FINALLY... TIME ON THE RANGE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Of course I couldn't stand it being the first day knowing the range was open. Loaded the truck and headed out!

5-21-2020.JPG

First chance to set an actual 100yd zero after all the Satterlee tests.
Arrowhead 300gr XLD

First two cold bore rounds then the adjustment...

IMG_1984.JPG

Mirage was so bad I could barely see the darn targets at range. Virtually no ability to identify a shot with the spotting scope. BAD as I've ever witnessed.

Using the drop chart I made shooting Benchmark, here's my first 500yd target of the year.

IMG_1980.JPG

All I could see at 600yds was an..... outline.... of the entire target. I'll take it for the first long range shoot of the year.

IMG_1982.JPG

Of course I couldn't stand it being the first day knowing the range was open. Loaded the truck and headed out!

View attachment 9052

First chance to set an actual 100yd zero after all the Satterlee tests.
Arrowhead 300gr XLD

First two cold bore rounds then the adjustment...

View attachment 9053

Mirage was so bad I could barely see the darn targets at range. Virtually no ability to identify a shot with the spotting scope. BAD as I've ever witnessed.

Using the drop chart I made shooting Benchmark, here's my first 500yd target of the year.

View attachment 9054

All I could see at 600yds was an..... outline.... of the entire target. I'll take it for the first long range shoot of the year.

View attachment 9055

You'll take it, hunh?

That's ONLY 0.4 MOA at 500 yards, and 0.667 MOA at 600 yards.

Such terrible shooting. NOT!!!

Congratulations on your first long range day back out.

Those bullets obviously like that barrel.

Looks like it will shoot.
The chart always had me on paper. I made adjustments for actual on paper. In the years shooting there, I've never experienced mirage as bad as today. All I could see at 600yds was the outline of that entire target. I just tried squaring the reticle on it and sent them. That was with that charge of Benchmark we talked about.
Five shooters there after learning the range was open. Everybody was good for social distancing but, as always it seems like there's a crowd gathers when they see someone with a muzzleloader shooting at 5 & 600yds.
Thanks Jeff for such a great build. Can't wait for more practice time.

Last edited:
Back