FINALLY

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was hunting private land (family friends) that buts right up against forest service land. I had to "Pack" him about 40 yards to get him to the pickup the rancher brought out after I called back on my radio to let him know I had one down and where I was, luckily me and 4 other guys got him in the truck whole and back to the ranch to hang him on the loader and skin him out that evening. I had a magnum deer Sleigh'R roll up sled along and we used that to slide him over to the private land as we couldn't drive on the forest service. Quartered him in the morning into the coolers. Cordless sawzall comes in real handy as well, split him right down the center of the spinal cord before quartering him out. Had to bone out the ribs/backstraps/sheath meat as the rib quarters wouldn't come close to going in my 120 or 100 quart coolers. Filled 3 all together.

I was all prepped for a hard pack out, as I have done a couple in the past, with frame packs, meat bags, citric acid powder to sprinkle to keep flies off but I was glad I didn't need to.

The rancher also had a very large calf sled and said if we get one in too tough an area we would grab a horse and the sled to get him out.

Congratulations on a fine day hunting, and being blessed to have some of the finest tasting wild game meat to eat for the coming months. Elk is my favorite wild game, with moose a close second.

Back