First blood for the 300 grain XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had these bullets for a decade. Never shot anything but paper with them. Had one down bore for bear ( why I had them to begin with) and decided to use them for deer. Dont want to be wasteful...
Anyway, had 2 spikes goofing around, they're safe under our 3 on a side rule, and suddenly this one shows up.
She gave me an 80 yard broadside and Calico put it on the money.
The hit was a little forward, but scored both lungs. She wanted to run, but couldn't manage it. She staggered a bit and tipped over while I was reloading.
The damage these non magnum 45 cal 300' s do is impressive. Muzzle velocity is 1500 fps ( chrono'd)
This is Calico's second deer. It would be impossible to be happier, or more impressed with her, and not be both ungrateful and greedy.
Going back to see about a buck. Or maybe another doe...

Attachments

• 20201128_070520.jpg
    20201128_070520.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 49
A banner day! I got my 2nd, and my bud got a double main beam 8 pointer!
The owner of the orchard is thrilled at our success! The deer do tremendous damage to his trees and fruit. Needless to say, I'm happy to help him out. This means I can give meat to both of my daughters. They basically grew up on venison.
The original " fast food"!

Attachments

• 20201128_122838.jpg
    20201128_122838.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 17
The 300 does a fine job. The 2nd doe was a perfect heart shot. The heart was literally blown apart.
Now that I have something to compare it to, I believe the 250 may be just a wee bit better for deer. They seem to open a bit faster than the 300s. Both are fine bullets and you couldn't go wrong with either.
As touching " fruit fed" I whole heartedly agree! Both are PLUMP tasties and these are the 4th and 5th deer I've taked in this orchard. Sweet doesn't beging to describe the meat...

Congratulations on both of your deer and one shot harvest for each.

Great job! Nice harvest. Personally i use the.452 300gr.mag And crush ribs. I ran out last hunt and ended up with sierra 4515 300gr soft points. Waiting to try them out fri for ml opener. Got 2 doe with the xtps this year. Both dropped where they stood. Love the accuracy and knockdown power!

Back