First Inline - H&R Huntsman in .58 caliber load data advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnnhntr

Reaction score
I am new to inlines, but not muzzleloaders, and wanted to try an inline. I mostly shoot flintlocks and just can't bring myself to using a stainless/synthetic muzzleloader. So, I found an H&R Huntsman in .58 caliber in good condition, with the threaded breech plug at what I consider to be a fair price. I am thinking that a good place to start loading for it will be a .570 round ball, .015 patch, and 70 to 90 grains of FFg black powder or a .58-caliber Minnie ball lubricated with SPG and 60 to 80 grains of FFg black powder. If you have experience with the H&R Huntsman in .58 caliber, do these seem like reasonable places to start for loads?

Great rifle. Your round ball loads idea is fine, I think you will find best accuracy at the high end of the load range. It's unclear what Minie bullet you are using. I have used the Lee Modern Minie with good results down around 50 grains of Pyrodex P grade powder. Lee Real bullets at around 53 g Pyro P but accuracy is only about 3" groups at 50 yards.

Back