First 1,000yd match

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep, once on sticks sight to target and exhale , you should stay on target, body alignment, if to high once trigger is released you relax and it will go high if sticks are

Thank you!

When I was cleaning the rifle I had that feeling and thought I'd better ask. There's a lot to learn to do things right off cross sticks.

45-70 and Xring............

Shot 600yds today and again I struggled. Solid ground with the mat and cross sticks. Following wind from the south at 6mph, which changed slightly to the SSW and increased to 9mph or so.
For some reason I just could not get steady behind the rifle today. Dialed to and remained at 26moa with a 100yd zero.
Its not often that I can't make an adjustment but..... that's normally shooting from the bench, not prone and from cross sticks. Its not easy to get the hang of it in a short time.

Here's the target shot today. 12 rounds. First two rounds are the far right.

I have no problem sharing my PP targets :)

View attachment 21354

After getting home and while cleaning the rifle, I was going over the shooting today. I got to thinking that I had raised my sticks. In other words my position behind the rifle was higher. You guys are pros at this type shooting so, was my being higher on the sticks likely to have caused my issue today?????
I never shoot until my sticks are perfect. It will take a little trial and error to find out what is perfect for you. I personally like to get comfy on lower stick placement. If the sticks are too high I get the feeling like I'm balancing on my elbows which equals more movement for me. On the other hand, when the sticks are too low, my cheek weld is off and butt placement is too low in the "pocket". I would suggest that you go out in your back yard and just practice setting the sticks and getting behind your rifle........no shooting necessary. You will catch on pretty quick what is too high and what is too low for you. It is not uncommon for me to get up and re-set my sticks 3-4 times until I feel they are perfect. I've harped on this before but finding your N.P.O.A. on the sticks is really important for good shooting. One more thing to check..........when you are looking through your scope when you are on the sticks, note the crosshair movement that is caused by your heartbeat. Do the crosshairs move in a regular pattern?? X

.................. If the sticks are too high I get the feeling like I'm balancing on my elbows which equals more movement for me. ............. One more thing to check..........when you are looking through your scope when you are on the sticks, note the crosshair movement that is caused by your heartbeat. Do the crosshairs move in a regular pattern?? X

It felt like I was balancing on my elbows and the target shows a lot of movement. There was so much movement I wouldn't know about heart beat... LOL After thinking about it my elbows were way to close together. Yup, way to high. It shot higher also by a minute, which is likely because of what Bob mentioned.

I don't want to just repeat what X said, because he is absolutely correct. Finding your personal Natural Point of Aim is the really important next step. Encore50A, you have put so much time and effort into your rifle, gathering the accessories, and developing the load, and shared it with us, I am certain you will be pleasantly surprised at your results at the match. What helped me find my NPOA was dry firing at an intermediate distance, 200-300 meters, with a laser bore sight in the muzzle. Watching that little red dot dance, and learning how to control it, with tiny adjustments to my elbow spread, wrist rotation, foot pressure, and most importantly, breathing, helped immensely. BTW, 350 grains @ 2173 fps = 3675 ft/lbs! OUCH!

It felt like I was balancing on my elbows and the target shows a lot of movement. There was so much movement I wouldn't know about heart beat... LOL After thinking about it my elbows were way to close together. Yup, way to high. It shot higher also by a minute, which is likely because of what Bob mentioned.
The lower your sticks are, the wider your elbows will be. You'll know when you go too low. It will feel as uncomfortable as having them too high.
Find your happy place! X

.................... BTW, 350 grains @ 2173 fps = 3675 ft/lbs! OUCH!

The recoil isn't much of a problem and nowhere near what I thought it might be. I do wear a PAST recoil pad. I'm used to shooting full charges and 300gr bullets in an Ultimate Firearms BP Xpress, which is not for the recoil shy ;)

When I die and I am standing in front of Saint Peter, and he asks, "Any questions before we send you downstairs?" I will say, "Yea, just one. Why out of every group I shot was there always a flyer! Could you ask HIM that?"
Those groups would be excellent from a bench off a rest, they are awesome off a pair of crossed sticks lying prone. How does that extrapolate out for 800, 900, & 1000 yards?

