Finally

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twild

Reaction score
Was finally able to become a DWB my wife always said I was nasty so I figured Dirty was a step in the right direction.;) I purchased a G Series Whitetail .410 and have a few questions. I can find very little info about this rifle, I've checked the website and it's not much help. I have plenty of 777 3f and #11 caps and a few of the White 400gr bullets I believe. What and where can I find for bullets now and any load recommendations would be helpful, do you guys a over powder wad and what size? Also my ramrod is flush with the end of the barrel when in the thimble but about a inch shorter than unloaded barrel, so I'm guessing I need to purchase some kind of extension to be able to clean while hunting. Bases, rings, extra parts I might need????

Appreciate any help kinda excited over this one.

I dont own a .410 cal so loads I cant help with. I do however have two White Bison models and yes the ram rod is to short for field cleaning. Loading is fine. I picked up a 4" screw in extension somewhere and carry it in my pack. As far as wads go, I like the wool wads and use one caliber larger than bore size. I would think that 45 cal would be just about right for a .410. I think there is a guy on gunbroker that sells 40 cal conicals for the white. You could of course get into casting if not already and order a custom mold from say Accurate molds or similar. Check out the Doc White Muzzleloading there are articles about your caliber I think.

I have a S91 and a Whitetail never shot the Whitetail much shot the S91 plenty tho forgot about the Tbolt i guess because i've never shot it.I have a few different molds for a 410 cal off the top of my head they start at 300grs to 425grs,i also got some of the 405 win bullets to size down to try { .411 dia }
My hunting load is a lyman cast 410655 bullet { close to 420 grs} and 70 or 75grs of 3f 777 but i started at 60 grs and went up in 5's till Whites max think its 100grs.I cast it with a gas check and use a wad also.The 410 is a tack driver for sure.
Yours just has the open sites??Extra parts are nice to have but not really needed tho.Untill you do lol

https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/product/45-cal-385-grs/ or email: [email protected] don't know if Dan has the .410 conicals, but if so he makes the best IMO and cheaper too!

I had a .410 Whitetail but sold it because not legal in VA. to hunt big game. I could have during modern firearms season, but didn't. Did you get an owners manual that should have alot of information an suggested loads with maximum safe powder requirments.http://whitemuzzleloading.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/whitetail-bison.pdf

Last edited:
I dont own a .410 cal so loads I cant help with. I do however have two White Bison models and yes the ram rod is to short for field cleaning. Loading is fine. I picked up a 4" screw in extension somewhere and carry it in my pack. As far as wads go, I like the wool wads and use one caliber larger than bore size. I would think that 45 cal would be just about right for a .410. I think there is a guy on gunbroker that sells 40 cal conicals for the white. You could of course get into casting if not already and order a custom mold from say Accurate molds or similar. Check out the Doc White Muzzleloading there are articles about your caliber I think.

I'll try to find an extension, order some 45 wads( guessing Track of the Wolf would have them) and try to find the guy on gunbroker I really don't want to start casting right now. I just want to get out and shoot the damn thing. Thanks

I have a S91 and a Whitetail never shot the Whitetail much shot the S91 plenty tho forgot about the Tbolt i guess because i've never shot it.I have a few different molds for a 410 cal off the top of my head they start at 300grs to 425grs,i also got some of the 405 win bullets to size down to try { .411 dia }
My hunting load is a lyman cast 410655 bullet { close to 420 grs} and 70 or 75grs of 3f 777 but i started at 60 grs and went up in 5's till Whites max think its 100grs.I cast it with a gas check and use a wad also.The 410 is a tack driver for sure.
Yours just has the open sites??Extra parts are nice to have but not really needed tho.Untill you do lol

Yep open sites for NOW!! and I hear ya on extra pieces

https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/product/45-cal-385-grs/ or email: [email protected] don't know if Dan has the .410 conicals, but if so he makes the best IMO and cheaper too!

I had a .410 Whitetail but sold it because no legal in VA. to hunt big game. I could have during modern firearms season, but didn't. Did you get an owners manual that should have alot of information an suggested loads with maximum safe powder requirments.http://whitemuzzleloading.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/whitetail-bison.pdf

I have that pdf but that's it and it doesn't say much about the .410. I'll definitely check out those bullets. I've spent the better part of the day on Doc's site trying to find something. Thanks

Sent Dan an email. He said they have good selection of 40 cal that can be sized and to look at the webpage. Well none of them have pics so I have no idea which might be similar to the white bullet. Anyone with an idea?

I had a .410 Whitetail but sold it because not legal in VA. to hunt big game. I could have during modern firearms season, but didn't. Did you get an owners manual that should have alot of information an suggested loads with maximum safe powder requirments.http://whitemuzzleloading.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/whitetail-bison.pdf

I find the Bullshop website very lacking too. There used to be a pic of Bullshop selection of conicals on this site, but it disappeared when the change over to the new site occurred. I would like to review it myself....

There you go!! Thanks Dean that's the one I was referring to. I see he doesn't have a .410 or .540 calibers on there. I ordered some .540 in 380gr this week. I think that's all he offers in .540 he told me it was designed for 1:48 twist, but 1:28 twist would do very well also.

Thanks guys some of those look similar but my bullet has 7 grease grooves on it. Trying to explain it to Dan but probably just confusing him with my gibberish. Actually looks like the NE bullet is almost identical except for the weight. Figured I might try them both if it works out. Surprised no one kept making the White bullets figured there would have been a market for them.

I think that Lyman made something that is close to that and there might be someone casting them. I'll keep an eye out for anyone that making anything that's close to that White bullet.

Tom, try the no excuses website. They have what you are looking for in all calibers and what seem to be reasonable prices.

Here is a old pic from when he lived in AK. It shows one of his 40s.
bullshop.jpg

That's very close to the old White .410s that I sent to twild with the Whitetail.

Dan has a fairly large selection of 40s from 300gr to 400gr+ that would work when sized correctly
https://bullshop.weebly.com/-4041-caliber-cast-bullets.html

I'm sure he does it's just I know what my bullet looks like but have no idea what his bullets look like. I was able to find a image of his RCBS 40-400 bullet and it's close to mine except mine has one more grease groove at bottom of bullet. Dealing through email when I really have no idea what I'm talking about is flustrating at best.

Latest posts

Back