"Fireproof" safe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caniborrowsomeammo

Reaction score
I see a forum member inquiring about a "fireproof" safe in the classifieds.
I don't have one, probably never will as I would have to have multiple safes, I do have a locking steel cabinet for a few high dollar items, but for the most part that's it.
Back to "FIREPROOF", a couple years back my town suffered a huge fire, 3000 homes and businesses burned, thereabouts, there was a gunshop in the fire's path, It had multiple safes, still standing after the fire was put out. But everything inside was destroyed. So much for fireproof. No thanks.
I checked a few vids on the YT with gun safes that had gone through a fire, doesn't look too promising.
Seems if you want a fireproof "safe", you would need to build a room using concrete block with a real fire rated door $$$$.
I suppose when I build my next, and final (I promise) house, I'm going to build a room out of block just for that reason.
Any thoughts?

I think the fire rating is for a length of time? The best fire rated safes aren’t going to help if the fire goes on long enough but would in some cases.
I’ve got a full foundation under my front stoop with a concrete floor and ceiling and have thought about adding a block wall with a safe door to separate it from the rest of my basement. It would be fairly fire safe and very secure and would be about 6’x 8’.

Safes are rated for XXX degrees for XXX minutes, well and good.

Problem is how long is going to take to get the fire department there and put the fire out?

Where I live we depend on a Volunteer Department. They have to get to the station, get the truck out and get here. Drop the skid load, hook up the truck and put the fire out. By that time the XXX minutes and XX degrees have been surpassed.

A gun safe becomes an Oven in a Hot Fire. Before buying mine, I watched a Video about safes by a Guy that works for the Fire Dept, and has for MANY Years, He has seen LOTS of Completely Destroyed “High Fire Rated” Safes and ALL Content inside them over the Years. His advice was NOT to buy in to the Fire Rating Hype, You can Pay THOUSANDS of extra Dollars for more Fire Protection. This guy said that EVERY House fire he had been to over the Years Where the occupants were Gone and the Fire was untouched. All contents in Gun Safes were LOST/RUINED

instead of Paying extra for High Fire Rating, his advice was to Buy a HIGH QUALITY, Name Brand Safe with better Security. Have you ever watched any videos of how easily a Cheap Safe can be broken in to? It’s eye OPENING to say the least!! They can be popped open in less than 2 minutes, Even as little as 30 Seconds :oops: After watching a few “Break in to Safe” Videos, This was my deciding factor when i Chose my Gun Safe

I ended up buying a Liberty USA Series 48 Gun that has their Flat Bar Locking Lug system

Last edited:
What about the insurance policy on the guns? Do they say anything about coverage difference between being in a safe and not in one? I havent checked with my insurace agent about gun coverage but will be soon, i think.

Insurance is the route I have went, with an add on policy for my firearms that also covers them when away from home. It wasn’t too expensive.

What about the insurance policy on the guns? Do they say anything about coverage difference between being in a safe and not in one? I havent checked with my insurace agent about gun coverage but will be soon, i think.
My homeowner's policy covers them regardless if they're in a safe. I take pics of the firearm, then a close-up of the serial number and email them to myself in case of loss to fire or theft.

My homeowner's policy covers them regardless if they're in a safe. I take pics of the firearm, then a close-up of the serial number and email them to myself in case of loss to fire or theft.

Same here with my Home Owners insurance, The Safe is just added insurance & peace of mind :lewis:

Homeowners policies usually stop coverage around $2000. For a 20k Ryder it’s an additional $140 per year to cover mine.

yep. It can be covered under personal property portion of the homeowners, but most policies require additional coverage (Ryder)for specific replacements.

Unless you have an old (real) safe, the guns inside will get messed up! "Gun Safes" WILL NOT absolutely protect form a house fire! Been through one 7 years ago.....the safe that we kept documents in got upto 3200 degrees according to the fire department. It was a 110 year old Mosler safe. After we fished it out of the "house" with backhoe, we placed it in the garage. The bronze dial still worked, and the door opened. The money and documents were untouched, but the walls of the safe were 10" thick too. Seen the results of these "fire proof" gun safes, charred and rusted contents. I suppose if you spent a lot of $$ for one, you might find a good one, but the ones you buy at Tractor Supply or Runnings are only good for storage!

