Firestar Pellets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that looks like a pointless exercise. The proper comparison should have at least included the original 777 pellets

"Hodgdon’s claim of “up to 50 fps” velocity increase is extremely conservative in light of our findings."

Well chuckles maybe you should have compared them to Triple7 pellets.....duuhhhh....Are these guys actual writers that shoot and hunt or???????

"One factor, however, that bears further review is Hodgdon’s other claim for Firestar: that it burns cleaner. We found them very close to the White Hots in that regard, if not quite as clean.

And again Mr Obvious, please compare them to Triple7 pellets.

"At Cabela’s, per-shot, 100-gr. pricing sorted out like this: Firestars @ $.87; White Hots @ $.83; and Triple Seven @ $.72. Given the relatively few shots muzzleloaders fire during a range session or while hunting, we can’t see that as significant."

Oh now you are able to include regular Triple7 in a comparison but of course you used the absolute lowest sale price for the Firestars to make them appear not so expensive. Hello... but real world cost per shot is $1 each or more.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/HODGDON-POWDER-CAL-PELLET-FIRESTAR-TRIPLE/2726008.uts
Regular Price: $22.99...thats for 20 shots.

Full Cabelas price on old Triple7 pellets is $34.99 for 50 shots and $30 for 36 shots of Whitehots. The T7 Mag pellets are about $25/25 shots. This is a very poor job of a review to the point it stinks.

Last edited:
I think that's the part I don't understand. BH has been around for how many years now? I understand that they have a patent on it but why hasn't one of the other companies came out with their own version? Sell it at a little cheaper per ounce and sell a full pound at a time, then sit back and watch the cash flow in. It's probably not that simple but if you're already in the powder business can it really be that hard?

I buy BH209 5# jugs. If I shoot 100 gr vol charges the cost is less than .50 per shot. If it was a buck a shot I would still use it.

As would I if I hadn't switched to smokeless. And even at that there's still times I think about going back to BH because I like being able to measure by volume on site. For sure this fall my kid will be shooting BH.
I'm just saying I'm surprised there hasn't been something out to more closely compete with it.

My whole beef is the review is heavily slanted to make the Firestars look better. Its obvious the writers/editors whoever did this on purpose. The absolute fact is the T7 Mag pellets are slightly cheaper and yield more velocity. Even Wakeman who does not like pellets has confirmed this and its an approved load by Hodgdon. 3 Firestars weigh on average about 12 grains more than 2 old Triple7 pellets. Well anyone with any sense can tell you when you use the same propellant but use more you will get more velocity most of the time. Chemically the new and the old pellets are the same stuff. Shape and weight is the only difference.

I switched from Triple 7 pellets to Blackhorn 209 powder this year. I really like the way it shoots.

I haven't taken the BH209 plunge yet because I just haven't shot my T/C Impact that much-less than 25 shots, have taken 4 nice deer with it + gave an 8pt. a belly rub with a shot that clipped two tiny unseen Mulberry tree twigs enroute. Got maybe 20 white hairs, no blood, fat, nothing. I inherited nice sized box of muzzle loader stuff from a buddy and with what I bought, can probably shoot 150 pellet loads before I get to the unopened jug of T777! All that said, reading the ads on Firestars and what the cherished more experienced shooter say- I am really happy with my SST 200gr .40 in a .50 Hornady sabot over 1 T777 60gr mag and 1 50gr T77 pellet. Posted info here leads me to feel I and getting 3 Firestar+ velocity, with stuff I have and it is shooting 3<1.5" @ 100 yds which is farther than from my blind to the wood line. The two does so far have been almost DRT and 1 w/ .243 DRT and 60 yds.

Back