First day of ML in VT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenMtnHunter

Reaction score
Thursday was the open of the four day, ML “antlerless tag only” here in VT. TC PH/w a WS barrel, 250grn Hornady red tip over 110grns of Hodgdon FF. I was out early; nothing. Then firewood, etc, and a late start for the evening “hunt"; there’s just about 45 minutes of legal light, so I'm about halfway to a tree stand before I decided to just pull up, and sit on a stump not too far from a trail I know well. Turkeys, squirrel, blue jays, etc. nice evening. At 10 minutes remaining, the skies were clear; light in the forest was good, and I heard “snuffing” in the creek bed, just 40 feet away, down the other side of the knoll I’m on. I could not see anything, so I was thinking porcupine...and a large black bear stepped into the trail and turned my way...scope up, even at 3x, now 30 feet away?, just a black ball. I drop my eye to the side of the barrel and there’s little “woof” as the bear takes a step closer... Tho I have a tag, I do not want to process a bear on an unusually warm night in VT, so I was most relieved when in the same moment, it suddenly swapped ends and jumped a couple steps away... Then it SLOWLY stepped a couple paces, stopped, and turned back to look at me; stepped and turned; stepped and turned;...and then it just vanished into the wood...NOW! my heart is pumping... I can see at least three “stumps”...no movement. I sit still; watch and listen; nothing... With about two minutes of “legal light” to go, I stand, side-step back to the trail I came in on, the same one the bear turn up, flick on my little red headlamp, and about-face toward the house...And for a heart stopping instant, the very old, moss covered, large pine stump, about 40 feet in front of me almost makes me cry out! I’m headed back out there. Enjoy the season!

That encounter would definitely get the blood pressure up. Ma and I were taking a late fall walk on a trail near our cabin and had 8 wolves step out on the path about 30 yards away. It didn't take them but a blink to disappear but having that many 100 pound plus wild dogs that close was a bit disarming.

That encounter would definitely get the blood pressure up. Ma and I were taking a late fall walk on a trail near our cabin and had 8 wolves step out on the path about 30 yards away. It didn't take them but a blink to disappear but having that many 100 pound plus wild dogs that close was a bit disarming.
Yikes! Black bears and big ‘yotes are all I need..enjoy your walks!

Back