Unless you have an old (real) safe, the guns inside will get messed up! "Gun Safes" WILL NOT absolutely protect form a house fire! Been through one 7 years ago.....the safe that we kept documents in got upto 3200 degrees according to the fire department. It was a 110 year old Mosler safe. After we fished it out of the "house" with backhoe, we placed it in the garage. The bronze dial still worked, and the door opened. The money and documents were untouched, but the walls of the safe were 10" thick too. Seen the results of these "fire proof" gun safes, charred and rusted contents. I suppose if you spent a lot of $$ for one, you might find a good one, but the ones you buy at Tractor Supply or Runnings are only good for storage!

:lewis: This mirrors My post #4 above.

Unless you spend a TREMENDOUS amount of money on Something like this AMSEC, You are wasting your money on “Fire Rating” Even this AMSEC at nearly 14,000.00 Dollars ON SALE :) Weighing in at just over 4,500 Pounds Stil has limits to how much Fire it can Withstand. Fire is NO JOKE, and a Safes Worst Enemy. I skipped the “Fire Rating“ Hype, and chose Xtra Break in Protection

AMSEC RF703620X6 TL-30X6 High Security Gun Safe

When I built my house I had section of my front porch and basement excavated. I had my poured foundation guy make me a 20 ft x 6 ft room under my front porch. The walls and ceiling are 10 inch thick concrete with lots of extra steel. I ended up buying a vault door from Golden Spike. I believe the door weighs about 900 lbs. ( It was a bear to install)The room has a climate control, ventilation and a floor drain. It can also double as a fall out shelter or a safe room. I have not had time to finish off the inside as of yet. All my guns are just stacked in there for the time being. Hope to get a chance to finish the inside one of these days.

thumbnail (5).jpgthumbnail (4).jpgthumbnail (2).jpg

"A: Floor safes are great for burglar protection but only offer limited protection against fire. The 5 sides of the safe are surrounded by concrete and will protect the heat from getting inside as long as it is installed correctly (3” of concrete around all sides). The door however is exposed and has no fire material to protect it. It is made of steel only and will heat up in a fire which may damage or destroy your contents. Floor safe manufacturers cannot submit floor safes to Underwriters Laboratory or an independent lab like Intek to test them for a fire rating. This means that all floor safes do not have a lab-tested fire rating."

From AMSEC's website! The $14,000.00 model!

When I built my house I had section of my front porch and basement excavated. I had my poured foundation guy make me a 20 ft x 6 ft room under my front porch. The walls and ceiling are 10 inch thick concrete with lots of extra steel. I ended up buying a vault door from Golden Spike. I believe the door weighs about 900 lbs. ( It was a bear to install)The room has a climate control, ventilation and a floor drain. It can also double as a fall out shelter or a safe room. I have not had time to finish off the inside as of yet. All my guns are just stacked in there for the time being. Hope to get a chance to finish the inside one of these days.

View attachment 14495View attachment 14496View attachment 14497
I'll have to remember this WHEN I win the lottery! Nice setup, and good call on having a fallout shelter too. More people need to remember WHAT CAN HAPPEN!! Hats off to you sir!!

Hatchet Jack,

Very cool the way your building that. One question pops to mind. If you use it as a fall out shelter, how will you lock/unlock it from inside? :think:

Hatchet Jack,

Very cool the way your building that. One question pops to mind. If you use it as a fall out shelter, how will you lock/unlock it from inside? :think:
I don't think he'd lock it(using the door's lock) if he were in there...

Hatchet Jack,

The gray felt panel on the back side of the door lifts out exposing all the locking mechanisms. You end up having total control of locking and unlocking from inside the room.

Latest posts

Back