When I die and I am standing in front of Saint Peter, and he asks, "Any questions before we send you downstairs?" I will say, "Yea, just one. Why out of every group I shot was there always a flyer! Could you ask HIM that?"
Those groups would be excellent from a bench off a rest, they are awesome off a pair of crossed sticks lying prone. How does that extrapolate out for 800, 900, & 1000 yards?

Thanks. I don't want to be a smart ask but, from a bench and rest they must be much better.

1653499965638.jpeg

1653500016058.jpeg

I have no clue what's going to happen at 8,9 & 1,000yds, especially my ability using cross sticks. However.... what a great learning experience will be had! I know who's shooting modern inlines and I hope to learn from each of them.

Question for "X" and 45-70

Chris and I were talking last evening and he brought up the question/s of how we get equipment from one range to the next. He was thinking he might need a wagon. I told him that I ... assumed ... that changing from 800 to 900 and to 1K we would just be using our vehicles, parking behind the line/mound.

How's it done???

you drive from one line to the next and vehicle is parked back of firing line. The firing line is built higher . You then unload your equipment for what target you are on. you will need a loading bench. Some do use wagons but not really needed, you do need radio if you have one , and maybe a stool or chair. Bring a cooler for your snacks and something to drink

you drive from one line to the next and vehicle is parked back of firing line. The firing line is built higher . You then unload your equipment for what target you are on. you will need a loading bench. Some do use wagons but not really needed, you do need radio if you have one , and maybe a stool or chair. Bring a cooler for your snacks and something to drink
Thanks. I thought that was the most likely way. IIRC they did that at Lake City.

I'm all set for a loading bench, chair and I have a pair of FRS radios with new batteries for both days. I'll be set with coolers.

Reservations for RR Inn are made and confirmed. Will be shooting both Saturday and Sunday along with Jeff and Chris and hopefully 45-70 ;)

One more 600yd practice. From then on we'll just have to see how things go. Its going to be fun along with learning.

Well, if it isn't one damned thing it's another. With this knee being replaced AFTER the match :) I made a trip to the primary to have a hacking in my chest checked out. I sure as heck didn't want anything to halt or postpone the knee replacement. So the doc put me on a couple meds, told me if in 7 days it wasn't gone, get the x-ray he had already sent the order in for.
So I get the x-ray and of course have to wait for someone to get around and read it, write up some kind of report and post it for my primary.

Today I get a message from my personal medical site that the x-ray report was ready. If I'm on the ball and check the email and sign in, I can find out before the doc. I read the report and it tells me the diagnosis is ..... Bibasilar Atelectasis ????????? Like you reading this, I wondered what in the hell is that?, so off to Google I go.

Bibasilar atelectasis is a condition that happens when you have a partial collapse of your lungs. This type of collapse is caused when the small air sacs in your lungs deflate. These small air sacs are called alveoli. Bibasilar atelectasis specifically refers to the collapse of the lower sections of your lungs.

Treatment
Treatment of atelectasis depends on the cause. Mild atelectasis may go away without treatment. Sometimes, medications are used to loosen and thin mucus. If the condition is due to a blockage, surgery or other treatments may be needed.

I'm tell'n ya what my ma used to say: "They tell you its the golden years. They just don't tell you its fool's gold."

NOT TO WORRY.......... COME HELL OR HIGH WATER, I'M SHOOT'N THE MATCH :)

Hopefully, it is the mild form. I'm rooting for you brother.
Dam old age does catch us off guard sometimes. Caught me last year but I'm getting better.

Hopefully, it is the mild form. I'm rooting for you brother.
Dam old age does catch us off guard sometimes. Caught me last year but I'm getting better.
Thanks.
Short of the knee replacement, I pretty much thought everything was under control. I guess that's what I get for thinking LOL
Wife's doing good and actually spent a good part of the day outside today.

I'd take the first two shots that went high left as a group :)

I had one that I'll say, "My Bad" but the other 3 I'll take. 600yds prone off cross sticks. 6" shoot-n-c.

Lowering the sticks REALLY helps!

Not bench quality but, for never shooting like this before, I'll surely take it. Lots of fun. Well sorta. I have another Vortex complaint. Won't buy that brand again.

thumbnail.jpg

Back