finding a pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labbypoint

Reaction score
been thinking of buying a black powder pistol , cant believe all the places i look on line are out of stock, . wanted a colt 1860. doesn't matter what it is, primers , powder, guns, every one is out.

i can find primers and 777 powder and pellets and bullets/sabots locally and at my bass pro a little over a hour away . but i find better pricing on bullets/sabots online and much better variety . the more popular bullets can be harder to find and some are out all together . google is your friend .

i found t777 powder on line $75 fee to ship to ny. my family , and friends go to pa, over boarder of ny to buy stuff, they got it .... i guess road trip , coming, my bass pro out of all powder, guns, 209 , they dont know when they will get, i went 3 hours to buy a .308 rife,

Grafs and Powder Valley both have had real black in stock lately, I just got a few pounds last week.

Natchez just had #10 caps in stock AND no hazmat shipping over $99.

Lead balls are plentiful.

Midway has the pistols.

For a pistol try:

Cimarron in Texas
Taylor's Fine Guns
October Country
Dixie

Grafs and Powder Valley both have had real black in stock lately, I just got a few pounds last week.

Natchez just had #10 caps in stock AND no hazmat shipping over $99.

Lead balls are plentiful.

Midway has the pistols.
I havent used #10s in so long, i cant remember. So hard to find them in stock locally, im not sure if i would know how to use a cap that fit properly anymore.

been thinking of buying a black powder pistol , cant believe all the places i look on line are out of stock, . wanted a colt 1860. doesn't matter what it is, primers , powder, guns, every one is out.
I always wanted to try taking a deer with a BP pistol. Unfortunately they are not legal for deer in my State.

As an FFL, the trade magazines are saying things will be opening up this year. The hoarding is about done, and stock is starting to come back. Be patient--and yes--look for the local shops that carry blackpowder to be some of the first to have inventory at realistic prices.

been thinking of buying a black powder pistol ,
After 50 years in and out of muzzleloading I finally bought 3 C&B revolvers over the last year. I've owned side hammer and inline single shots but never a revolver.
They are a lot of fun, and I found the early Colt revolvers are the most naturally pointing handguns I've ever held. No modern revolvers feel as good in the hand as these Colts.
They're definitely worth the time and effort spent finding them.

As an FFL, the trade magazines are saying things will be opening up this year. The hoarding is about done, and stock is starting to come back. Be patient--and yes--look for the local shops that carry blackpowder to be some of the first to have inventory at realistic prices.
I love that optimism. Things will get better. But if they don’t, i will just adapt to the new normal somehow.

yes midway has some pistols, just dont know what i want, still reading . just found a box of t7 50/50, at gun shop. i grabbed it, $33.00.not too bad. now 209 primers , cant find them, and not shipping , with all the fees.

After 50 years in and out of muzzleloading I finally bought 3 C&B revolvers over the last year. I've owned side hammer and inline single shots but never a revolver.
They are a lot of fun, and I found the early Colt revolvers are the most naturally pointing handguns I've ever held. No modern revolvers feel as good in the hand as these Colts.
They're definitely worth the time and effort spent finding them.
I HAVE TO AGREE, and my situation is somewhat similar, although lately I’ve cleaning mine up, and I bought one conversion cylinder for my Uberti Walker. I’m interested in finding an original however, but for less than some imagine the value. So the big question is: How do you clean up a 100 yr-old revolver without damaging it? Tom

I HAVE TO AGREE, and my situation is somewhat similar, although lately I’ve cleaning mine up, and I bought one conversion cylinder for my Uberti Walker. I’m interested in finding an original however, but for less than some imagine the value. So the big question is: How do you clean up a 100 yr-old revolver without damaging it? Tom
Well, anything you do to "clean up" an original will damage the value.... and if you are a younger man (well, not collecting SS for more than a year or two) there's gonna be a lot of widows selling off their stuff at whatever price they remember he said he paid for it "Oh no... I remember he said he paid $40 for it, and brought me a dozen roses with the money he saved... I couldn't sell it for more than he paid for it could I?" Start collecting the originals, eventually the ones you have may be one of the few left.... and for sure, shoot 'em once or twice or at least pop a cap/flash the pan a time or two, 'cause what use is a gun you can't/won't shoot? :)

If you want a "go to the range a few times a year with it" original, or an original to do the Cowboy action shooting thing with, I would look for an original that has already had its collector value greatly diminished by a prior owners action, but in a way that doesn't matter to me. Reblued and incorrect grips? No biggie. Someone boogered the trigger works? If total replacement of interior parts is an option and parts are available, why not? - but the guts will be replaced before I put powder in it .... Someone drilled and tapped it for a rail to mount a red dot? Cool, saved me the trouble.... Did it crooked at home with a dremel tool and a couple of pairs of vice grips? Run Forrest Run! (just kidding - run from extra holes)

Prices went up at Midway recently on M/L pistols. I missed the bus on that one. Still, they have a good selection in stock, but higher than they were a coupla months ago. Story of my life. Stuff I want never seems to go down. Oh, well ..

Latest posts

Back