury star tip2 300gr bullets today. Loading force is exactly 19# on all.
I need to send a couple through the chronograph and determine the velocity, then find some time to head back to the range.
I'll file a report ….. LOL

Back