Finally Shot Knight UL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
I finally got to shoot today. This is my first go with a modern rifle and BH209. I was limited to 50 yards. My main objective was to get setup for a visit to the range at 100 yards. I was impressed and surprised how much I like this rifle. I bought it used, I felt the price was fair. I changed the breech plug and pulled an old Leupold off a rifle I wasn't using. Other than those changes it is just how I bought it.

Setup:
Knight Ultra-Lite Stainless. Factory bare 209 bolt.
Leigh breechplug with removable vent loners.
EGW 20 MOA base
Warne Rings
Leupold VX-III 3-9X40 with target turrets.

Load:
110 grains BH209
Scorpian PT Gold 300 grains in Crushrib sabot
W209 Primer

The first two shots are low on the paper touching. I feel these better represent what the rifle is capable of. It started raining and I rushed the others. It also possible I'm a weakling, I did not find shooting 110 grains pleasurable.

20220525_121538.jpg
I measured a box of 50 Winchester primers and separated the longer ones for use in this rifle. They worked great in the Leigh plug and came out looking clean.

20220525_121648.jpg
Overall, I'm optimistic about this rifle. Hopefully components start showing up and I can really see what it will do. I will also develop a load with T7 since I have a decent supply of it.

The only issue I had was the Knight ramrod tip separated from the rod. I got it back together, but will probably replace it.

Thanks for all the help and advice so far.

I bought a spin jag gi rod for my mountaineer. It seems to be very good. Glad you made it out to shoot the UL.

Your shots all look pretty good.
I guess they don't call that gun ultra light for nothing. That's the only issue, felt recoil. You could probably cut the charge to 90 grains or so.
You could always drill and pin the ramrod tip.

I'm not familiar with those types of ramrods, but I would imagine you could fix the tip without interfering with it expanding and collapsing? If all you did was to glue it back on.
A good range rod would be a good addition.

Good to hear. Like most all Knights, they are very accurate. I agree, 110gr w 300 isn't fun from the bench. And, you definitely don't "need" that much powder to kill most game. I'm sure you will sort out what load works best for your rifle and shoulder 😁

If it has the Knight factory Easton ramrod with the extendable tip, they are excellent rods. Just secure the jag tightly and you should be good to go!

It is the Easton rod. I’ll try to get it secured. I ordered a GI ramrod and Spinjag. Seems like a solid setup, but I haven’t used it yet.

I replace all my ramrods with the GI rods, they are some of the best I’ve ever used!
I agree, they are probably the best, I have a couple as well. The ONLY way they could be better is if they had an extension like the Knight/Easton rods do. I love that extra few inches it adds. Some rifles absolutely need that or else you have to screw in a handle to get all the way to the bottom (field swab).

I agree, they are probably the best, I have a couple as well. The ONLY way they could be better is if they had an extension like the Knight/Easton rods do. I love that extra few inches it adds. Some rifles absolutely need that or else you have to screw in a handle to get all the way to the bottom (field swab).

I would agree but I’ve not had to field swab since Blackhorn, came out and use a Lehigh range rod for cleaning.

Back