First Harvest with a Muzzy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have friends with peep sights that will stretch to about 150 or so but I think 100 yards is my sweet spot.
I had to belly crawl 242 yards to get within that 100 yard distance.
I may have sent my wife a selfie when I was crawling 😂

Attachments

• 2ACED19C-CC1A-408E-8B81-4189BA7DDB32.jpeg
    2ACED19C-CC1A-408E-8B81-4189BA7DDB32.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 51B7F2F1-EB85-4DBD-A21E-0519157E1BAA.jpeg
    51B7F2F1-EB85-4DBD-A21E-0519157E1BAA.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 21
Ya, I wouldn’t shoot any farther and I was laying prone which gave me a very stable rest. Since I’m new at Muzzleloading, what is considered an ethical distance?
I had practiced at 100 all summer and felt comfortable but is a 100 yards something people consider unethical?
I hope I can be helpful here & in layman's terms ( thats all I know & the best I can do ). Many use a ballistics calculator to determine what range that charge with that bullet and the kinetic energy downrange that bullet delivers upon impact in ft lbs ke. From what I've gathered is for deer in particular ( for this example ) somewhere between 900 & 1000 Ftlbs Ke as " Ethical kill " parameters. So at whatever distance your bullet slows in speed & energy falls in that range. That is your max effective range ethically. Plz do more research on this & practice out to that range. I solely use my Accura V2 .45 for 200yds & IN only ( NOT sayin that thats the guns MAX range. Just MY max range for what & where I'm using it for. Thats all. I'm sure it would still do well at 250yds ) & shooting T7 with 200gr .40 cal sabots & the Fury .453 STB's in 250 & 265gr are fantastic bullets for this gun. ( a sizing die will be needed & a dial indicator or calipers would be helpful as well) I'd prefer the 250gr but shot them all, only 265gr left. The gun likes them both as well as I do.

I hope I can be helpful here & in layman's terms ( thats all I know & the best I can do ). Many use a ballistics calculator to determine what range that charge with that bullet and the kinetic energy downrange that bullet delivers upon impact in ft lbs ke. From what I've gathered is for deer in particular ( for this example ) somewhere between 900 & 1000 Ftlbs Ke as " Ethical kill " parameters. So at whatever distance your bullet slows in speed & energy falls in that range. That is your max effective range ethically. Plz do more research on this & practice out to that range. I solely use my Accura V2 .45 for 200yds & IN only ( NOT sayin that thats the guns MAX range. Just MY max range for what & where I'm using it for. Thats all. I'm sure it would still do well at 250yds ) & shooting T7 with 200gr .40 cal sabots & the Fury .453 STB's in 250 & 265gr are fantastic bullets for this gun. ( a sizing die will be needed & a dial indicator or calipers would be helpful as well) I'd prefer the 250gr but shot them all, only 265gr left. The gun likes them both as well as I do.
Perfect! I appreciate the advice!

I've used Muzzy broadheads, and as an archer, I thought you were shooting your bow.

Okay, I'm quite jealous, as I have yet to draw for antelope. I'm also here in ID. 100 yards is right in the wheelhouse. I took the Muley in my avatar at 153yds, but that was over a log, and I was able to slide my legs under, so it was like shooting off a bench. And it had been at 134 yds when I'd first measured it with the laser, so that's what was in my head. Not something I'll likely repeat. What bullet did you wind up using, by the way?

Last edited:
Okay, I'm quite jealous, as I have yet to draw for antelope. I'm also here in ID. 100 yards is right in the wheelhouse. I took the Muley in my avatar at 153yds, but that was over a log, and I was able to slide my legs under, so it was like shooting off a bench. And it had been at 134 yds when I'd first measured it with the laser, so that's what was in my head. Not something I'll likely repeat. What bullet did you wind up using, by the way?
That’s awesome! I have a mule deer tag this year as well and if I can’t get it done with my bow I’m going to try and use the accura!
I was shooting a 295 powerbelt with 90 grains of triple 7.

Latest posts

Back