first deer for the scout conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
Well I didn't take any pics, but I took a large doe yesterday evening at 209 yds. with the CVA scout conversion. First deer Iv'e shot at with it, the load was 45 gr of Imr 4227 and remington expander 250 bullet which is the same bullet as the barnes 250 tez, and a wool wad. Bullet hit her quartering to me through the shoulder blade angling back behind the shoulder on opposite side and exited with quarter size hole. even the entry seemed larger than the bullet and there was alot of blood to follow as she made it 45 yds. I like blood trails and am not used to getting them with a muzzleloader. I needed this meat for a landowner who lets us hunt her land, she really looks forward to us bringing it to her.

I think this load was getting something over 2300 fps and I'm happy that it expanded like it was supposed to at that range.

have dropped two more deer with this scout in the past week, a 15 inch 8 pt and a 19 1/2" wide buck with very thin poor rack, 190 and 150 yds with same load and complete penetration with the barnes bullet and both dropped right there. sorry I don't have the smarts to do pics.

this load is very sweet in this gun, it doesnt kick much at all and has plenty of killing capability at 200 yds. I'm sure it's good past that too but I have to have a better rest system figured out for that because of my nerve damage and instability with the back of the gun.

I don't think this load is anywhere near causing the leupold vx3i 3.5-10x40 any harm, ya have to watch that with these break actions.

I shot the gun the other day just to make sure it was still on and at 215 yds with a bullseye hit, and then just for curiosity I tried it at 273 yds. held 6-7 inches high and put the bullet right in there. I'm amazed by these little conversion guns.

Back