Finished a father son build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter32

Reaction score
I posted this on Hanks also. I got a lot of help from members here on the builds.

had these built for myself and my old man. I'm no gunsmith, but as many of you know there was certainly more hours put into research than anything else on these guns. I purchased all the parts and then sourced out most of the work locally. I also have a swinglock smooth sizing die. Here's a list of what they are rocking:

700ml actions
Mcgowen pre-fit barrels
Revolution stocks
Harrell's radial brakes
ASG breech plugs
Pillar and glass bedding
Re-worked/tuned triggers
ASG ramrods
Nikon prostaff 7 scopes 3-12x42
Warne steel bases and scope rings

I am very happy with how they turned out and plan on shooting them with 65-70grains h4198 behind a wool wad and a 300gr Pittman Aeromax. If my dad can't handle the recoil I'll go to saboted 200sst and light blue harvester sabots. 60-65 grains h4198. I'm optimistic these guns will shoot well enough for hunting to 500 yards.

[br][br] [br][br][br]

Wow, outstanding looking rifles?
How do they perform?

Merry Christmas to one and all. DJB

Nice rifles. Recoil shouldn't be too bad with a brake. I am shooting 70gr4198 with 300gr (bullets) with no brake in a 11lb set-up and it is not too abusive.

Haven't been on here in a while so thought I'd update this post. They both shoot far better than I can with several groups 1/2 moa out to the 400 yards we've shot them to.

I'm not sure how I missed this when you originally posted it. Those are nice muzzleloaders! Those McGowen barrels can shoot.

What load did you settle on?

Very nice pair of guns. My brother has a smokeless 45 McGowen Remington. Says it's one of the most accurate guns he owns.
My smokeless ML's use Brux barrels, But I have several center fires with Dan McGowen barrels and they shoot very well.

Dan McGowen will make a barrel of your choice for a Smokeless ML. You will have to send him your breach plug and action of choice for fit up and head spacing.
He told me he's gone that rout because of the different Ignition systems and breech plugs. He know has a full time gunsmith working for him to do this. He makes a very good barrel, lapped, load easily and accurate if all else on the gun is done correctly. I have built 5 or 6 cartridge guns with his barrels and they all shot very accurate. 2 belong to me.

Back in the early days of MLII 50cal to 45cal conversions, McGowen was one of the only 2 compaines that worked hard to provide the barrels to people. At first i think there was a middle man. Savage Barrels or something like that. Then McGowen started helping out directly with pre-fits. Back then it was either Pacnor, McGowen or you better have a good smith available who understands SMLs.

That's back when he was a new guy on the block. Today he calls them Remage Barrels for Rem. actions . The Savage actions he started prior.
Don't think he fits anything else in Kalispell. Have to be carefull with the term pre-fit, Pre-fits technically started as cartridge guns only no muzzle loaders that I'm aware of. Hankins uses the term for muzzle loaders but he's not a barrel maker or a gunsmith. He's a gun maker a good gun maker.
I'm sure you can get a pre-fit threaded, no barrel nut, and have A gunsmith breech it and head space. I don't do that work anymore except for myself or family or maybe a good friend. My younger brother does that kind of work. He builds guns in the $2000.00 to $25,000.00 range. The high dollar guns are cartridge guns that normally go to Africa.

Latest posts

Back