First attempt casting .50 Lyman Plains Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After examining about a dozen bullets, I kept 5 that weighed right around 400.4 grains with a deviation of .4 grains.

Some of the first ones were frosted and wrinkled during to my mold was still heating up.

These are cast from 100 year old lead from cast iron sewer pipe. Whenever I have an opportunity to do drain pipe replacement, I score lead, and scrap the cast iron.

TSK, TSK less than 1 grain with all of the bullets you casted????? Not too shabby if you ask me! :D We are sure you'll be casting within .5 grains in no time! :lewis:
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Sizing them is a brand new experience. I've reloaded 1000's of rounds when I was shooting Bullseye but never cast or sized any bullets. I always bought them. I really like being able to make my own "boolits"!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Sizing them is a brand new experience. I've reloaded 1000's of rounds when I was shooting Bullseye but never cast or sized any bullets. I always bought them. I really like being able to make my own "boolits"!
Most of us like to cast our own bullets. I do it as I enjoy it, gives me satisfaction that they shoot great and they perform as I expect them to on game.

These are cast from 100 year old lead from cast iron sewer pipe. Whenever I have an opportunity to do drain pipe replacement, I score lead, and scrap the cast iron.
I had to turn down a free sailboat offer some years ago. It had a lead keel that must have weighed over 1000#. What was i supposed to do with a sailboat? It went to the scrapyard.

I could have kept the lead. Except for the cutting it loose from the boat and then trying to cut it up into usable(movable) pieces. That was a big hunk of lead. And covered in bottom paint and growth. What a mess. I'll save the next one for whoever wants it tho.

Looks Good :lewis: The very Top Band should measure close to .508

Get your Mold HOTTER, And your Lead between 790 & 810 Degrees, Shoot for 800

Do you have a Lead Thermometer? If not, I HIGHLY advise one. Without a Lead Thermometer it is a Guessing Game. This is the Best Deal i have seen on them, This is an RCBS without a Logo, Made for Rotometals, This is a good Price on a Good Lead Thermometer :lewis:
https://www.rotometals.com/lead-bullet-casting-thermometer-6/

Looks Good :lewis: The very Top Band should measure close to .508

Get your Mold HOTTER, And your Lead between 790 & 810 Degrees, Shoot for 800

Do you have a Lead Thermometer? If not, I HIGHLY advise one. Without a Lead Thermometer it is a Guessing Game. This is the Best Deal i have seen on them, This is an RCBS without a Logo, Made for Rotometals, This is a good Price on a Good Lead Thermometer :lewis:
https://www.rotometals.com/lead-bullet-casting-thermometer-6/
I measured .503" on the middle band and when checked my bore, it went about half way with some resistance. My bore slugged .501/.511 so should I size to my bore .501?
My Lee bullet caster is a small 275 watt pot. I will get a thermometer and allow my lead to heat up longer to get to 800 degrees.

I put the mold in the lead until it heated up. Only lost the first 6 or 7 until they dropped without anything that looked undesirable.

Latest posts

Back